How much do you spend on the hobby per year?

Tom T

:L I like the comment Tim! LOL I hope that in the coming years it will be less expensive as i have now got the gear. Im hoping to buy a Warbird for next years warbirds day and a MX2 if i can afford it (next year) LOL! Does anyone no of an easy but good looking warbird like a tiger moth?

Thanx

Tom

Advert

Amazingly my spending this year has come to £0! due to the weather and exams I haven't had much of a chance to fly/crash things yet. Although when exams are over I hope to purchase a Phase 3 U2 and a ST Models Blaze, which should push my spending up to about £250

That sounds good James ill be in your situation next year with all the exams ! I have an idea for covering up ow much you have spent, if you have a child (i don't unfortunately if i had that would be worrying at my age) and they are interested in the hobby claim that they want all these models and that you hate to see them upset ! Your wife will then think you are a good person for carrying about your child and plus you get away with it ! Thats my theory, anybody else got an idea?

Talking of money, does anyone know where a 14 going on 15 year old can make money?

Happy flying!

Tom.

As I,m an OAP with children and grandchildren, my spend could be around £180 so far this year. I get along with 2nd hand stuff etc, and buiding from plans. On stop at the moment ,can't afford the covering for my winter build, but I love this hobby. Cheers

The exams haven't been too bad really, only have 6 left now. Also once they are over you have 2 months or so of free time in which I hope to try and build a simple plan from the Parkjets website and I've been funding my flying with a simple paper round for the past 2 and a bit years which I've found to provide more than enough for my needs

Edited By James E on 01/06/2011 14:31:52

Hmm

Like most people it is difficult to be precise, even the year cut off is difficult. I do know what I have recently built and spent from around about this time last year.

GWS Texan £25 + approx £50 misc. Rx, Lipo, servos, motor= £70
GC Extra or edge £13 + £30 misc = £43
Cloud Models Komet £45 + £50 = £95
TA 152 H = £10 airframe + £40 misc = £50
Mini Nobbler £10 + £40 = £50
then about 6*£20 Mail order =£120

So that is a total of £423, which is about +£300 more than I thought, that is without all the things I do not remember that clearly, such as new airbrush, plywood from Blackburn Models, paints etc.

So the real total could be double or just a bit more.

James,

I have thought of that before and went to my local shop but they don't do it at my local shop.
Good luck with the rest of your exams and hope you Parkjet plan build goes well!

Rrfolg,

That doesn't sound to bad compare some people! Do you buy brand new? Because i know alot of people that buy from events and swap meets.

Happy flying

Tom

If Rrfolg is me, I always buy new

I fly electric, and guess the costs are very much lower than IC, particularly with motors, servos and Lipo's. Partly down to the smaller size, lack of vibration, no gunge fowling things up.

I think the other thing I do, is I do buy special offers, both my Dornier and Texan were discounted by BRC at the Harrogate show, although both were available on their website at the same price, at one time or the other, the Do, post payed.

I know the Texan was £25 and think the Do was about £45.

I personally am not particularly looking for zero cost, but see low cost as a way to part of being able to enjoy modelling. If I payed +£200 for a model, it would detract from the lack of worry about he inevitable crash.

I also follow Ian Jones concept and discipline and limit any monthly purchases to about £20-50, unless there is a good reason.

i spend about 700-1000 pounds and at only 17 myself i find i hard to come about money, but i looked around and found a job that suits my skills.Tom (is rc mad) if all else fails go to a super market u might get it lucky Hmm after re-reading this post i might start cutting my spending and put some of it towards uni

Erfolg,

Sorry for spelling your name wrong and great planes they look good. I agree that IC Models are always more grease but yet i love the fact of having to fuel it up and having the smell of the fuel and smoke. (mmmmmm LOL)

Thomas,

Wow thats alot but you can't put a price on the enjoyment you are getting out of it! Ive sent you a PM asking a few questions

Happy flying

Tom

To the guys who manage on a £30 or so a month budget, good for you. Really.

I told myself that I was going back to the cheap stuff. I've had more flying hours on a £20 GWS Formosa than on anything else. Unfortunately, I've not been able to follow that rule though and constantly hanker after £200 plus setups.

Although someone said that it was a cheap hobby, it's actually very far from cheap. Work out how much a model cost and divide it by the actual 'in the air' flying time and then compare it with other ways to spend the cash. For example, my Blockbuster online rental for £15 or so per month gives me dozens of hours of pleasure for both me and the wife. Literally. For fifteen quid !

When I think that the servos for my latest model cost more than £60, it doesn't look like good value at all and I actually feel quite guilty about it.

Posted by Tom is RC mad! on 01/06/2011 14:23:00:

Talking of money, does anyone know where a 14 going on 15 year old can make money?

Happy flying!

Tom.

When I was your age paper rounds were the usual way of earning some extra cash. Not sure anybody bothers delivering papers now - at least not around here.

When I was a couple of years older I had a Summer job, followed by Saturdays for the remainder of the year working in a model shop. And no - as previously suggested, we didn't get any freebies to test fly! We did get a decent staff discount though.

Hi John

Thanx for the advise and ideas! Do you think i could work in a model shop at 14 as just an assistant or just the guy that moves stock around the shop. I have tried the paper round a few months ago but unfortunately they don't do it in my local shop Do you think it would be worth asking a model shop or my local shop if they are looking for someone that will work for quite a low wage?

Happy flying

Tom

Well folks, I don't know what's coming next here in Portugal with the "bail out" but since Janury the Gov. takes off, each month, 350 Euros from my salary after taxes! (I'm a top senior engineer in the company at 1 year to retirement - imagine what happens to the others at lower places!)

So the 600 Euros that I had as my annual budget - including club and national association fees (150 E) must decrease.

However, as I build from plans and own designs my spents are more with balsa, spruce, glues and covering because I've all the hardwear needed.

Cheers,

Augusto

Thanx John and thanx BEB ill have to find my nearest one as my nearest nearest one is Masons models and they are really 'stuck up' in there LOL!

If not ill just work in my local shop in the 6 weeks for a few hours, i have someone going to help me set up my own model shop online in the next few weeks, which i can't wait for! Hes very successful so i hope we have the same results with mine :L *fingers crossed*

Thanx again

Tom

You won't get a job in the local modelshop if they know you are going to set up an online model shop!
Be very wary of anyone who offers to help you like that, make sure everything is 'above board' and not a cover for someone else's illegal activity!   Don't trust anyone you meet online not even us aeromodellers.

Edited By kc on 02/06/2011 11:12:15

Thanx Kc for the advise! I know this person personally, hes a friends and i might wait until i'm older anyway to start my own hobby shop. That would be my dream job, or even to work for someone in there hobby shop but i heard that working for someone in their hobby shop doesn't give too greater pay not unless you are well promoted. I think what ill do is wait and see what happens in the future. If anyone owns a model shop or knows a person that works in a model shop that needs some help online and is willing to have a 14 year old working on very low pay then please may you let me know.

Happy flying

Thanx

Tom