Wittman Tailwind build with lots of pics

Hi Peter,

Have some more pics to show so here we go,

The struts

The strut fuse side is with wire hooked in place the wing side is
alu strip and will be mounted on the wing with a screw.
Space enough for a 3S lipo 3300ma which was also neede to get the CG correct.
The first though was using a 2200ma batt.

Look good enough for me to have that first test flight.
Ton

Sorry no pics of the maiden which went just super and as smooth as silk.
With the small size aileron good controle and to have that even better made a mix with rudder.

Knowing the lipo would hold at least a 20 min flight and having so much fun doing landings and takeoff I did at least 10 of them and also did some flap landing and take offs.

Needed a little aileron trim and some elevator but not much, with the Tailwind flying just very nice.

With the small motor a loop from level flight is no problem and also a roll with aileron and rudder mixed is no problem, not pattern style but just nice and better than expected.

Had the cowl hatch fixed with some magnets wich are to small and after another loop the cowl came lose at one side but did stay on the model and made a quick landing with no problem at all.

Ton

Thanks Danny for the quick reaction had the maiden alreday as you can read and also a little vdo from last weekend the Tailwind can be seen at 2:10 the landing was again with the cowl comming lose so made a quick landing with a little bounce.

Yes it works what can I say more than the Tailwind is a winner and will do lots of flying with this model , thanks Peter for a great design.

Ton

Edited By Ton van Munsteren on 13/07/2011 20:10:00

Thanks Danny,
The scale takeoffs are the most fun to do.

Thanks Tim,
Yes the multicopter is nice with the Hely's being replaced by the multicopter, last sunday there were about 5 or 6 of them and lots of switching of the boards looks like we will see some loops and rolls soon.

Not my kinda thing Iam more the Tailwind and Spifire and Beaufighter guy, which I flown all last sunday.

Danny, cant wait to see your Spitfire doing its maiden and having fun doing those great victory rolls.

Ton

Hi Danny,
Same here for me to stay motivated working on my Fiat and start drawing of the DH60.
Not doing anything much more than making a drawing in 3D of another favorite of mine the Kingfisher. This also being a stepup to more 65" warbird specialy the less known.
Iam kinda happy now just got an email from the shop that my Eflight retracts are ready to be picked up which will be my motivation for the Warbirds.

Would be great to meet and drink that beer living in Dordrecht near Rotterdam and Utrecht is about an hour away no problem for me to make that visit to fot that chad and beer, your also welcome in Dordrecht have to work another week than 3 weeks holiday (working on the bathroom)

David, thanks sorry have to ask how's your Tailwind.

Peter, thanks and yes did some stearing only with rudder and works very nice, was also nice surprised that the rudder has some good effect on the roll and are some good help for the ailerons.

Chrisie, thanks and yes the funniest thing is to making a scale takeoff is more difficuld because the Tailwind want to take to the air all the time.
The takeoff run is only at 50% powersetting with full power it will take off in about 10 mtr or sooner but thats not my thing I like the lond smooth scale takeoffs.

Ton

Posted by Ton van Munsteren on 14/07/2011 20:54:31:
Hi Danny,
Same here for me to stay motivated working on my Fiat and start drawing of the DH60.
Not doing anything much more than making a drawing in 3D of another favorite of mine the Kingfisher. This also being a stepup to more 65" warbird specialy the less known.
Iam kinda happy now just got an email from the shop that my Eflight retracts are ready to be picked up which will be my motivation for the Warbirds.

Would be great to meet and drink that beer living in Dordrecht near Rotterdam and Utrecht is about an hour away no problem for me to make that visit to fot that chad and beer, your also welcome in Dordrecht have to work another week than 3 weeks holiday (working on the bathroom)

David, thanks sorry have to ask how's your Tailwind.

Quite flat and papery at the moment Ton

It needs some small ish repairs to the cabin area and a new cowl.

It is designed for ic power so might be a bit heavier than one modified for electric.

When I need more space I dump the models out side ina big shed. Or if they need serious repairs they get cremated.

Edited By Peter Miller on 16/07/2011 11:00:46

Cheers Tony..
I fly from the farm I live on. My field is OK for landing small stuff, but too bumpy for take offs, so I use the farm yard, the only concrete / tarmac I have to use.. If it doesn't get air in 30 feet, it'll fly into my landlords 16th century black n white farm house..!!!
How are you using your flaps..?? Do you use them on TO..??

Peter, i'm sad to hear your TW has already done its duty...

Luv
Chrisie... xx

Peter,

Sorry to hear the Tailwind has some damage, the repair would make a great article for RCME.
Always good to have a shed as dump space.
Not surpriced that your not having any regret losing a model looks to me that you crash one and build another two at the same time for next day flying.

Chrisie,

My tailwind is 1300gr and it could have been 1100gr when the servo's come forward and to get a lighter weigth batt.
The takeoff would than be 3-5mtr max or less, on my next outing I will try to have the shortest takeoff from grass I think it will be about 5 mtr.

Used the flap on landing and also on takeoff, when flaps selected the model pitches nose down and gives a lot of braking effect.
Good fun to use but have to get used to it as with every model.
There are no bad or strange reactions though but hold the power up a little.

Your model is a little smaller am I right and did you fly it already seeing the pics it looks just very nice.

Ton

It is just that some models really click and I love flying them while others are nice but don't really turn me on.

My favorites are my CAP 21, my Fourniers, My Big Ship, my Slingsby T31M and my fabulous Rhapsody, my oldest model and still flies like a dream. Vertical climb from take off to well over 2000 feet accoring to the "how high" fitted, Some of the fastest flick rolls ever seen. Add to that it is one f the most beautiful planes I have designed..

I am surprised that you got a nose down pitch with the flaps. I didn't notice any real trim change on mine.

Peter , maybe my flaps go a little to far out and are more or less used as a airbrake.

Maybe I have to reduce them how many degree do you use on the Tailwind.

By the way would love to see a topic with all the models you designed through the years how many would that be any gess.

Ton

Edited By Ton van Munsteren on 17/07/2011 00:52:11