My first Prang

Well I had an eventful day at the field today. I have not long become solo and enjoying every minute of it.
Today started of fantastic, I had 4 very successful flights with very smooth landings and my confidence was getting as high as the plane, then I decided to have one last flight before heading home. Take off was fantastic and flying was spot on, loops, rolls awesome. Then time to land, approach was good speed was just right all three wheels touched floor at same time smoothest yet, then as hurtling down runway trying to slow down I didn't realise how close the windsock pole was to side of runway until my Boomerang was trying to climb it.
Head on crash quite fast into steel pole was not a pretty sight.
It broke the prop smashed top and bottom bit of fuse and broke fire wall.
5 hours later with some appoxy 5 and thin ply wood my boomerang is ready to fly again.
My new nickname in my club is pole dancer

Advert

Hi Mitch, its all part of the hobby. I remember a member who, when learning to land, could never control his direction when on the ground. Found he was using ailerons to try and turn his model as no one had told him to use rudder. Cheers

Edited By fly boy3 on 26/03/2011 20:33:27

M1tch - Alan and Richard are absolutely right. You can have one more flight, or another flight, but you must never let the model hear you mention one last flight...

(I'm surprised that's not one of the questions they ask on your A test. )

But great to hear you've fixed it already. And if we weren't prepared to break 'em, we'd never fly 'em!

Totally Agree BEB about the pole.
Infact im sure it jumped out at me on my perfect landing.

Posted by M1TCH on 26/03/2011 21:42:38:

Infact im sure it jumped out at me on my perfect landing.

Ah, now that's another undeniable "law" of aeromodelling. It applies to trees too - they stand where they are for many decades but then jump out and grab your model before quickly jumping back to their original location!

Another variation on this is that the runway often moves. You can be lined up perfectly on it, yet at the last minute the runway leaps forwards and you land in the long grass on the far side of it.