Just starting out

flyeruk

Advert

I have decided to put the evolution .46 in the Tutor. The patch i fly from is a bit rough so as you say,will give me a bit more power on the ground and in the air.The tank that is with the Tutor is only an 8 oz,and was wondering how long i might get in the air with the Evo.I have tried to fit a larger tank but the gap where the tank goes isnt very big. I dont want to cut the ply in the front to fit a larger tank as worried this will weaken the front end.Also,the engine mount is the type which clamps the engine in place. It does seem very secure and it is easy for me to install the bigger engine. Any thoughts on these type of mounts?
I dont have time tonight to check the CoG but will be spending the day tomorrow sorting it all out.

I have put the evo in the tutor today. I also managed to get a 12oz tank in as well. I had to enlarge the hole in the firewall slightly so the front of the tank fitted snugly. The battery is sitting just behind the tank. I popped the wing on to see what the CoG was like and it now balances slightly nose heavy,so that has sorted that problem nicely. Im hoping the tutor is a bit more lively than the TT which has a OS 40 LA in it.Couple of more jobs to do before i fly it including recovering part of the wing and general tidying up.

Posted by flyeruk on 08/10/2011 18:20:46:
I have put the evo in the tutor today. I also managed to get a 12oz tank in as well. I had to enlarge the hole in the firewall slightly so the front of the tank fitted snugly. The battery is sitting just behind the tank. I popped the wing on to see what the CoG was like and it now balances slightly nose heavy,so that has sorted that problem nicely. Im hoping the tutor is a bit more lively than the TT which has a OS 40 LA in it.Couple of more jobs to do before i fly it including recovering part of the wing and general tidying up.
You did do the balance check with an empty tank I hope?

That 12 oz tank should keep you flying all day .

Yes,i balanced it empty.The Evolution is over 4 ounces heavier than the OS40 LA so that took care of some of the weight,plus the engine sits a little further forward than the LA.

Sorry,i was wrong,it is an 11 oz tank LOL. Seriously,how long do you think it will fly with this tank?

Edited By flyeruk on 08/10/2011 21:40:40

I have done a bit more work on the Tutor today. The reason i have had to do so much to it was the chap i purchased the two trainers from had assembled them mainly with hot glue. Now i know hot glue is very useful for lots of jobs but assembling the tail and using hot glue over the covering does not inspire confidence in me. Also,the tutor has a bit of hanger and other rashes,including some holes in the covering,so i just wanted to get it looking as it should before i fly it.
One other question,apart from the flying times i might expect with the 11 oz tank,the Evolution is fitted with a 11x6 prop. This was the prop i had on it when it was fitted in the pulse. Would this still be a suitable prop in the Tutor?

I have just returned from the patch having flown the Tutor four the first time. The first flight,take off nice and straight,no problems with the tail skid on the ground,made my first turn around 100 ft and flew a couple of nice circuits. I felt that the plane was a bit hard to see,then realised i had the wrong glasses on.Decided to land and change them. Nice easy landing,really pleased with myself.During the flight,i only needed a bit of up trim and she was flying lovely. I have to say,the Tutor, with the Evolution .46 in is a lot more lively that the TT. I also found her to be a lot more responsive as well. The second flight,i noticed the engine surging a bit so flew for about ten minutes and brought her into land. Again,nice smooth landing.I had a look at the fuel lines but could not see any reason for the surging, so took of for the third flight. Started my first turn,then the engine speeded up and cut out,kept my cool and turned into wind and landed nice and gently in the surrounding gorse.My first proper dead stick.I had a look at the fuel lines again and could see some bubbles in the line coming from the tank and also going to the carb. When i turned the prop round to try and see what was happening in the line,finger over carb,i could see bubbles all along the lines. I havent yet had a chance to investigate the cause,but am i right in suspecting an air leak in the system?
I put the tutor back in the car and had a couple of flights with my trusty V Trainer to finish the day off.

It was all the training you did that helped to get your model home with no problems, you also did the right and proper thing to stop flying if you think you have any problem at all. Yep, you should not have bubbles in the plumbing, take your time to check it all out. If in doubt change the pipework, and do not forget the pipe in the the tank. Cheers

Thanks for the replies,im going to look at it tonight.Hopefully,if i can sort it,i will be out again in the morning.

