Wittman Tailwind build with lots of pics

Okay than block is not the right word, its a sheet but just a little to big for me, specialy when I want the model as lightweight as I can.

To go further on the cowl here is the location for the landinggear.

Because of the mod to the cowl the landinggear needed a differant location and will go into the balsa sheet between former F1 and a partly F1.

The balsa will get a grove with two vertical holes for the gear wire so it can handle the landing load.

F1 is ready to take the cowl and hatch construction, but first we need to make some cad drawings for the parts.

Ready to cut some parts.

Ton

Edited By Ton van Munsteren on 24/04/2011 21:06:51

Don't know how much I will save but I gess that it would be easier to find a lightweight 3mm sheet than a 1/2"sheet, it's difficult enough to have good balsa thies days.

And than the hollowing out is not my thing always scared of going to far so it stay's to thick.

Not hoping that I will get regret designing my own construction and going the more difficult route, the radis underneat is very small so will be a good challange to get the balsa in place.

Ton

Peter,

Yes the planking is done and was not all that difficult and good fun.
Made strips of 5 mm width and soaked them in water and set them in a curve around a tin can.
Leaved them to dry overnight and glued them and must say that Iam happy with the result.

Danny,

Iam having as much fun doing cad then building a model so when its hobby its great time to spend.
Must confess your totaly right, same for me being hopeless free form shaping.
And having fun doing cad makes for me the choice easy.
Is it easier to go this route well not always the drawing was not that difficult but the planking needs some patience, because making a radius in cad is so much easier than making that radius with a strip of balsa.

Ton

Looking very nice. I will say that at the radii involved it is not necessary to wet the wood or preform the curve.

My next design for RCM&E (not counting the two on file) will have a fully planked fuselage about 6" wide and 8" deep and 36" long less cowl.

I have to say that I have no experience of CAD. I use Compufoil to design my wings but even then I trace the Compufoil wing out on my paper plan. I have to see the design full size on paper.

For the top it was not needed to wet the wood, but for the lower part it was sure needed.
Did make a test with dry balsa stringers but they broke, so I had to soak them in water and prebend.

Great to hear you have some more designs waiting to come out any pics to show us.

For me making a drawing in cad is fun and I can print anything I want to have the plan fullscale when the model is build.
But than again Iam not always using a plan with the construction using tab connections and selfaligning, mostly only some pics are needed from 3D view to build my model.

here some more pics of the Tailwind nose.

Inside of the hatch Looooots of space.

Stringers to make a start on the lowerside of the cowl.
Wet and prebend on the Nivea can.

Comming along nice not the easiest job but for me good fun.

Some more stringers soaked and waiting to be bend.

Not bad with a piece of balsa.

Waiting to dry.

So not bad and happy with the result.

Some more pics will follow tomorrow.

Ton

A very nice, neat job of planking there.

My Fournier and Vintage Sandow are on file with RCM&E. My Super Acro is on file at Model World and I have just finished my Dalotel for Model World and am waiting to test fly it.

Got at least five more designs lined up on the "To do" list.

THis is the Super Acro. 44" span, .25 engine. a little heavier than I like but fully aerobatic.

Matt,
Thanks iam doing me best.

Danny,
Thanks yes going well with the Tailwind, the DH60 is getting closer by the minute.

Peter,
Thanks , man do you even sleep and eat with all those designs coming of the board.
Just keep on going love you designs and please post some more pics.
Specialy interrested in the Dalotel (better send that one to RCME) that one is high on my list is it with retracts and do you have pics of the real plane.

Have seen many years ago the model of Chris Foss fly on the Nationals and loved that plane rightaway but foto's are rare on the internet.
Know that the full scale is damaged and tucked away in a hangar some ware such a pitty of a plane like that.

Some more pics of the Cowl :

Ton

Very nice cowling indeed.

The Dalotel is 55" span and does have retracts. It was scaled from Chris Foss's own 3 views. I have pictures in the camera and will post some later.

I also found a website with masses of detail and photos of the bare airframe etc.

I am afraid that it has been promised to Model World. but you should still be able to get the plans when it comes out.

Yes, I do sleep, I seem to model and sleep with short breaks to cook my meals. OH, and I don't build as neatly as most people do so that is a bit quicker.

Edited By Peter Miller on 30/04/2011 08:47:50

Edited By Peter Miller on 30/04/2011 08:49:09

Thanks for the pics Peter looks realy nice has it been maiden yet.

Also thanks for the link of the site some great pics there and most new for me so downloaded them all, will be of good use in the future.

So have done some more on the Tailwind here an update ;

Some pics for motivation.
Have seen lots of Tailwind's on the net with some great colors but most of them had some changes on the plane it self which made it less interesting.
Will stick to the version Peter did I like this one the most, so will order some Oracover for the final step very soon.

This is how my landinggear sits.

This will hold the lading load just fine (I hope)

The wire in place which holds the tube for the wing wire.

A plywood insurt for the tailwheel which will be stearable.

Some more pieces of balsa to smoothen up the frame.

The top stringers in place.

The Tailwind on its own feed.

Ton

• 4 weeks later...
Iam getting a little bit closer to the maiden with a lots of small things do , which are not my favorite part of the build .

I do love the construction build but when it comes to the final part of finishing and mounting the radio it always slows down.

Still done some thing so here is a update;

Not my favorite material but Depron can sometimes be of good use.

Dashboard ready to take a pic of the big one.

The tube flatten on the oudsite of the fuse to hold the strut.

The kwiklink as per plan wood also work but this is more my thing.

Its getting its color already could not wait to start covering.

Have some more pics but they will follow later.

Ton

Hi Tony, Looking great.

At last the Dalotel has flown. It flies like a pattern ship, rock steady. Doesn't like outside loops, needs a little more power for them and for sustained knife edge. Otherwise great

In a couple of weeks or so I hope to be starting a new build blog of a new model. I think it will bow your mind.

• 1 month later...

Oke we did get a little of topic with the other models from Peter so time for a update.

The fuse has the basic color.
So on with the elevator with the first step connecting left and right

Needs a little senading before covering.

To make life easy I placed the servo's close to the tail.
To be honest this was done some time ago and did made a little
difficult to get the CG on the correct spot, more about that later.

Supervisor Charlie is checking every thing Iam doing, but also needs a
little break from time to time.

Wiring in place for the flap and Aileron servo's

Also a block of hard wood in place for the Nylon wingbold.
More pics to follow.
Ton