The joy of slope

Have you honestly concluded then that the actual receiver was to blame?
If you were on finals, then you were not far away in range terms, but maybe aerial orientation was not good ( the model was coming toward you right ? )
I did have an issue of range with one of the 6 channel orange clones ( in the weasel actually ) but moving the receiver slightly, and allowing the short single aerial wire to exit the fuselage housing and be visible seemed to cure it. Just a thought........

Advert

Tim. I had to walk backwards up the slope about 20 yards to the flat part at the top for landing. I'd been traversing the Banana back and forth across the slope whilst I did this, so it wasn't far out. I checked behind me and was happy to bring her in whilst she was traversing from left to right and was about to gain a little more height ready for the downwind leg when she turned slightly towards the slope. I tried to counter that with left aileron but she kept coming right until she was coming directly towards the pits. I then was giving right aileron to try and take her back out but to no avail and she hit the ground at some speed just in front of a Strega, bounced over the Strega and cartwheeled to a halt. The RX also had one of the satelite units attached, for added security. Checking the controls after the crash and the ones that weren't damaged in the crash worked. I also checked the state of the battery which had 80% charge in it.

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 17/10/2011 14:19:07:
All I have to say about the crash is .....

And that I'm not going to use Orange receivers in anything other than foamies, however, this was my 1st incident with this type of rx after dozens of flying hours using several of these.

Hard luck Steve.

Any possibilty the servos had momentarily taken all the current and shut down the receiver?

Sorry for your loss Steve......will the Banana fly again?

Interestingly (or not!!!) I was talking to a guy at our (power) club just this week & he had stopped using Orange Rxs for exactly the same reason...he'd lost two models in exactly the same way you describe.......models in a left turn that couldn't be corrected & got steeper until they went in...... Everything checked out as OK when he got the wreckage back to the bench.....

Doesn't really prove anything obviously but a worrying trend!!!

A question for you Weasel owners if Imay
I have a couple of BRC 9 g micro servos, will these be up to the job on the Weasel?
Also are the servo to elervon horns, snakes etc which are supplied ok, or are upgrades recommended.
Any other advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys
Phil

Edited By Big Phil on 17/10/2011 20:16:37

Posted by Big Phil on 17/10/2011 20:15:48:

A question for you Weasel owners if Imay
I have a couple of BRC 9 g micro servos, will these be up to the job on the Weasel?
Also are the servo to elervon horns, snakes etc which are supplied ok, or are upgrades recommended.
Any other advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys
Phil

I use two towerpro MG90S servos in mine with no issues bought them from Giantcod, used the linkages as supplied still going strong after a few years (I fly it at least twice a week BTW)

Ok, I've decided this slope soaring thing is not good for my work time management. I took an extended lunch today, leave my house at 12 and be back at 2 pm. Gives me an hour and half of flying at the top of Garway Hill with winds 20+ mph. Enjoyed myself so much I only just made it back in time for my 3pm meeting. Shame I put on Facebook that I was playing or I would have dreamt up an excuse to skip the meeting!

Damn this hobby

Morning all.
I'm getting all the bits together ready for when my Weasel arrives and am debating whether to permanently fix the wings or have them detachable.
If detachable, has anyone had any issues with them coming apart in flight or are the magnets that good ?
Also what glue is used if I decide to go the non-detachable route.
I gather I need a AAA square battery pack and switch? Is a battery pack available bigger than 800mah in 'AAA'size 

Thanks all

Phil

Edited By Big Phil on 19/10/2011 09:01:14

Hi Phil, I just used diamond tape ( and the magnets ) to hold the wings on, even after the tape eventually broke ( the orme can be unforgiving ) the only time the wing moved was on landing, and then I just slide it back in place and chuck it off again.
Yup, 4 x small ( 600 -800 mahr ) AAA in square config.
You are gonna love this model.

Thanks Tim

I'm afraid the sloping bug has bit extremely hard.
I took ol' faithful out on Saturday,my beloved Big Stik, and it did not float my boat

Then sloping on Sunday and ,wow,big cheesy smiles all round.
Do I need to change the medication?

I foresee a lot of cold winter days on top of a mountain!!!!!!!

Phil

LOL an oh so familiar tale
On that note, its rather nicely returned us to the true meaning of this thread, which was of course, how to get your flying fix when the field is wet and boggy and the wind just doesnt permit flying of the regular powered models. I dont know about you, but the Sim just doesnt do it for me - a lonely, one way sterile environment.
A few hours up the big rock, with proper clothing and good company, a flask of hot coffee, and some diet sticky buns - now we're talking

The Weasel has just arrived.

First impressions are good, nice clean edges and no apparent flaws in the moulding.
I think I am going to have a problem with the R,X I was planing to fit ( Futaba 617 ) I don't think it will fit!!!
I'll have to measure and see what FASST 2.4 type will fit.

I want this model light so I'm planning a couple of stripes for orientation purpose only. Where I fly is grass so hopefully no need for C/W tape.

As usual, any advice is always appreciated

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
Still waiting to maiden the Weasel.

It looked like there was going to be a couple of hours break in the weather this morning, but, woke up to rain...........
And it looks like its in for the day.
Wind was looking just right, 8-18mph.

I had even convinced Steve 'H' to leave his domestic duties for a couple of hours.

Phil...........

Great video Tim, I must get a 'hat cam'.

The Weasel looks good for close in flying.

We managed to get a break in the rain this morning so we headed up Twm Barlwm and was greeted by low cloud. This had no intention of shifting so all we managed were a couple of glide tests with the Weasel.
I'm off Wed & Thur this week so fingers crossed.