How much do you spend on the hobby per year?

Tom T

Hi
I personally wouldn't bother in a model shop. I'm just 18 a few days ago, so I'm at college, and work at a local mini Market, as it is alot better pay.

As for my yearly spend, I spend probably 2.5k-3k on buying models. 750-1000 on building models, but I also do alot of
Building for
Other people so get money and items via that.
I'm just putting together my new 100cc extra 260 that's 105 inch wingspan;-p

Thanks
Josh

Advert

What I spend and what I use is two different figures.

I have enough servos to last me years, a big collection of electric motors, from 5g up to 200g, a box just over a foot cube full of props, and lots of things like servo reversers, tail mixers, servo slows, lost model finders, onboard battery checkers etc etc, plus plenty of spare receivers.
I also have about 10 glow engines, that I will never use, as I only fly electric! Daft.

My logic, or lack of it goes something like this. I need four servos to finish this plane, which the cheapest local price on ebay is £x, so I may as well order 10 from china for the same price. Then I find I really like them, so I order more in case they are not available in future.

The advantage is that if I want to build something, I don't have to buy anything for it (just replace it for the next time). The disadvantage is that I have stuff sitting idle, not earning interest (not a factor to consider at present though)

I would say £1100-1200 a year, out of which I use about £850 a year. This does not include club fees and petrol to get to the field.

Compare this with someone who smokes and drinks for a hobby, it costs me less, and I still have something left!

• 3 months later...

Well I don't have a plane yet nor any tackle, just sold my heli and researching planes at the mo.

As I'm going to be a new flyer it's going to cost a few £££'s to start out, as I sold the heli RTF.

But by reading these post it's going to be a lot cheaper to fly and maintain a plane

As for earning money I had a paper round and working in a engineering firm Saturday's 08:00-12:00 for £10 plus my £8 for doing papers. Yes £18 a week at 15 sounds crap to what i now earn, but having no bills to pay it soon adds up, plus birthday Xmas money and I was loaded. 

You should find some thing to do you it will be cheep labour.

Edited By Dean Jeffery on 04/04/2012 17:35:24

Posted by Tom T on 04/04/2012 18:04:49:

That was a long time since all the above.... how things have changed disgust.

That doesn't sound to bad Dean, £74 a month, thats £148 over two months which means you can buy yourself a foamie wot 4 :D

gees i'm at home now would not have brought this back if i could see the last post date, i was using the phone while at work.

That was back when i was 15, now old and abit gray (32) but i blame the wife erm paper rounds.