Just starting out

flyeruk

It appears that you are using 2 ozs of fuel per five minutes of flight. A 6 oz tank should therefore be ample for your type of flying.

An 11x5 prop will make take-offs shorter ands as the model will be 1/4lb lighter it should be more pleasant to fly.

Or you could just half fill the fuel tank.......

The idea behind the prop change is to make the model fly slower for a given engine speed.....the pitch of a prop can be defined as the distance it wants to "screw" itself forward in inches per revolution.....a 6" pitch prop wants to move forward by 6 inches for every turn it makes. A 5" prop will only move forwards by 5 inches per turn (these are theroretical figures). Hence a 6" prop at 10,000 rpm will travel further than a 5" prop rotating at the same rpm....ergo it will travel faster.

So why not just fit a 10x5.....ah....by doing this you have effectively reduced the load on the engine so it will turn faster....say 12,000 rpm & hence move at the same speed.

The 11x5 will keep the load (& hence revs) about the same hence you get the benefit of a slower flying model for the same revs.

Hope this helps.....

(NB! some factors have been ignored in the interests of simplicity....)

Steve
Interesting remark of yours about only half filling the tank .Obvious really but like so many "obvious" things -not so obvious .Makes a bit of a mockery of an accurate C of G position with an empty tank doesn't it ? Especially if you have a permanent extra 4 oz or so up front you never use . I for one never bother much about a deadstick landing and thinking about it ,I find myself thinking to myself throughout the latter part of a flight "Do I have enough height to land safely if it conks out now ?" As you know with SLEC tanks you can fit a short length of fuel tubing from top to bottom to see how much fuel you have but cannot always be installed depending on the model.. Now telemetry -that's another story and am impressed by the new Hi Tec system featured in the latest mag.Must write to Santa !

It was slightly tongue in cheek Myron but would certainly have the desired effect....there isn't much point carting a load of dead weight fuel around after all.....but that said 4oz extra fuel won't have a noticeable effect on how the model flies.

Obviously we balance with an empty tank as this is then the worst case scenario.....the cog will never be further back than that....which makes it safe....

The Sopwith Camel's CoG used to move back significantly as the fuel ran low......it could be quite difficult to land with a near empty tank....a really twitchy little aeroplane apparently....

• 3 weeks later...
I have been flying the Wot,as often as i can,using the same prop.The problem was just too high a tick over.I am now consistently flying circuits and figure eights,in both directions and at different heights. I am also doing a few loops and stall turn turns. Not yet tried any rolls.Take offs are nice and smooth and my landings are getting better all the time.Although i dont belong to a club,i intend to do my A cert wiithin the next few months,just for my own satisfaction.
I have been using my new DX7s. I feel very comfortable with this new transmitter,easy to navigate the menus and have had no issues at all so far.It feels very natural to use,in fact,i dont even think about it when flying.Really pleased with it.
I have also been rebuilding my Pulse XT 40.This is the first repair i have undertaken and so far its looking ok.I fitted the wings today,just to see if everything lines up and it all looks spot on.I still have to strengthen all the joints with epoxy and then i will be looking at covering it. Not really sure what to do about this as i dont think i have the experience to do the original scheme.Maybe just do it white with a couple of red markings here and there?

I have also been working on the Hannibal,fitted new servos and waiting for some big brute fuel to arrive at my lms.i will be maidening it myself,as i have with all my planes,but with a fellow flyer standing by. I will also be having it on video,as a friend of mine has offered to do it for me.I wont be attempting the maiden until the weather improves and the wind is appropriate, when ever that might be.
Can i also say,a very happy new year to everyone and wish you all well in the year to come.

Happy New Year to you too flyeruk and well done with the progress so far.

The XT 40 is looking good. If it were me I'd probably cover the fus in white profilm as you say, then cut out some nice shapes from red protrim and add over the top of the white.

For covering I'd probably do the bottom first, then the two flat sides. Then the tops, front and rear, last.

Thanks Chris,i think that is what i will do regarding covering.I managed to get up the field nice and early today.Temp was only just over freezing. Got 3 flights in with the Wot.My fingers were numb. Last flight,i came in a bit hard and snapped the undercarriage bolts. I would have replaced them at the field,but it was too cold.This afternoon,i am going to do some more work on the Pulse.

• 3 weeks later...
I have done some more work on the Pulse today. I had to use a domestic iron but its not turned out to bad. Couple of wrinkles here and there but im happy with it. I just need to install the engine,fit a receiver and set her up on my transmitter. Hopefully,i have a little more flying experence so wont put her in the ground again.

Looks good Flyer!

We often experience cold weather with light winds during the autumn and winter. Apart from the temperature, these are ideal flying conditions. I take a pair of gloves to the flying field and only take them off when flying.

It works for me!

• 3 weeks later...
The Pulse is finally finished. I have had to add a few grams of weight to the nose,i assume thats because i have strengthened the frame around the repair. I have put the Evolution 46 back in and had it running yesterday. Hopefully the weather will be ok at the weekend  . I have put in 30% expo on the ailerons and elevator.
Got to say,im feeling a bit nervous about the first flight after the crash but im going to go for it, if all is well saturday morning. I wil post some pics of her after i have flown her.

Edited By flyeruk on 06/02/2012 22:22:46

Edited By flyeruk on 06/02/2012 22:23:17

• 3 months later...

I thought it was about time for me to add to this thread. since rebuilding the Pulse xt40,i have been flying nearly every weekend since. Im feeling very comfortable now with the pulse,really enjoy flying it.Im still practicing my circuits,figure of eights and landings. Im also doing a few stall turns,rolls and loops. I have just ,this week,had a chat about doing my A test within the next month or two.

Im also flying the Wot 4 and use this plane to try out new things before flying the Pulse.I have also flown my Flair Hannibal and have to say,it is a really lovely plane to fly,very stable and relaxed.

Ihave just purchsed another plane, a Pulse xt60 with a Saito FA100. I bought another pulse as i really enjoy flying my xt40,and have watched a XT60 with a Saito and just love the sound of that enginesmiley

I will most likely be asking for some advice regarding the Saito,as its my first 4 stroke.

I will update this thread when i eventually take my A .