Potentiometer issue DX6i

Håkan Kristiansson

Hello!
I have two DX6i. One of those recently got an issue with the rudder stick. After some research I'm 100% sure this is due to an issue with the potentiometer itself. This DX6i was not listed in the bulletin as one of the affected ones. The transmitter is 3 years old by now. I was thinking of replacing the potentiometer, all four of them actually but can't find any replacements. I have contacted Horizon through their web page but it seems like I just throw a web submission into a black hole. no response at all. I really don't want to send the transmitter as the cost for the transportation will probably cost half of a new one. (I'm living in Sweden) So the question is, has anyone been able to buy new potentiometers somewhere and can share where it was bought?
Thanks in advance!
/Håkan

Advert

Hello Håkan. I damaged a pot on my DX6i and asked Horizon for a replacement who stated " it would have to come in for inspection, repair and return" Cost about £8 to post. Report on return indicated "replace and re-calibrate" which suggests its not so straight forward although worth a try if you can get the pot.

I have found that the service provided by Horizon excellent as they appear not to charge for repairs so am a bit disappointed with the service you have had

I have also had no response from emailing Horizon Hobby UK through their website but have had fantastic service when calling them on the telephone to organise repairs. I have had about 5 seperate repairs now of various TX/RX radio gear and have never been charged once. They have returned items to me within the week at all times, I can't fault them really.

I would telephone them, post if via a secure courier (tracked & insured) and I'm confident that Horizon Hobby UK would give you excellent service.

Is there no Horizon Hobby for your country?

Edited By Allan Bowker on 13/05/2011 14:49:43

Unfortunately no Horizon Hobby over here. Horizon Hobby UK is the European contact.
FedEx one way is £79 that's why I rather go for replacing the pots by myself although they might do it for free. On top of that both my DX6i was bought second hand and I very much doubt I will get the hands of the original receipts to be able to have the local dealer send them for me. And of course the turn around time for that I don't even want to think about
/Håkan

Yes courier costs may be a problem, try www.parcel2go.co.uk they are very competitive and I have used them many times (they accept PayPal payments too).

Don't worry about receipts Horizon Hobby have never asked me for any proof of purchase. On one occasion I told them I had purchased an item second hand in a broken state and they still repaired it.

How about asking the service centre guys if they could post you a couple of pots?

They did this for me when a switch on a DX7 got snapped off.
They really are very good.

Edited By Allan Bowker on 13/05/2011 15:14:49

Tom. After some testing I think the issue is more of a faulty connection between potentiometer track and connecting pad. See photo http://c.wrzuta.pl/wi16748/b6ce45860028af8049365edc/0/poti_przed_naprawa As such I don't think Servisol cleaner will help. At least not in the long run. It could be worth a try though. But when I first noticed the issue I was in the air and the rudder got stuck more or less in the end position. Not a funny experience I don't want that to happen again. Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

Allan, I will check parcel2go when I get access. (It seems to be some issue with the site at the very moment)

/Håkan

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by H�kan Kristiansson on 14/05/2011 08:12:57:

As for the electrical characteristic and the physical measurements I have them. But I can't find that pot anywhere.

/Håkan

I don't think anyone could help you find them unless you share that info

Did you manage to resolve this Haykan?

In my experience Horizon Hobby UK cannot get hold of replacement
pots for the DX6i.
My DX6i was with them for a couple of months to replace the elevator
pot & they eventually sent a replacement TX after quite a bit of chasing.

Buying a second hand one for spares as stated may well be the quickest
way of getting yours working, unless HH send you a new Tx as well
of course.

Hakan.

I Don't have a tx the same as yours ,but if the the pot wires are disconnected and a resistance measurement is taken across the outer pins this will give the pot value ,the shaft diameter should also be checked ,the only other thing is it linear or logarithmic all the ones i have checked have been linear .
Then check out CPC or Radio Spares they should have what you want ,but you will have to cut the shaft down to suit.
All this assumes its the pot that's faulty ,i have never managed to wear a pot out even on my cheap sets.

I found another broken switch on a DX6i this weekend.

I phoned their repairs department today and they are sending me a switch from a scrapped DX6i, free of charge. This is the second time I have done this.

I can't see why they couldn't do this with the pots, I'm sure they would.

Sorry for not updating you for awhile. The story so far, Horizon UK refuses to send me any pots. on top of that there is no "Return Warranty" (i.e. it's not covered by whats out in the bulletin). They claim they need to do the repair and calibration themself.

"I have spoken to our service department and to make sure they are correct and working properly the radios would have to be returned here as any work on gimbals etc needs to be re-calibrated here before being safe to use."

I save you my thoughts I have about that for the time being.

I have tried to get the hands of replacement pot's by myself. But I start to believe they are OEM to Spectrum. My last finding was that they uses only 60 degrees of the throw
which makes them more or less unique.

Meanwhile I bought a new DX6i DSM-X. (I can't help loving those transmitters despite all)

I might just keep it for now and it might become handy as a donor transmitter keeping the other two in shape..

/Håkan

Sorry to read about your problem Håkan, that's a real shame.

I can see both sides here though, Horizon Hobby are being responsible by making sure that equipment is safe to use, however it's very frustrating for someone outside of the UK that needs to cover the postal costs, making a repair too costly.

If Spektrum want to sell more in Europe I think they should help on postage costs, perhaps if the owners of Horizon Hobby (US?) could offer a subsidised courier service to non-UK based customers in Europe.