For Starters downloads

Spence

Hi everyone, I just joined today and need some advice please.

I have been flying small electric helicopter for 18 months or so,. I had the oppertunity to buy an Apache 2 plane complete with an 0S 40 engine, transmitter,starter,spares and a whole load of stuff to boot, I bought for a good price £100 is that good??
The thing is i have started it and it sounds and pulls great but i have never flown a plane before...could i give it a go or should i join a club? I know the basic theory of flight etc and im wandering "how hard can it be"? The Apache has a six foot wingspan and is quite sturdy, does anyone have a manual i could down load to learn the basics? Anyone have any advice for me please...im itching to get it in the air, but I also want to land it!! Help!!!!!

Advert

Hi Steve, best heed Antony's advice.
When i started, my club was closed due to the foot and mouth crisis, but being impatient off i went up a local hillside, i came back with a bag of firewood. You could teach yourself, but check your local shop is well stocked with trainer models!!!
Also dont forget the all important safety aspects of model flying, whether it be electric or i.c. Join a club.....Happy flying.

Hi Steve started about 1 year ago joined a local club on advice of local supplier best thing i did instruction and advice,still managed to trash a couple of planes but my fault running before i could walk you no what its like when YOU HAVE CRACKED IT,but have slowed down now and am more content and using less black bin liners,Hope when you fly first time all goes well,dont know the plane so sorry cant help with info

STEVE,
YOU MUST JOIN A CLUB ,AND BE TAUGHT HOW TO FLY PROPERLY.ALSO ,A VERY IMPORTANT PART OF JOINING A CLUB IS JOINING THE BMFA FOR YOUR INSURANCE.WHAT YOU MUST REMEMBER IS A PLANE IN THE AIR IS A FAST OBJECT AND CAN CAUSE DAMAGE IN THE WRONG HANDS TO PROPERTY AND MORE IMPORTANTLY PEOPLE.
TO FIND A CLUB NEAR YOU ,LOOK ON THE BMFA WEBSITE,THEY WILL HAVE A LIST.

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY FLYING

VINCE

Thanks Brian, I will look at the above website this evening.

I have a small tear in one of the wings, what kind of tape should be used to repair it? Im guessing a low tack is not "man enough " for the job.??

What maintenance needs to be carried out on the motor?

What grade fuel should be used? I use a 16% mix nitro with a car I have got, could that be used?

Sorry for all the questions but i keep thinking of things to ask....would ask the missus but i know what answer i would get!!!

Hi all, I've been flying approx 6 months, self learnt. Started with one of JP's electrafuns and am now flying the parkzone mustang. Whilst these planes are a small introduction to get the feel of flying I'm now looking for something I can make a contribution to. Something I can at least put together and something a little more powerful. Electric if possible. I dont have a clue about what TX, motors, speed controller etc to buy or what plane. I've been to my local club, they were ok but not the most friendly bunch so I'm a bit on my own and just want some general advice. Im looking for a Katana type plane. Can anyone recommend a make, model and the bits to go with???
Sorry I know it's loads to ask but I was so pleased to find this site. Thanks for reading my blurb
Jez

Hey Clarky,
You cant expect just to turn up at the local flying club and find everyone running round eager to help an advise. They are there for there own flying times and already have things to sort on there own and friends models. As with any thing it takes time to get to know people and for the people at the club to get to know you.
My advice would be to carry on attending the club a while longer as you will make good friends and you will reap rewards with the things you learn.
Good luck with your flying!

After a 30 odd year break I am returning to the hobby and although previously an instructor, I am commencing as a newby and getting instruction. Strongly suggest you dont even think about flying without an instructor by your side. I actually taught a professional full size 747 pilot how to fly models as he crashed them every time out on his own! Enough said?

Although I agree that people should have experienced help while not only learning to fly but also with the many other aspects of aircraft modeling using the fact that you taught someone who pilots "full size 747s" is meaningless as there as far removed as chalk and cheese!
Anyway RC planes dont have autopilot!

That is exactly the point I was making Kamakazikev, they are totally different. My thread by the way was intended for Steve. No matter how well versed in the theory of flight and aeronautics, it will be of little consequence in actually safely controlling a model.Orientation for a full size pilot is always the same, whereas with a model it changes on whether it's flying away or toward you or from left to right or right to left. Also its vitually totaly visual. Eye and transmitter hand co-ordination has to be developed until it is done without thinking, much the same as a musician reads the notes on a score and instinctively plays them.

to james C and anyone interested. I started flying last august and on october 14th i got my A cert. my setup was a seagull boomerang trainer,irvine 46 engine with apc 11x7 prop,futaba 6exa radio gear. I now fly a black horse super air with an irvine 53 engine. next project this year is GPs super stearman biplane with a 120 4 stroke,Hope this is helpfull.

• 6 years later...