Just starting out

flyeruk

Low wing model for an OS 61?

SMC are selling the old Goldberg Tiger 61 as an ARTF, other options include the Hangar 9 Saratoga, Hangar 9 Pulse XT or an Acrowot if you want to build it.

I keep looking at the pulse. I think it looks like the one i will go for.I am already getting a collection of planes. V Trainer,flyingwings slipstream,not yet tried that one,TT Trainer,Irvine Trainer, and the Flair Hannibal. Really looking forward to the time i can fly the HannibalJust one more question,is the OS FX a good engine?

OS have been making model aeroplane engines for at least sixty years and are or were the largest manufacturer of such engines. All OS engines are fine in my experience. Even the LA and FP series of plain bearing engines which are sometimes criticised for lack of power are easy-starting, well-made engines which are easy to set up.

If you want power don't buy a plain bearing engine!

Your FX is a ball-raced engine and will provide years of reliable service if you look after it and use the recommended fuel and plug. OS engines are the industry standard. They are the Volkswagen of the model aeroplane engine world.

Modern Chinese engines are better value for money and internally they may be just as well-machined as an OS. Whether the metallergy is as good remains to be seen. They are not as well-finished as an OS.

Your Hannibal should be a delight to fly. I've flown the smaller Magnatilla and love it.

I'd second everything David says on OS. I have many engines - all but two are OS. Reliable, well made, nicelt presented, easy to get spares if you do need them - even long after the engine has gone out of production! Once set up they just run - no fiddling. There are other good makes of engine - but you know what you're getting with an OS. A bit more expensive, yes. But you get what you pay for.

BEB

PS I case you are wondering - the two non OS engines are an Irvine 53 and a Saito 82. Both good engines in my view.

....and Irvine Engines, of which I have three, are or were junior partners within the OS Corporation, and I believe that the modern Irvine is produced in Japan.

• 2 weeks later...
Finally flew the TT Trainer today. I sat in the field for 2 hours,waiting for the wind to ease off. I then decided to go for it as it didnt look like it was going to ease any more.Takeoff was with no problems,climbed to around 100ft,turning to the left,i managed a couple of circuits around the field.I dont think the TT likes the wind much,but have to say,it was a lot easier to fly than the V Trainer,a lot more stable and slower.Lined her up for my first landing,really didnt have any problems. Landed nice and smoothly.
After a short break,i was off again,this time managed a couple of lazy eights,again lined her up for a landing,came in a bit high so opened her up and went round again. Second landing,not too bad but tipped the nose up as she came down.No damage. One more flight,just a couple of circuits,landed with out any problems.
Hopefully,if the wind is okay,i will be flying again in the morning.

Flew again on sunday. Four flights with the TT Lot less windy. Had a bit more confidence as the wind was low. Managed two 7 minute flights and two 10 minute flights. My landings were a bit bumpy and i need to work on my landing approaches.On the last flight,the nose wheel spun round and it tipped over. Again,no damage.
I have also just bought a Pulse XT 40 with a .47 Evo engine. I must stop buying planes as i now have six.I really wished i had started flying planes years ago,the heli flying has now been put on hold,dont even know if i will go back to it.

I think you would need a bigger engine than a 46 to generate decent smoke.....I think I was told a 1.20 would be the minimum....I'm sure someone will correct me if wrong or you could ask the various suppliers of smoke systems....Peet Tindall, Just Engines....

However....these look kinda fun don't they. I've not used them so can't offer any experience of them but they look like a good idea don't they...

Had 5 flights today with the TT. Getting better all the time. Still having a few problems with my landing approaches, getting the height right on the down wind leg and judging
the distance on the final approach. Having said that,my actual landings are not too bad.Five out of five without any mishaps. I still want to convert it as soon as possable to a tail dragger though as my other planes are tail draggers so it seems to me that its would be a good idea.
Hopefully,weather permitting,i will be able to get a lot more practice next week as i have the whole week off.

Practice, practice, practice....that really is the key. As the full size guys say any landing you walk away from is a good one. Certainly when I was doing my PPL(D) I spent more time on circuits & bumps than anything else...after all every flight has to finish with a landing......make it a good 'un & you can have another go....

Consistantly good landings are the hall mark of good pilot as far as I am concerned. I've seen lots of 3D jockeys that can throw it all over the sky - and then carry out a rubbish landing!

Steve's dead right - its all about practice - the more landings you do that you care about the better your judgement of height, speed and line will get.

BEB

BEB is right......I AM THAT PILOT......

