Any one had experience of the Extra wot

r6dan

I really want a bigger 3D/sport plane but all the ARTf`s seem to be built so lightly they break at the slightest heavy landing unless someone knows of  better built artf kits, so the extra Wot looks good and it could be flown in a gale,what do you lot think?

Edited By r6dan on 26/03/2011 18:54:49

Advert

I should think it would be very important to get personal experience reports of the quality.

After me Wot4 FoamE, I would not go near Ripmax with a 30' barge pole.

If the quality is OK from new, then it might be OK, but would it really perform like a proper 3D machine?

Light planes slow down quicker, and they don't hit the ground so hard, a heavier one arrives hard, and more stress is put on its structure, so maybe the light weight and construction doesn't always mean more damage on a hard landing

Steve, you may be right about the lower weight/easly damaged ratio...

WOAH OMG RONFLMAO...hold on one sec.......£285.75 for the xtra wot build kit 

Change of mind..... 

Edited By r6dan on 26/03/2011 19:36:13

Edited By r6dan on 26/03/2011 19:38:34

r6dan, yes very pricey, Have a look at Galaxy Models web site for the Mystic.. Similar spec to e/wot, wing span 75 inches, with foam wings. Legendary flier, been around for many years, can do the book, but I don,t think 3d might be possible. The price £102, and IMHO a better looking model. Flies on a 91 4/stroke. Cheers

Posted by fly boy3 on 26/03/2011 21:43:51:
r6dan, yes very pricey, Have a look at Galaxy Models web site for the Mystic.. Similar spec to e/wot, wing span 75 inches, with foam wings. Legendary flier, been around for many years, can do the book, but I don,t think 3d might be possible. The price £102, and IMHO a better looking model. Flies on a 91 4/stroke. Cheers

i'll 2nd the above...the mystic(75in) .... is a vice free model...i've seen them with petrol engines in also....and they are fantastic value for the money.......

ken anderson ne..1.

• 6 months later...
Yeah, Chris doesn't do T'internet much (if at all). I think there was a forum but I never saw it.

I've not seen a new kit so can't comment on the standard.

My XtraWot has been flown quite a lot recently, it came with a new ASP 120 two-stroke and I had lots of trouble getting it to run properly. I thought it was because it needed running in but after two hours running I doubted that. It was cutting out in the air (straight and level!) and wouldn't pick up cleanly, no amount of high and low mixture tweaking made any difference.

The problem was the carb, I fitted a 7D carb from an old OS 90 FSR (which despite the name is a two-stroke) and it transformed it. The carb drops straight in. Plenty of power for it.

I fancy the two-seat canopy and spats version meself!! A steerable tailwheel would be useful as well, mine has the supplied skid and it doesn't always go where I want it to on the ground!!

GB

The 7D is quite different in design to the carb that came off the ASP 120, the low end mixture control can only move about 20 degrees each way. There is no online manual for the ASP 120 but there is for the Magnum 120 which is the same thing with a different name! Good engine, rubbish carb!

I did think about putting the OS 90 in the XtraWot as I was getting desperate. I had been given that engine years ago and as luck would have it I'd spent a while cleaning it up to run it including the carb (it looked like it had been in a peat bog for 50 years!). I will bench run it because it feels good and was in good condition under the gunge.

I've got a ST G3250 new in its box, did ponder fitting that for a few seconds!!

Are you flying your XtraWot yet? Lands backwards on windy days!!

Cheers

Gary

• 5 years later...