The joy of slope

Advert

Well yesterday I went up to the Bwlch for a dys flying. The wind was northerly so it was the VR98 slope. Roger had only just arrived as I got there with Mark following close behind me. We flew for a little while before the wind turned NE, so we moved a few hundred yards to fly the Wrecker.

The lift was very light and thermic and the Beevo had been flying nicely. I changed over to the WT, which was flying ok but could have done with a bit more puff in the wind, but suddenly the wind just died, a black hole where a thermal had been, and my WT began to sink rapidly. I brought it as close to the vertical cliff face as I could but it touched down on a small ledge about 5' below, then tumbled down out of sight. I got into the car and drove down to the VR98 layby where I could see the Wrecker clearly, and through binoculars could see the WT 50' below the cliff edge where it then becomes about a 45° slope, covered with heather and broken rock. I couldn't access it from the top so the only option was to drive down to the bottom, then walk across very boggy ground before making the slow climb upwards.

About 45 minutes later I had retrieved the model, torn a hole in my trousers, and left my legs aching, but at least I got it back.

Was it worth it for £100 worth of foam? Hell yes

Okay peeps,

As promised... Here is a quick review of the Turnighy Transmitter Mitt and Neck Strap!

My initial look over the item showed a well made and sturdy mitt with a very large clear window and Ariel ports to accept both 35Mhz and 2.4 Ghz transmitters.

Access to put the transmitter inside is very easy with full length zips either side of the window.

As you can see here with my Dx6i inside, there is pleanty of spare room and you could easily fit the larger transmitters inside!

The 2.4 ariel comes through the hole in the screen which has a rubberised grommit in it!

The neck strap fits through a perfectly located slit in the screen and neatly clips onto the transmitter . The strap has a heavy duty clip on it also so you dont have to keep taking it off from round your neck. Useful. Also the strap is fully length adjustable.

The holes to put your hands inside are large enough for my big dishplate hands but dont have any excess material to grip around the wrist to make the inside more sealed from the weather but I dont think it will be a problem really.

The underside is made of a "faux leather" type material and will certainly provide good protection to the transmitter from moisture and dirt if placed on the ground.

SWMBO reluctantly agreed to be my model for the item so for the final view.. How it looks when worn!!

So for a cost of £8.66 exc p+p, it really is a great investment. (Especially for up the slope in winter time!!!)
Hope thats all been of use,

Dave

Excellent review David.....I must say I was slightly worried by your 5th picture as it seemed you might have a natty line in knitted cardies but your last picture made it all clear....

A good piece of kit by the looks of it.......two questions from me though.....1) is the neckstrap included? I seem to think from some of the reviews at HK that it might be an extra 2) is the clear plastic over the Tx supported in some way...to keep it clear of the Tx sticks?

Weekend is looking good in sunny South Wales, 15 - 25 mph Easterlies.
So, what with it being my weekend off it looks like I will be sloping on Sunday along with Steve Houghton.

We are not sure of the slope, we could travel to the Bwlch to fly the Crest or try a more local slope, Man Moel, we'll decide on Sunday.

I hope to maiden the Weasel ( I don't know if the forecast wind speed will be to high?) and hopefully have a few photos to post Sunday evening.
Fingers crossed.

Posted by Steve Hargreaves on 11/11/2011 11:16:48:
A good piece of kit by the looks of it.......two questions from me though.....1) is the neckstrap included? I seem to think from some of the reviews at HK that it might be an extra 2) is the clear plastic over the Tx supported in some way...to keep it clear of the Tx sticks?

Steve,

1. Yes, the Neck Strap is sold seperately to the Mitt but the price I showed includes the cost of the Neck Strap (individual price of Strap is £0.61)

2. The clear plastic screen is only supported from the sides/bottom and on 2.4 transmitters where the ariel goes through the screen! Although it may sound odd and not very well supported, I find that it is plenty good enough and doesn't interfere with the controls at all.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Posted by Phil Claridge on 05/11/2011 16:44:25:
ian, there is a flying site near beuleigh. i cannot give you a proper address or good directions as i ca'nt remember any of the road names. my mate who knows all the gen has gone on holiday to egypt so i ca'nt ask him for you. i think it maybe the site for a southampton club if thats any help

Thanks Phil, I've made enquiries and have been invited to fly there but the shortage of a slope has put the stoppers on it

Edited By Ian Jones on 12/11/2011 12:12:03

Thanks Tim, he enjoyed that.
Mine turned up today and can not believe the quality.
Going to maiden the Weasel tomorrow and if I get a chance tonight I will mount the camera on my cap.

