Just starting out

flyeruk

Pretty good BEB
Obviously, alot depends on waht the pilot wants from his model, but with something like an aero machine such as the Pulse, maybe a tad more power wouldnt go amiss, personally I would be aiming at closer to the 1kWatt mark. Once we get up to this territory, 6s is the minimum, and maybe even 8s would be better to keep the current manageable.
Having said that, my PC9 runs just over 2kWatt and that only on a 6s
Most ESC are rated for up to 6S lipo, anything more and they tend to be classed as HV ( High Voltage ) and are quite a lot more pricey.
The other thing to remember is to choose the motor carefully - higher voltage needs lower Kv winds.
Of course, to get the best sysytem you need to consider the whole package - IE:
AUW, Prop, pitch speeds, battery capacity for duration etc etc

Thanks for that,yes the pulse comes ready to fly minus the receiver and batteries.I have a spare AR 6200 receiver so dont need to get another receiver.Hobbyking have these
Turnigy

capacity (mah) 4000
config 6
discharge 40
weight (g) 694
length 149 mm
height 50 mm
width 43 mm

for around £44.00

for around £44.00 each.

I confess i know little about electrics as well.

Still not made a decision on buying it yet until im 100% sure that im buying the right model

Quick update. My v trainer is now built and i flew it for the first time today. First launch,no power,glided then nose dived knocking the wings off. No damage. Second flight, power on, climbed to about 75 feet,started a turn to the left using ailerons,straightened up the proceeded to fly four cicuits around the field with no problems. Four more flights,managed a couple of figure eights,couple of rough landings but overall,fantastic. Really enjoyed the feeling of flying around.
As to the v trainer, i think it is a really strong trainer,took a couple of hard knocks and just shrugged them off.
Hope to do a lot more during the week,i can say im already really addicted.

I have now been to the field twice more. I now managing nice circuits,figure eights and today,threw in two loops. The landings are coming on very well,getting the feel of the v trainer now.I have been fairly disciplined (apart from the loops) launching into wind,doing a couple of circuits then lining up for the landings.
Hoping to have a couple of flights on a friends trainer,with buddy box,when the weather improves.
Will keep you posted as to my progress.

Sounds like you're having a great time and making really good progress

The key thing to concentrate on at the moment is to be truely controlling the model. There is a big difference between "interfering with where it wants to go from time to time" and actually being fully in control all the time and being confident that you can put the model in any particular bit of sky you want to.

So practice deliberately changing the size of the circuit, do a small circuit then a large one. Do a rectangular one with four corner turns, do a "racecourse" one with just two big 180 degree turns at each end. Change the height of the circuit, do one high, then one medium altitude then low-ish (don't push that too hard yet!). Reverse the direction of the circuit - do one clockwise then "u" turn an do one anti-clockwise.

You get the idea - its all about building up your control of the model. A lot of beginners tend to let the model do more or less what it wants on the long legs of the circuit and then just input commands for the turns. This is an approach to flying to be spurned! The classic situation is: instructor says, "You're too far left - bring it over". Pupil responses, "I can'y help it, it keeps going left" The point of course is its our job as pilot to stop it doing that! Not to just accept it, but correct it. We need to be constantly reviewing the model's position, height and course and acting accordingly.

You should aim to always feel that the model is in the place, at the height and flying in the direction you intend it to be. Sometimes that's not as easy as it sounds!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 11/06/2011 18:08:59

Thank you for the great advice,i will be putting all that into practice over the next few weks.
I think i have just bought myself a bargain today A chap who works in the next unit to me has just given up flying. I have purchasd two Thunder tiger 40 trainers,two hitec tramsmitters,a electric starter,glow sticks,props and lots of other bits and bobs for the sum of £50.00.
One of the planes has been flown quite a few times and has a few marks on it but the other one has only had 1 flight.Whatsyour opinion on these planes?The chap says they have .25 os engines in them. Does that sound the right motors for them?
Anyway,i feel i have a bargain.

I have just obtained a tt 42 for the trainer. Any suggestions on which battery pack to use with these planes? There are a couple of packs with the planes but would feel safer with new packs.

Only really got a chance to have a look at the trainers today. The chap i bought them from said that they were both TT 40 trainers. A closer look today reveals that one is a TT 40 and the other one is a irvine 40 trainer. Next,he told me they had .25 engines in them. So i got myself a TT 42. Again on having a look at the two planes,they both are fitted with OS40 LA motors.
Im not suprised that he didnt get on with flying and gave up.Anyway,they are both looking good and hoping to fly them within the next couple of weeks.

The LA's will be fine in there. They are not one of OS's best engines in my opinion but perfectly adequete for all that (that will bring a few comments in ). You can always keep the TTGP42 for something else.

You're right - your friend doesn't seem like somone naturally orientated to our hobby does he!

BEB

I have been reading about the pros and cons of tricycle vs tail dragger. As i have two trainers,im considering converting one to a tail dragger. How would i go about doing this and would it be a good idea?
I also have a confession, I couldnt help myself and have bought myself a Flair Hannibal.I havent bought it with the intention of flying it yet,but its for after i have mastered the trainer.
Its 91" wingspan fitted with a supre tiger 2000. I know i am jumping the gun but just love it. I have been told it is a very easy plane to fly and if i can fly the trainer,i should have no problem flying the Hannibal.

