Lead weight

Dear All,
I have been trying to source of all things a block of lead to go on my Cub as ballast. At present I have many of those stick on weights on the firewall but could do away with many of them just by moving the weights onto the engine mounts. (Not too much mind). I am not against knocking up a mould and doing a little smelting but I draw the line at nicking the raw material from the local church roof.
Any ideas????
Funny thing is those JP weights are magnetic...

Advert

Lead is very expensive at the moment. The other day I took out some old lead water pipes out of my basement. One half full rubble sack got me £90 down the scrapyard. I wish though I'd saved some for melting down into ingots for plane balancing! Oh well! Roof flashing it is once more then.
BTW found some really nice stuff at the DIY shop. Self-adhesive leaded window flashing. 1cm wide, self adhesive, perfect for sticking onto the leading edge of my Zagi when it needed some balancing. And being lead it bent nicely to follow the T/R shape.

Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 17/05/2011 23:11:55:
I WAS GOING TO SUGGEST FISHING WEIGHTS...I STILL HAVE LOADS OF THEM AND USUALLY JUST WHACK 'EM WITH A LUMP HAMMER TO FLATTEN THEM OUT AND FORM THE SHAPE I NEED.

Sorry for caps lock...
What do you think about when flattening the lead? Is that the reason for the caps?

Plummet

Take off the stick on weights and melt them down, or do as I do and visit your local tyre fitting company, give the guys a couple of pound and walk away with a handful of weights.
I do not know if it is all tyre companies or just my local one but thy have changed from lead to a zinc based type which are slightly lighter so you need more.

Phil

Hey that's not a bad idea. Go to the local car scrap yard with a chisel and take off the weights. Can't imagine they'd want much for them (they could still sell the wheels as long as you're careful).

Alternatively an option is to use lead shot (like item 150488248066 on ebay £7.25/kg) link! and either melt it down into ingots or (if you're putting it in a compartment) put the lead shot in place then flood it with epoxy to hold it all together and to the wood in the compartment. It certainly works out cheaper than the Deluxe Materials liquid gravity (£8.11 for 240g from Al's hobbies). The only advantage of the liquid gravity is the bead size is much smaller so you get fewer gaps between the shots (ie less glue needed and denser).

Tyre balancing weights aren't lead any more, probably due to cost. I begged some from a local tyre fitters and tried to melt them with a blowtorch to make flat weights for a plane, no luck! Fishing weights are a good idea, last summer I picked up a few which I just found along a canal path. I'm not certain they are lead either but should be a able to be whacked flat with a lump hammer. I think lead has been banned (for environmental reasons) in shotgun cartridges and possibly fishing weights. The stuff is toxic after all.

Of course you can always use steel for weights! Just a bit bulkier for the same weight but much easier / safer to work with, so you can tap threads in to retain etc. Brass too but too expensive to use.  If you must have lead then I think Southern Modelcraft sell moulded chunks at shows.
Best of all remove something at the tail end or move the engine or battery forward instead of using weight.

Edited By kc on 18/05/2011 12:15:40

Cheers chaps, all good stuff. The fishing weights seem the best option, I think my dad may have a few laying about. As for melting down the stick on type, as I said they seem to be magnetic and may be an out steel skin with a small amount of lead.