How much do you spend on the hobby per year?

Tom T

Dear Fellow members!

Just by interest i was wondering, How much do you think you spend on this hobby a year? (please say if this is being to nosy and if i'm Cross Threading)

I think i spent around £350 in my first year which was practically all my pocket money OOPS!! LOL !

Tom

Advert

Thats not to bad considering! Theres a guy at my club that brought a £4000 plane and then has just brought another probably work 1000 :L Why does the electronics and engines have to be soo expensive! LOL

The spend tends to go up when a change in modeling direction occurs,for instance starting with EP after using IC .or fixed wing to Helli .
Very keen modelers coming back after a break often spend a lot,new radios ,power systems ,and Kit's.
As i have a lot of models my annual spend is probably less than £700.

Tom (is RC mad)

Although it seems expensive, you've actually got it pretty good - when I were nobbut more than a lad (scarily, it doesn't seem 10 minutes ago) - a basic proportional outfit (6 channel tx, rx, 4 servos and NiCad batteries and not even servo reversing) cost me the equivalent of around £1500 in today's money!

Stick with it and you'll start to build up a collection of useful stuff if you keep your eyes open at club bring and buys, ebay, shows etc. - who knows, make yourself useful at your club and you may find the odd bit of surplus kit coming your way...

How much do I spend? I try not to think too much about it but as Tom W2 says, one year it can be a few hundred pounds, the next you hope the wife is in an understanding mood!

Edited By Martin Harris on 01/06/2011 00:36:33

Posted by Martin Harris on 01/06/2011 00:34:56:
Tom (is RC mad)

Although it seems expensive, you've actually got it pretty good - when I were nobbut more than a lad (scarily, it doesn't seem 10 minutes ago) - a basic proportional outfit (6 channel tx, rx, 4 servos and NiCad batteries and not even servo reversing) cost me the equivalent of around £1500 in today's money!

Stick with it and you'll start to build up a collection of useful stuff if you keep your eyes open at club bring and buys, ebay, shows etc. - who knows, make yourself useful at your club and you may find the odd bit of surplus kit coming your way...

How much do I spend? I try not to think too much about it but as Tom W2 says, one year it can be a few hundred pounds, the next you hope the wife is in an understanding mood!

Edited By Martin Harris on 01/06/2011 00:36:33

Ah, there's the rub, as the Bard would say.

This subject has been done before young Tom, some time back, but no worries, we can do it again if only to see whether people have tightened their belts since the recession.
I have a strict budget for all expenses on everything, and this year I have allocated £450, and so far spent £810 LOL

Hi Guys, Suppose the good thing about this hobby is that you can have huge amounts of fun for not very much outlay.
So many other hobby/ sports cost a fortune just to take part.

A new racing bike and all the essential bits cost me £3000 plus. Wheras I've probably spent a small amount of hundreds on modelling

ernie

These are very fascinating responses please keep them coming! Also sorry Tim i didn't relize and budgets never really go to plan for me neither so i tend to ignore them LOL.

Suppose if you worked in a model shop you could volunteer to test flight all the planes and then you get free flying hours in on an expensive plane, i might just work for a model shop when I'm older!!

Tom

True Id probably have an online business and then have the last standing model shop of its time LOL, that could fun but probably not very profitable.

Tom

All depends on how many times I crash!

Take golf, say £400 for a set of clubs, £15-£40 for a round, clothes, balls etc. I think our hobby is pretty cheap in relative terms.

And we don't have to go looking in the rough for our models, well not very often

Rich

What goes around comes around! I posted that original "sell my stuff" months ago on a different thread! ( it was true....a friend said he had put it in his will! )

I reckon to have only spent about 16 pounds plus club & BMFA fees last year! 2 gallons of Southern Modelcraft straight castor fuel came to 16 pounds. Enough for flying at least 3 flights most weeks, sometimes 10 flights a week. Once you have the gear that's all you need.

Christmas, bah humbug!

Too Much!

I'm attempting to master the black art or rotary flight so most of what I'm spending at the moment is on spares and repairs. The thing that annoys the most is the postage and packaging! I have a couple of local(ish) model shops - about a 80 mile round trip - so it is my only real option, also they don't carry the spares i need in stock most of the time!

Still it keeps me (in)sane so I figure it is a small price to pay.