Just seen this about tank size.
I had an eleven ounce SLEC tank in a four channel trainer with an OS 40 two stroke and regularly flew for at least twenty five minutes and still had fuel left on landing. Very rarely did I run the tank dry.unless I wanted to on the last flight of the day.

Admittedly most of the time the throttle was only about half open.

Malcolm

I have taken the tank out tonight,i think there was a bad seal where the bung expands into the tank. Just to be sure,i have put a Thunder Tiger trainer tank in,its a bit smaller,8 ounces.I also changed all the fuel lines just to be sure. I have not had the chance to start it up again,but i put my finger over the carb,opened the throttle and drew some fuel through the lines,no bubbles.Hopefully it should be okay in the morning. Hoping to be at the patch as early as possable.Must have a bit of a lay in though,as its sunday,the only day i dont HAVE to get up.`

One of the classic "GOTCHAS" is a small hole or split in the fuel feed pipe inside the tank where it attaches to the brass tube that runs through the sealing bung......because this is below the fuel level when the tank is full the engine starts & runs perfectly on the ground but after a few minutes running the fuel level drops, exposes the hole & the engine starts drawing in air........

I have seen strong men weep on discovering that one.....usually after 57 deadsticks in a row.....

Went to the patch on Sunday. I went with a couple of flying friends,one who flys helis .the other one helis and planes. I started up the Tutor with no problems and had a good ten minute flight.Second flight,took off,climbed nice and straight,then,engine cut .Again,kept my cool and managed to turn her into wind and land on the strip. I got a ,very good landing,well done,from Rob,one of the chaps i was flying with.I let Rob have a look at the engine and he tried tune it
a bit for me. We held the Tutor vertical at full throttle for a few seconds and all seemed well. Second flight,took off,started to climb,engine cut again. This time,i was a bit slow in responding to the dead stick,and landed,slightly nose in,amongst the gorse at the side of the strIp. Only damage was a broken prop and slight crack in the fuse,above the tank area.I taped up the fuse,and put on a new prop. Again,Rob had a tinker with the engine,and it was time for another attempt. Nice straight take off and had another good ten minutes flight. Rob still thought the engine was not quite right,so had another go at tuning. Next flight,she seemed to be running a lot smoother,so again,had a good flight.I decided to not fly her any more that day and had a couple of flights with the trusty V Trainer.
I have not been able to fix the fuse yet as i have developed a tooth abscess and in agony with it. Went to the dentist this morning and she has put me on antibiotics and says a root canal treatment will have to be done.Really looking forward to that one!!!

I also thought i would add a picture of my Flair Hannibal. Im not going to attempt to fly it until i have a lot more practice under my belt. I have also got somebody to fly it first for me.

Tooth abcess....ouch!! Painful.....maybe you are gritting your teeth a bit too much whilst flying.......

Have you checked the tank plumbing? It really sounds like an air leak to me.....an unreliable engine can really spoil your day.....

Wick a bit of cyano into the crack & cover the split with some film or tape & it will be fine....What caused the crack? Did that big tank move?? Remember we subject our models to a fair bit of "G" & anything heavy should be well strapped down or it will move....packing an 11oz tank in place with a bit of foam isn't really enough...... I would suggest a good look around all the other joints as well.....ARTFs can be a bit fragile & a heavy landing can sometrimes crack a joint (between a former & the fuselage say) so have a good look at the airframe before flying it again.....

I have done a bit of work to the Tutor after my heavy dead stick on sunday. I decided to put in a new piece of balsa above the tank area and recover the area. I have also removed the front side panels that were either side of the engine.They were looking a bit tatty and it gives me much better access to the engine. I have also epoxied the bulkhead,hopefully to help fuel proof the area.
Whilst i had the tank area open,i have again replaced all the fuel tubing and double checked that there are no air leaks.
Its a really nice day here at the moment and im itching to go flying,but dont think i could
concentrate with this abcess nagging away. Typical.