The joy of slope

Steve,
its pretty damp down here at the moment we just had 100mm of rain in 6 hrs with lots of local flooding going on,so after 10 years plus of drought now we are going under water

Edited By stephen wenban on 09/02/2012 21:44:41

Advert

Posted by stephen wenban on 09/02/2012 21:44:02:
Steve,
its pretty damp down here at the moment we just had 100mm of rain in 6 hrs with lots of local flooding going on,so after 10 years plus of drought now we are going under water

Edited By stephen wenban on 09/02/2012 21:44:41

They used to tell us at school that it only rained every 10 years down under there. I bet it's hard to buy a pair of wellies at the moment. Seriously though, I hope no one comes to any harm.

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 09/02/2012 08:22:47:
Heres a picture taken from the layby at the Wrecker slope at the Bwlch, which over looks Cwmparc and Treorchi.

envy

Ian, I know, the flying there is awesome. There are 6 slopes within spitting distance of each other so we can fly no matter what the wind direction is. The slope in the picture is a vertical cliff over 400' high, the only problem flying it is the severe rotor for landing. We have to walk across the road and up the slope to the rear to land otherwise it'll just trash any model in anything other than the lightest of winds, hence the slopes name. "The Wrecker". The other slopes don't have that problem and are just as great to fly, so if ever you head down this way, you'll have to check it out.

This is another picture of part of the Bwlch mountain which shows 2 of the slopes. The left hand cliff is the Wrecker, which is where I took the photo above from, and the cliff on the right is the The Crest, the most awesome of all the slopes. I must go up there with my camera and take photo's of all the slopes as I can't find anything on line.

Hi All,

I'm considering giving this sloping game a try and wondered if I could pick a few brains - probably aimed mainly at Steve and Big Phil, as I'm in the north Cardiff area and so expecting to give Meio or Eglwysilan a try, and I can see you're both familiar with those slopes.

I've done a little flat field flying, but haven't bought anything suitable for sloping yet. What I'm thinking of doing (I don't want to dignify this with the word "plan"...) is buying a powered Zagi and getting familiar with that before chucking it off a slope. I'm thinking that using a powered wing might give me a bit of confidence (possibly misplaced) and would allow me to start off in relatively light wind with maybe a bit of motor assistance, but I'm not sure if the extra weight (motor, bigger battery, etc.) will mean it's not really going to work for sloping. So my questions are:

(1) Is this a completely daft idea - would I be better with something like a Weasel or Widthing straight away?
(2) With regard to those slopes, from what I can tell from Google maps they're hills rather than cliffs, so I assume if it goes wrong then I'm just walking straight down the hill a bit to retrieve it and then walking back up, rather than having to take some tortuous route?
(3) Again, using Google maps I can see where to park for the Meio, but where do you park for Eglwysilan - just somewhere along the road to the west of the hill?

Thanks in advance, and feel free to tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree!

Andy.

Watering Eyes!

Fed up with difficult access to the Hexham Field due to Northumberland bearing the brunt of supplying the North East with water in 2009, Sadfly and Flygeek decided to try slope soaring. Now this decision is not taken lightly, slope soarers are a known wild race which doesn’t take to strangers easily! They are fiercely protective of the secrets of their dark art, but the intrepid duo managed to gleam that you require 2 things - a slope and an airframe.
A kind farmer allowed them access to a slope overlooking Hadrians Wall. If nothing else, this was going to be an attractive walk. Sadfly already had an Easy Star in an attic ready for revival and keen to avoid any cost, this would do. On the basis that it would be easy to repair when inevitably broken, an Easy Glider was purchased by Flygeek.
After much exhaustive research the intrepid duo learned that after reaching the top of the slope, the gliders, in our case the Easy Star (which was both) and the Easy Glider (which was neither), were to be thrown off. If the wind is in the right direction, the models fly upwards and backwards. Actually, the Easy Star penetrated the light Northumberland breeze (40 mph) and was happily flying in a most lively fashion along the slope. 40 minutes later when Flygeek had returned from retrieving the Easy Glider from the valley behind, it was doing some nicely controlled aerobatics.
So, the pair learned that you actually need 3 things, ballast being the 3rd! The Easy Star with it's sub C cells was perfect, but the Easy Glider needed the insertion of a 6mm threaded rod into the wing spar. Now fully ballasted, the Easy Glider was able to stay in the lift along the slope but with it's tail twisting alarmingly in the 40 mph winds, control was occasional and hopeful rather than accurate.
It was at this point they discovered the major problem that slope soarers don't tell you about! Watering Eyes! Was this from staring in manic concentration into a gale? No - it was from the manic laughter that slope soaring induces. Do try it.

