The joy of slope

just got back from an ace day out at a local slope site, first time in 3 years, rejoined club and maidened 3 models between us, it has re affirmed why i do this modeling lark,,,,,for the laffs!! ..lots of flying even though it was quite foggy first thing, what can be better than standing on the edge of a slope flying whilst half a dozen "mates" extract the waste water and quickfire sarcasm is the order of the day,whilst going on a hike to fetch a "landed out" model :'' :'' :'' found every hole full of water deeper than my shoes!! but happy to have flown two models i refurbed, acquired from the estate of a passed friend, on the same slopes he flew them from,
cheers to all the usuall bunch of scroates mates Ian, Ant, Tony and not forgetting Rob got a smile on me mush that wont go away!! :af :af :af

chris

• 5 weeks later...
Advert

• 3 months later...
As the thread suggests and I'm sure Tim would agree with me that when the weather is too windy and your unable to fly at your normal field or site, try a glider either build or buy one and hunt out a hill, ridge or slope and try a spot of slope soaring. I only came into this slope flying myself a few years back, I participate in other disciplines however I'm hooked on sloping.

The originator of this thread Tim Mackey can be seen here enjoying his local site and he demonstrates flying from a steep coastal site and pushes out over the sea. Sorry for the wind noise and icky top right on the lens (it's a new camera I'll have to take it back). The model is sometimes a speck far out, however there's a worthy commentary at this time within his flight.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 24/03/2015 20:48:15

Hi Mark, I couldn't make out what Tim said about what to do when pushing too far out and seeing the lift drop. He mentioned inexperienced pilots panicking and trying to get back to the slope but couldn't make out what you should do Appreciate if you can recall.

Many Thanks

Fraser

Hello Fraser, he said I think - often pilots put a little to much up in trying to keep the model up at the same height, when if you let the model glide and keep it's air speed without putting up in the model often climbs away again with higher air speed and without upsetting it's trim by putting in the up / elevator. Did you like the video Fraser?

This particular slope flys a NNW direction and pilots are positioned a fair way back from the main cliff face - due to their being a roadway right on the edge of the cliff at this point. When there is good strong straight wind its fine - albeit models do tend to be further out than when we fly the "normal" W or SW slope just around the corner. However this NW slope is renowned for suddenly losing lift and when its a bit marginal like it was this day ( 11 -12 mph on the meters ) pilots need to keep their nerve and push out to find the lift. Inexperienced or nervous pilots see the model slowly descend after launching and tend to panic and turn back into the hill. Overdoing the controls is also dangerous in light lift - keep inputs small and smooth - panicking and pulling great wodges of elevator will only add drag, lose speed and bring a stall. This almost always ends badly - you need to stay brave and push out to get lift. Of course if the wind is strong and straight on the slope - its all a lot easier on the buttocks

Edited By Tim Mackey on 25/03/2015 00:47:02

Brilliant! Thanks Mark & Tim, appreciate your feedback.

Really good info. Great video Mark, I was using it like a tutorial I was amazed at how quickly the glider disappears into the distance and re-emerges for a fly past. I'm heading up to Wales for Easter with the family so am going to throw a little Flite Test design foam wing in the car to try sloping it. I'll try the dunes near Aberdovey first and then maybe get a bit more adventurous but theses little nuggets of knowledge are really great. It's funny, every time we go back to Wales as I'm chilling looking out over the bays my mind quickly drifts to 'wonder if I could slope off here'?

If successful this time I see me investing in a little SAS Wildthing to keep in the cottage for the summer visit

Thanks chaps!

Edited By Fraser White on 25/03/2015 11:22:43

• 1 month later...

Went out to Edge Top (LMMGA) for a couple of hours this afternoon to maiden my 1.5m HK Wicked Wing...

20150510_175516.jpg

Also flew the ST Fox which was bending the wings a little but lots of fun. Started slope soaring at the beginning of this year to expand my flying ability and have to say it's very addictive. laugh

Posted by Chris Barlow on 10/05/2015 19:46:52:

Went out to Edge Top (LMMGA) for a couple of hours this afternoon to maiden my 1.5m HK Wicked Wing...

20150510_175516.jpg

Also flew the ST Fox which was bending the wings a little but lots of fun. Started slope soaring at the beginning of this year to expand my flying ability and have to say it's very addictive. laugh

That's where I maidened my Wicked Wing too!. The lift decayed and I went and tried at The Pool but there the lift had just died. Then on the way home my car died too crying 2. (Story here)

Anyway, it flew very well, still does but I found the supplied servo sticky pads were not up to the job and the servos came loose. Under torge from the input the servos came unstuck but when landed the seemed to sitck in place again. Made for some very strange flights before I realised what was happening.

aftermaiden1a(1).jpg

I notice yours has diffent shaped fins to mine, don't suppose it matters.

Ian

Edited By Ian Jones on 10/05/2015 21:00:09

Just read the blog in the link, sounds like that was an interesting day!

My wing actually came with 2 Windrider stickers & a cartoon bee sticker! Very light for 25mph winds but still it flew very smooth. Not enough elevon for good rolls yet but loops were nice & tight and equally nice big & open!

Yes Chris a day of mixed fortunes.

Anyway that settles the Windrider Bee clone question. I've yet to fly mine in a decent wind though that wasn't the original intention, it was more of a backup when the lift isn't so good.

No doubt see you up there sometime.

Ian

I just love this time of year ! With the light evenings,being able to finish work, go home & take a trip out to the Purbecks, had a great hour & half at Smedmore hill overlooking Kimmeridge Bay flying a MPX Blizzard, got a bit chilly as the evening went on thou, slept well last night !

Not enjoying being back in the office this morning ................

russ.

• 2 months later...

That's a lovely looking Provost Phil, and good luck with the (re) maiden flight.

Our 50's jets take some beating and I wish someone would manufacture a larger EDF version of the Provost, or even the Hawker Sea Hawk for that matter. Both subjects aren't seen enough in my opinion.