Phil

One word of warning.. dont carry it in your pocket unless its in a matchbox or similar.
The "ON" button is easily accidentally activated, and your battery expires / card fills up with blackness LOL.
Ask me how I know .

Have fun with the weasel
They are also of course, great fun fitted to the models for inflight video.
Incidentally, I have now applied the very easy fix to permanently remove the date and time stamp.

Edited By Tim Mackey on 12/11/2011 19:00:36

Oh my god, what a maiden
The Weasel took to the air in 18mph plus winds today.
What a model, how would I describe it, awesome, fantastic, agile and FUN.

We ( Steve Houghton & myself ) went to Manmoel Common over Ebbw vale, S.Wales this morning to a slope that had been recommended to me. Initially we were disappointed due to a lot of rough air, possibly due to trees lower down the slope, so we moved a few hundred yards along the slope and on slightly higher ground. This made a huge difference.

I flew the W.T first before having a go with the Weasel. This is a fantastic little model, it is so manoeuvrable and it loves inverted flight, in no time at all I was chucking it about nice and close

Later Steve decided that we should have a go at combat with our W.T's, never doing this before I was rather nervous.
5 minutes into the flight the newbie scored the only point down went his W.T.........coooool. (sorry Steve )

A few photos will follow and I tried my new cap mounted HD key fob cam,but have a few issues with that - a subject for another post

All in all,my most enjoyable day on the slope by far.

Phil

Drat you Big Phil, I WILL have my revenge, ha ha ha ha ha (he laughs in fiendish voice).

It was a good few hours fun flying though with Phil catching my WT as I brought her in for a landing.

After Phil left the slope, I drove the 30 miles to fly the Crest at the Bwlch. I had to go as I'd received a message saying that the lift was banging, plus this was the only slope at the Bwlch I hadn't flown. When I arrived I launched the WT and it immediately rose about 100' into the sky, and yes, the lift was banging. How would I describe it? Awesome, immense, phenomenal etc. It was the best lift I'd ever flown in, huge with no turbulence, however there is a downside, and this was the rotor which, I could feel almost as strong on the back of my head as I could the wind in my face.

Anyway, what a cracking days flying :D

A couple of photo's of yesterdays maiden as promised.
Thanks Steve for taking them.

i'll try and put a bit of video together later

I recently obtained a pre-loved Skorpion which was in a bit of a state mechanically.
Amongst other things the aileron servo arms were different lengths which gave far more movement to one aileron than the other.
Anyway, I spent a couple of weeks sorting it out and there is now no slop anywhere.
All set up with flaps linked to ailerons for increased roll rate, ailerons linked to flaps for full wing camber; three flight modes (cruise, thermal and speed) and crow braking.

Today was the day for its "maiden".
I checked the hour by hour weather forecast this morning - early fog clearing by 10am to give a bright sunny day and a "straight on"southerly at 10mph which would give an ideal 15mph on the edge.

Arrived at the slope about 11am and it was still foggy, so I did a range check on the Skorp and had lunch.
The fog was starting to clear and there was a bright glow in the sky, yet somehow the sun never managed to get the better of the fog which stayed all day.

The Skorp never did get in the air and I spent several hours flying the SAS Fusion, yet never more than 30 yards away from me otherwise it would disappear into the greyness.
So, six or more flights with the Fusion just cruising up and down the lip of the slope, and a lot of precision control needed to do that.
Even manged to get in some loops and rolls.

Despite the disappointment of not being able to maiden the Skorp, I had a great time flying close in, in the fog.

Just one more example of the joy of the slope.