Posted by Andrew Dowden on 10/02/2012 14:13:38:
Hi All,

I'm considering giving this sloping game a try and wondered if I could pick a few brains - probably aimed mainly at Steve and Big Phil, as I'm in the north Cardiff area and so expecting to give Meio or Eglwysilan a try, and I can see you're both familiar with those slopes.

I've done a little flat field flying, but haven't bought anything suitable for sloping yet. What I'm thinking of doing (I don't want to dignify this with the word "plan"...) is buying a powered Zagi and getting familiar with that before chucking it off a slope. I'm thinking that using a powered wing might give me a bit of confidence (possibly misplaced) and would allow me to start off in relatively light wind with maybe a bit of motor assistance, but I'm not sure if the extra weight (motor, bigger battery, etc.) will mean it's not really going to work for sloping. So my questions are:

(1) Is this a completely daft idea - would I be better with something like a Weasel or Widthing straight away?
(2) With regard to those slopes, from what I can tell from Google maps they're hills rather than cliffs, so I assume if it goes wrong then I'm just walking straight down the hill a bit to retrieve it and then walking back up, rather than having to take some tortuous route?
(3) Again, using Google maps I can see where to park for the Meio, but where do you park for Eglwysilan - just somewhere along the road to the west of the hill?

Andy.

1) Buy a Wildthing.

2) Yup

3) No idea

Posted by Andrew Dowden on 10/02/2012 14:13:38:
Hi All,

Andy.

Hi Andy

I would agree with Tims reply above, buy a 46" Wildthing and you're covered for most wind speeds other than the very lightest.

Meio and Eglwsilan are commons with a steep hill, as apposed to being a mountain. Meio does have the easier parking and can be flown in winds from the SW and NW. With Eglwsilan you just pull in where you can thats is safe. Eglwsilan is flown on a westerly or WSW and has less turbulence generally than Meio. Both Big Phil and I prefer to fly that slope. If you do land out on either, which I recently did whilst maidening my Speedo on Meio, (theres a video of it on the video thread) it is just a case of walking to the bottom for it.

Niether Big Phil or myself are able to fly this weekend but we will be out next Sunday and I will probably be out on Saturday too, where depends on the weather, but you would be most welcome to come along and join us if yopu wish.

Steve

Andy, I can highly reccomend a 46" wildthing as a first model (I also have the Fusion which is just as good).
Don't faff around with motors! (unless you intent to fly the model from a flat field). They just ain't necessary! as long as you chose a slope with the wind blowing onto the face you can't really go wrong! (watch the birds)
It's a daunting thing to lob a model off the first time but believe me, once you have you will wonder why you were worried.
Ifyou are worried just hook up with a local flier (who'e on the same mode ) and ask them to pilot the launch and landings for the first couple of flights. That's what Tim did for me and I was soon doing it solo.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Marty

Andy that's all good advice, I know because it's what I was told. I was like you I couldn't really quite come to terms with assembling a model then chucking it off a cliff. Believe me though it's not nearly as scary in reality and I've no doubt that Steve &  Big Phil will see you right so stick with them.

If it helps you may like to have a look at how I got started here Sloping Off.

Edited By Ian Jones on 10/02/2012 16:07:05

Hi Andy.
Dito to just about everything above.

I started off with a second hand Zagi and pretty much bought a 46" Wildthing straight away, they are brilliant.

As Steve has mentioned, we are not flying this weekend, but will next (weather permitting) Please,do join us. If we fly Eglwsilan or the Meio I'll take a spare radio and buddy lead and you can have a go if the conditions are right.

I would not bother with the powered Zagi, go straight for the Wildthing, I recently converted my old Zagi to powered, it is fun, but, it is best for the flat field in my opinion.

Here's a link to a you tube video of my first go at sloping

It is a bit daunting chucking something off a slope for the first time,but trust me, you will love it........

