Wittman Tailwind build with lots of pics

Have always liked the Tailwind as an aircraft and wanted to build one some day.
Seeing Peter's model in the RCM&E made me think that this was just the perfect size for me.
No problem making it electric and with some changes it would also lose some weight.

Thanks for the design Peter .

Have made some pics already and the build is good fun'

Ton

Ton
I've been at this one for a while now and have just about completed the wings and am now starting to look at the fuselage. I have a problem with the front of the cabin area so hope you get there first !!! The front uprights are laminated but I can't see how far they go into the cabin roof and interface with the cross members

I'm going electric too and this will be my first aircraft with flaps, and only my second plan build, first was the recent Luton Minor featured elsewhere on this site

Looking forward to your thread developing

David,
I will do my very best to get you motivated , the model is good fun and the fuse is massive. Funny how a fuse on a plan looks so small and in real life its getting bigger all the time. Not yet selected a motor but thinking of using about the same setup as my flying boat a Typhoon 15/10 on a 3S lipo 2200mah pack. Or a Typhoon T29 or what ever crosses my path. Any suggestions !!!

Peter,
Must admit that Iam kinda happy that David browbeat you in to designing the Tailwind.

Danny,
Great to see you hear I will do my very best.

Dave,
Great to see your watching this build and hope my pics will help you build your model.
Please keep in mind that I sometimes go my own way and deviate from the plan design.
Great to see youve taken the step building your model from plans its so much more fun.
There are lots of nice models comming by as a free plan and so much nice models to build. Would love to see some pics of your Luton Minor is it flying already, almost started that one to. And please don't hesitate to post youre Luton and Tailwind pics in here would.

Ton

Edited By Ton van Munsteren on 24/03/2011 21:06:32

Hiya Ton, I'm not usually so gushing but it really is a delight looking at your work, you are a master. I am just about to build my first model for about 20 years (The Webbit) and if I can achieve this with a fraction of your skill I will be elated. Cheers my friend and keep posting those pictures, in my view one of the highlights of this great magazine.

Geoff

Interesting to see the different sequence being used in the construction here.

Mainly the stringers sbeing added to the sides before bending and leaving the strut attachements off F-2 until after building the fuselage side. They would have been MUCH easier to attach tomthe former before assembling the formers and sides.

I will also be interested to see how you are going to fit the undercarriage..

Oh well, plenty of room to work inside the fuselage

Did not mentioned earlier but did modified the sticks location at the location where they would meet the formers. Moved the stick 3mm backwards so the modified former could sit on the stick and not only against it sideways. This setup made the alignment a lot easier for me gleuing the sides to the formers.

There was a lot of tension in the sides when building up the frame work, but with some clamps it worked out just nice.

Not yet sure if I wil go for the kwiklink setup on the F2 former or use a small piece of strip and use the kwiklink on the side of the strut.

Not sure about the landinggear, the way it is as per plan looks good so thinking of using that, need to use some more on there because I thinks my liteply would not be strong enough ony 3mm thick.

With the construction of the fuse well underway I need to focus on the cowl it looks good but iam thinking of a splitt version for good acces to the batt pack.
Or make a hatch on the bottom of the cowl so the top will stay smooth and clean.

Ton

Liteply will not, repeat NOT be strong enough for the undercarriage. The very minimum would be 1/8 ply with backers. You could laminate 1/8" ply to the back of F-1. Thinking about it, you could make the torsion part of the leg longer so that the uprights are nearer the centre of the fuslage. That might reduce the shock loading on the mounting a bit .

Did you reduce the size pof the fuselage memebrs to 3/16" as I suggested. Also, glueing the side stringers on before bending will have made the sides even stiffer.

The strut attachment with the quick link in the fuselage is far neater than you can ever achieve with the quick link in the strut. I have now used this system on two Slingsby T31Ms that use four struts and the Tailwind.

The quick link in the strut is messy and the quick link is bigger that the strut and will have to be fully exposed. With my system the strut remains smooth right down to the fuselage side.

What you do with the cowl is up to you, it is just a fairing for the front end.

Peter

re your system of Book Tape and Diamond tape for the ailerons and flaps....do you do this before covering so that it in sealed by the covering or does it go after the covering on top of the covering ?

This may be obvious to many but not me !!!! Thanks in advance

Dave

After the model is covered. they don't show up as they are both crystal clear.

I am not sure what effect heat would have on them for a start and not sure how film would stick to them.

So far the various models that I have used it on, Luciole, Wittman Tailwind RV-3 have all worked well. The glider boys use this system too. I nicked it from them.

Peter,

Yes correct its not strong enough and will laminate don't know yet how many layers and how but will get there in time.

The stringers are all 6x6mm as per plan and the side stringers have also been glued before building up the fuse, no problem but yes would have made it easier to glue them later. The sides are very strong and needed some good clamps to pull together.

Not sure what route to go with the strut with the kwiklink in the fuse you need to make the hole bigger than the link because it needs to open for mounting the strut. One thing is sure it must be fast losen and attach because when I am on the feild I want to fly and not build the model.

Thanks for your help Peter good fun talking to you in the thread.

Ton