Just starting out

flyeruk

The Hannibal has a 25cc super tigre s2000 in it. I have not yet sorted the servos out as it has some old digifleet servos in it at the moment. They were only put in so i could check all the linkages/control surfaces were working correctly. It is a fantastic looking aeroplane (if you like that sort of thing).It has only been flown twice by its previous owner/builder.He sold it as he had a large amount of other planes, and felt it would be a shame if it was just left in his garage looking pretty. It also has a bomb bay built into it. Really looking forward to the day she flys.

Advert

A really good motor as well, You will find no end of people willing to maiden it for you. May I suggest that you run a few more tankfulls through, before taking to the air. This is only my opinion, as others prefer to run the the engine in, in the air. Also you may have to do a little looking around to get the CoG postion correct before commiting to the air. Cheers FB3

Edited By fly boy3 on 21/10/2011 15:17:46

Thanks FB3, i will run some tanks through it before she maidens. I managed to get the Building instructions from Flair.The recommended CoG,as stated in the instructions says, The completed model should balance on the main spar, thats all it says. The build manual only runs to 2 A4 sheets of text and 3 diagrams. Not what you would call comprehensive.I do have the original full size plans though. It also states to set full throws as follows:
Rudder 50mm each way
Elevator 25mm up and down
Aileron 20mm up and down

Would you think these settings would be okay for its maiden?

I have got my hands on a Wot 4 artf. I am thinking of putting in some JR537 servos and a OS la 40 that i have sitting around doing nothing at the moment.Would these servos and engine be ok in this plane? I thought i would try and get to grips with the Wot before i get my pulse back in the air.

Managed to get three flights in with the Tutor this morning. Very windy. I have managed to put the servos in my WOT 4 today,just need to put the wing servos in now. I have put the OS 40la in,hoping this will at least get me flying.

Hi flieruk, Yep those settings should be fine for the Hanibal. You could always put another lot of settings on the rate switch. Also the 40 La will ok for your wot 4, but as soon as you will get used to it you will want to throw it across the sky, and this may require a slightly larger motor. LoL The Wot 4 is a classic !  ps just looked up the spec. for this model,  it is designed for a 40/53 two stroke.  So there you go pal good luck.

Edited By fly boy3 on 29/10/2011 21:57:06

Finished the Wot today. Really looking forward to giving this one a go. One question,after flying the pulse,i know i only had a few flights before she went in,how different will the Wot be in flying
characteristics to the Pulse. I realise one is low wing and the other is high,but was just wondering what to expect.

Hi Flieruk, I am not familiar with the Pulse, but I assume from your post it is a low winger. If you can fly a lowinger then you should have no problems with the Wot 4.. High wingers are naturally more stable than low wingers, so I think you will be fine. Is it possible to have an experianced flier to maiden it for you, and trim it ? If so you may have trouble getting the model back as he will be having so much fun with it. LoL. As I said the Wot4 is a Chriss Foss classic. You will love it. Cheers

Hi fb3,i might be able to get somebody to maiden it,but,due to the times i have available to fly,mainly spur of the moment,its not often possable. I maidened the Pulse myself and managed to trim her on my own,so,that one is in the lap of the gods.I will just have to take it easy and hope all goes well.

Hi flyeruk.
I maidened all my stuff myself. I cannot stand the idea that somebody will kill one of my nice models
Actually I let frieds fly them - but only after I had a bit of experience and know the plane is o.k. (and of course only if I know how the guy flies)
So if all checks done as said by FB3 give it a go! Don't forget to range check before you fly!!!
Good luck VA

You will be fine Flyeruk......a Wot 4 will be a perfect model for your first maiden. Range check it, make sure the CoG is correct, make sure all the control surfaces are at neutral & you have the correct amount of movement set. Ensure your engine is reliable & won't die on you as you take off (EFATO can really spoil your day...).

Place your model at the very beginning of the runway ("There is nothing more useless than runway behind you" as my flying instructor used to say) directly into the wind.

Take a deep breath......

Steadily open the throttle & be ready to catch any swing with rudder & a Wot 4 will pretty much fly itself off the runway....it may need a little help with a gentle squeeze of up elevator.....

Get the model up to height & cut the power back to cruise (probably about 2/3rds to 3/4 of max with an OS40LA in it...) & then trim for straight & level.....job done!!

I can practically guarantee that you will wonder what all the fuss was about before the end of your first circuit.....

I agree with everything Steve has just said, the only thing I'd add is that I now input 30% exponential to the ailerons and elevator.

Never used to, must be getting old!

I'm not nervous about maidening any conventional high or shoulder wing model these days.

When I've finally built that 1/6th scale BE2e however,that may be a different matter!

A big for exponential from me too.....

Generally I set my models with as much control surface movement as I can get & then calm them down with about 30% expo.....its like having dual rates but without having to flick a switch.....as sensitive (or not) as you like around the mid position with maximum "Wang" when the sticks are in the corners....