Phil

Andy ,my advise is to right now plan on a few 100 pounds a year to begin with as your sloping allowance . Once the slope bug bites resistance is futile , Although I've not seen or flown a wildthing they are a very popular choice in England . There are many other models available but its wise to stick with a model with local knowledge behind it. As to an engine
and a Zagi steer clear of it you don't need either .And I'm sure that most the guys on this this thread would be most upset by the whiring noise of a prop wrecking the serenity of the slope. Stick with these lads and you'll be a slope flying fool like the rest of us in no time
Is there a cure for slope fever ? No you'll never get it out of your system .
Steve W confessed slope addict for 30years

For those of you slopies who have never experienced the pleasure that is flying at the Bwlch Mountain in S. Wales, here are some pictures I either nicked from Google Earth or taken from my own video clips. There are 6 slopes, The Crest, The Wrecker, Back of Wrecker, VR98 (Viking Race 1998), Ice Cream Slope, Mickey's (S. West) & Mickey's (West), a slope for every wind direction, and whatever wind speed the forecasters say it is for the day, you can usually add 10mph at least at the Bwlch. As you might have gathered, I love this place

The Crest (E & SE) & Wrecker (NE)

The VR98 (N), Wrecker (NE) & Mickeys (SW & W) in the distance

Ice Cream Slope (NW)

Back of Wrecker (S & SE)

Mickey's (SW & W)

Ha ha, you'd think so wouldn't you. But there are usually just 3 of us who fly it week in, week out, sometimes you get 5 or 6, or maybe a few more if the Bristol guys come over. We do get foreign visitors who love to fly here and they can't understand why it's so empty, and neither can I.

Day off work as my car is laid up in the garage, so I've taken the opportunity to charge all the RX packs in all of my gliders ready for the weekend. It seems like rain is forecast for Saturday, but I will be on Meio in the morning if it doesn't, but Big Phil and myself will be on the NW slope of Meio.

Andy. If you come along on Sunday, Big Phil and myself should be there from between 9:30 - 10:00. Wind is forecast to be NW so park up in the layby by the cattle grid, the one by the shipping container which is used by a shooting club. Not sure yet whose car we'll be taking but I have a black Clio and Phil has a green Fiesta. You can either wait for us if we haven't arrived or go on up, or if we've already arrived, walk towards the left hand side of the slope and follow the path going diagonally to the left. You're at the flying area when all the tufty grass on your right has gone and you have a nice expanse of smoothish ground.

Thanks, Steve - I think I should be able to make it up there on Sunday morning, and the weather looks good, assuming there's enough wind.

I might even be coming "equipped" - I was talking about being interested in sloping to a colleague of mine who I know flys rc gliders, and he said he had an old flying wing he could lend me. It's... you've guessed it... a zagi. He reckons it's almost indestructable - I said that sounds too much like a challenge for my liking! The only problem I can see is that the servos are a little on the tired side to say the least, and one of them seems to be a bit slow compared to the other, so I'm not sure that it'll fly that well.

By the way (he said, slightly nervously) - exactly what do the "shooting club" shoot at?!

Hi Andrew

Big Phil has a Zagi so he can give your the low down on changing the servo's, I don't know if they are mini or standard in those, either way it would be worth replacing them. You should have seen the state of the one Phil was given, then he flew it, and after he'd wiped the HUGE grin off his face teeth 2, he re-covered it. then went out and bought a Wildthing.

There will be enough wind on Sunday. I've flown in 4-5mph up there before now. Granted you can't do much but stooge around but flying is possible, and Phil is looking to maiden his new Speedo, and I expect he'll want me to video that.

Anyway, I'm waffling now. See you up there Sunday morning. thumbs up

Phil, I'm being a dirty stop out tonight and staying in Gavin & Stacy land, so I'll see you at the Meio about 9.45 with my Banana, Speedo and I think I'll bring the Beevo instead of the WT as I haven't flown it in ages.

Video camera will be charged and raring to go to capture your Speedo maiden and maybe Andrew losing his sloping virginitywink

Yep, I had my initiation into the world of slope soaring yesterday, and I can now see why it's so addictive - even with a ancient borrowed Zagi, complete with a bit of antehedral, very limited elevon movement, and a left elevon servo that would eventually return to centre, as long as you didn't mind waiting a bit for it to do so!

Many thanks to Steve and Big Phil for being so welcoming and providing excellent advice and help, and also to the others up on the Meio yesterday morning (Chris and Mark, I think? - apologies, I'm absolutely dreadful at remembering names!) Hopefully I'll be able to come along again the next time you're flying either Meio or Eglwysilan.

Oh, and based on yesterday's experience I've already decided what my first sloping purchase will be - not a Zagi, a Wildthing or a Weasel, but a better pair of gloves!