I can throw an aeroplane all over the sky & make it do things that don't even have a name but my landings are often a bit dodgy!!! My excuse is that I only do one landing per flight but I do lots of loops & rolls & @£$%^&*s every flight...

My main problem now is that my club have just lengthened & flattened our runway so I'm running out of excuses....

• 2 weeks later...
I have had had a good weekend flying. Saturday,had 5 flights with the TT,which is now a tail dragger Monday,had 3 flights,and today,tuesday,went up the field at 9.30,and had ten flights.
I am finding the tail dragger easier to take off and land than the trike.Today,i spent half the flights just going round,practising my approaches. Im getting them right most of the time now..
All my landings today have been without mishap. I even managed 6 touch and goes.Im also doing a lot of my flying at full throttle,figure eights,circuits etc. Im suprised how responsive the TT is at full speed. Hope it will stand me in good stead for when i fly the pulse.
Just a couple of questions,how much difference will i find when i fly the pulse compared to the TT and how far off flying it do you think i am?

Posted by flyeruk on 30/08/2011 14:51:45:

1. I am finding the tail dragger easier to take off and land than the trike.

2. Im also doing a lot of my flying at full throttle,figure eights,circuits etc. Im suprised how responsive the TT is at full speed. Hope it will stand me in good stead for when i fly the pulse.

3. Just a couple of questions,how much difference will i find when i fly the pulse compared to the TT and how far off flying it do you think i am?
1. Hmm, the absence of a noseleg doesn't make a good tail dragger landing, however if you are landing "three pointers" now then you are definitely getting somewhere. (Ironically if you can make a three pointer landing with the TT as a tail dragger then the trike setup wouldn't be problem, don't get too hung up on this tail dragger Vs trike thing, some people do and deny themselves some very nice aircraft).

2. Flying at full throttle all the time is much easier than using appropriate throttle inputs at the right time. For example as you go over the top of loop throttle back to idle then just before the bottom start gently opening it up again to cruising speed. Perhaps you are doing already, it's just that you seem to be suggesting otherwise. Try practicing flying circuits at very low throttle too (and at a higher altitude until you get the hang of it). Although the pulse can be flown fast, it's more about aerobatics really and aerobatics involve good throttle use.

3. From what I recall of the pulse it's fairly straight forward to fly, the main difference being that it is less self levelling than you will be used with the trainer. i.e. you put the left wing down a little and let go of the sticks on your trainer and what happens? With the pulse the wing will stay down. Apart from that it would be a case getting used to it before getting too aerobatic.

Ready or not ? Doesn't matter, be patient, fully master the TT for a while then move onto something else would be my advice.

Edited By Ian Jones on 30/08/2011 16:30:11

The reason i am finding it easier to take off and land with the tail dragger is because where i fly,is very bumpy. I had problems with the nose wheel catching in the bumps and grass,which made the firewall move. I have repaired the firewall now. The rough ground also kept bending the nose wheel so it was difficult to keep it tracking straight.I am finding that the tail dragger is a much more robust set up.The site i am flying from is a well used flying site at a place called Little Haldon in south Devon.
Although i said that im flying at full throttle,i also fly at slow speeds as well. Im doing low and high slow circuits and figure eights as well as higher speed flying. I have been flying helis for a few years before planes so do understand about appropriate use of throttle. Flying a Raptor 90 se teaches you very quickly about throttle control.
The plane i started with is a v trainer from a company called Flyingwings.The model that i have is the aileron trainer. If you have a look at the wing on this model,you will see that there is no dihedral at all,it is completely flat. The TT trainer is,in my opinion,a lot easier to fly than the v trainer regards stability. The v trainer does not self level at all but i have not had any problems in that respect.

• 3 weeks later...
I managed to get a couple of flights with the TT yesterday after work.One problem im having,that i cant seem to sort out is, the TT in tail dragger configuration,when im taking off,standing behind the plane,it veers to the right. I am putting in full left rudder but it still veers of to the right. I have checked that the wheels are straight, with a little toe in and have no problems when i land. I have got used to taking off like this but would like to know if there is anything else i can do about this problem.apart from this little problem,my flying seems to be getting better every flight.Really looking forward to flying the pulse soon.
I should add that this veering is only happening when it is on the ground. 

Edited By flyeruk on 16/09/2011 20:50:36

I managed to get six flights on saturday and five today on the TT. Still have the problem with pulling to the right before lifting off but not too worried about it. I have decided that next week will be my first flight with the Pulse. I am going to set the low rates as recommended in the instructions and see how it goes from there.Any tips or suggestions for my first flight would be much appreciated.