Thanks very much for your replies. I hope to maiden the Wot as soon as i get the chance,weather permitting. I would also just like to say,thank you to everyone who has given me the benefit of their experience and the encouragement since i started this thread. I have to say that this is a very helpful and friendly forum and has helped me a lot in my pursuit to learn to fly alone.

• 3 weeks later...
Just returned from the field. Today i maidened my Wot. I was going to fly the Tutor first,but when i got there,i thought,what the hell,just try the Wot. Take off was nice and smooth,took her up to around 100ft then did my first turn. What a lovely plane. Brought her round into wind,only needed a couple of clicks of up elevator and she was flying nice and straight. I just took it easy with a few circuits and figure of eights the came in to land. I did overshoot the runway a bit,but just went into the gorse a little. Second flight,again nice circuits and figure eights,this time did a few landing approaches and then landed nice and smoothly. I had another two ten minute flights,first landing okay but next one,landed a bit too far over on the landing strip and again caught the gorse.No damage.
I then decided that was enough as there was a lot of low cloud and it was a bit misty.This plane,if im honest,felt easier to fly than the Tutor. I dont think it would have been easier if i hadnt had the experience of the Tutor or the TT but it just felt so positive in the air.
Hopefully i can get up again tomorrow if the weather is ok.A big thumbs up to the Wot. I think the Tutor will now be taking a back seat for now. Just love this plane.

You're learning Flyer, well done!

Yes the WOT 4 is an excellent model in any size, it goes where you put it. In my view everybody should have a WOT 4 and a vintage model in their collection whatever else they fly!

The next step is the Hannibal. You'll love that, bigger models being easy to fly. You'll have no problems with it.

Thank you David. I flew again today.Just a couple of flights as i was taking my Dear lady out to lunch. Again,two good flights and decent landings, Whilst i was at the field,i chatted with a club instructor and asked him about the A test. He is going to put me in touch with an examiner in my area,when i feel ready, i think i am going to do the test. It will give me something to aim for.He said i was doing pretty much what was required to do the test already,so over the next few months i am going to concentrate on what is required to do it.Hopefully the Hannibal maiden wont be too far away.

Posted by Steve Hargreaves on 31/10/2011 10:31:07:

I can practically guarantee that you will wonder what all the fuss was about before the end of your first circuit.....

I hate to say I told you so but I did tell you so!!!!

Well done FlyerUk & an extra well done for having the confidence to try!!! The Wot 4 is a great model.....really learn to fly it...put it where you want, when you want....get the stick in the corners & see what happens & just generally build your confidence.....then fit a bigger engine & do it all again......

• 3 weeks later...
I was at the field at 9 this morning,bit cold but very light winds.Managed five flights with the Wot.Really love this plane.Decided to try a stall turn,full throttle,up elevator,eased off the throttle,stick to bottom left,over she went,bit of throttle,levelled out,fantastic,id done it.Continued to do them to the left and right. One thing i do find a problem is slowing down enough on landing. One of the other flyers suggested changing the prop from the 10/6 to a 11/5 saying it will slow up more on landing. I will give this a try,hopefully next week,weather permitting.
Also,when i got home,i started to repair my Pulse xt40. I have managed to get the fuse back together,bit like a jigsaw puzzle but looking good. Hopefully i will get it back in the air in the new year.

The lower pitch may help a little bit but I doubt you'd notice much difference.....is your tickover speed too high perhaps.....other than that just give the model a bit more time to slow down & get the nose up a tad.....a Wot 4 will fly amazingly slowly....into a headwind it will practically hover......

Try it at height first & get a feel for just how slow it will fly & then try the landing again....be cautious on the "downwind" turn onto base leg however....the graveyard of many a model.......the models ground speed can look OK but its airspeed may be dangerously low & the extra lift you ask of the wing as you turn may be too much & the plane will fall out of the sky.....so make a good positive turn far enough out to give the model time to slow down for landing.

All that said through landing a Wotty is pretty easy so if it seems to be going too fast it might be your tickover is simply too high as mentioned originally.....

I'd like to add to Steve's excellent advice that if you find the nose drops when you get down to landing speed then there is another possibility.

It could be nose heavy, a common problem when playing it safe and overdoing it - check the CG with the fuel tank empty. Better a little nose down than a little tail down it's true but actually nose heavy leads to longer take off runs and faster approaches. (This time of year, when strips tend to get wet and muddy it can be quite difficult get a nose heavy aeroplane to "unstick". Often the remedy is to put larger wheels on and that certainly can help if that really is the problem but just as often it's being nose heavy)

I think it may be as you suggest,tickover a little high.I will have a look as soon as i get a chance.As to it being nose heavy,i have got an eleven ounce tank in it and only fly fow arond ten minutes per flight. The tank is still about 2/3rds full when i land.Could this be making a difference?Also,what difference,if any, will changing the prop from a 10x6 to a 11/5 make?