Just come back from the field.saturday morning. I went to Little Haldon near Teignmouth. Very windy,but flew 3 2200 lipo packs. Im consistently doing doing nice circuits.figure eights at low and higher altitudes and landing 99% of the time in the spot i want to. I have to say,and didnt think i would ever say this,but i am enjoying flying planes more than i ever did with the helis. So much more relaxing,even have time to have a scratch if i need one.
Ihave not yet flown when its not windy so hoping this will help when i get some calm days.
I am going to praise the V Wing Trainer from Flyingwings. It is so nice to fly,very stable and handles wind really well. The wind must have been gusting to at least 15mph today,very exposed site,but the v trainer took it in its stride. I would recommend this plane to anybody thinking of starting this hobby.
Im already thinking of flying one of my nitro trainers soon. Do you think i am nearly ready to fly them yet?

Edited By flyeruk on 25/06/2011 11:46:14

Thanks for the reply. I am going to get the Thunder Tiger trainer ready to fly. Could anybody give me some idea of transmitter settings,ie,expo,dual rates etc?Also, does anybody have any opinions on whether i should convert the trainer to a tail dragger? The Flair Hannibal i have got is a trail dragger and wondered if converting the trainer would help me.

I would leave the TT as a trike - its more stable that way - particularly on take off, you have enough new things to worry about! If, once you hace really got used to it, you fancy changing it then OK - but fly it initially at least as a trike.

To be honest the controls on the TT are pretty gentle so I wouldn't worry too much about expo and dual rates at first. Just use the throws recommended in the manual. Again once you really get used to it you might want to up the throws slightly and then add a little expo just to smooth out your flying. But at first its best not to - its better to learn to fly smooth straight and level without expo at first in my opinion!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 27/06/2011 23:53:03

Went to the field again at the weekend,all going really well with the V Trainer. On saturday,i just concentrated in launching,flying a couple of circuits,one high and one low then landing.
Now im going to ask a silly question. Having only flown helis,when fueling up,with the heli i can see how much fuel is in the tank. How do i know how much fuel is in the plane,without removing the wings every time? I know its not a big hassle removing the wings from the trainers but how do i know for example,on my Hannibal that the tank is full?I have no intention on flying the Hannibal until i have had plenty of practice on my nitro tainers but just curious.

You have a good pair of trainers in the TT40 and Irvine Tutor. The Irvine will handle quite a blow once you've gained a bit of experience.

Thankyou Ben and David. One other question if i may,when it comes to the Hannibal,how do i choke the engine as it is enclosed within the cowl?

If you do not have access to the carburettor on your Super Tigre and if it is fitted with the standard silencer, having filled the fuel tank you open the throttle fully, put your finger over the exhaust outlet and either turn your propeller over by hand or spin the engine with your starter. This should draw fuel up into the engine. Then you clip your glow-stick or lead to the plug and the engine should start.

Don't overdo this or you might get a hydraulic lock which could damage the engine.

• 2 weeks later...
Whats with all this windy weather? Still waiting to fly the TT. Looks like i will be going it alone. Now, my V Trainer has no dihedral at all. Completely flat. I feel i have gone a long way since starting flying. I have no problems with the fact that the wings are flat.
Can anybody tell me how different the TT will be to fly? I know that i will have to take off from the ground, but apart from that,what can i expect in terms of speed,stability etc.I fly my V Trainer on 2200 3 cells and it does cover a lot of sky quickly on full throttle.
I do realise that landing is probably going to be my biggest challenge but i feel fairly confident to give it a go.

Just thought i would add, the chap that i purchased the two trainers from for £50.00,came to my work today,and had in his hand a OS max 61FX. He asked me if it was any good to me,no charge,as he had no use for it. What would be a good plane for me to put it in,first low wing trainer?

The TT trainer will feel very stable. You should have no big problems in actually flying it. Watch the wind, its a larger model and will go like the clappers over the ground downwind! If you feel its getting a bit much for you just turn it into wind and set the throttle at about 2/3 and it will almost look after itself!

Where you will feel the difference is in what's called the "energy management" of the model. The TT trainer is quite a lot heavier, so when its decending it will build up a lot of speed and it wont "float" like you are used to. You will need to start your landing approach from further away and plan it a lot more carefully - you can't just dump this one in the long grass!

Start the approach flying downwind at about 150 feet. Throttle back to about half or a little below. Let the model "sit" very slightly nose down. You want to let it loose height very gradually. Fly about 100m past you, turn cross wind, throttle back a bit more. Turn towards you (not literally right at you - aim for 20m or so in front of you!) throttle right back to idle. Keep the nose slightly down. Now for the tricky bit. The elevator is not there to control your hieght! Its the "brakes". Holding the nose up will slow the model, letting the nose down will speed it up. Without going below the stall speed you want to let the model decend without gaining speed. Its all a matter of practice and judgement. If it looks like you are going to be short - give it a blip of throttle. If you are going to be long - well there are solutions to that but they are bit advanced at this stage - so my suggestion would be open up and go round again and have another go. Keep it coming in straight - remember you have to steer all the way down to the ground - don't do what a lot of learners do and sort of give up steering the model once it approaches the ground! About 3 feet off the deck hold the nose more or less horizontal, 2 feet off start to pick the nose up in a "flair" - the idea its to slow the model right down so that it effectly stalls in from about 6 inches above the ground. Once the mains touch take out the up-elevator to let the nose wheel down. Piece of cake!

BEB

Thank you very much for that very detailed reply.Im just waiting for some decent weather.
I have been doing a lot of landing approaches on the sim. I know its not the same as real flight but im sure it helps. Fingers crossed.