Doping Solartex

I've just finished covering a wing in solartex and non shrinking dope. Reason was simply to fill the weave ready for painting. It took 3 good coats of 50/50 mix dope/thinners to do it but the finish is like glass after rubbing down. Lots of hard work and a week to do but worrth it i'd say.

I've found it difficult to get (homemade) transfers to adhere properly to uncoated Solatex. Also there is some paint creep under masking tape with the weave. I use Clearcoat to overcome these problems, the use of which is a pity when building vintage models as it reduces the vintage effect.

If a model is large enough to carry the extra weight, Solartex or Glosstex adds a great deal of strength to the structure.

Yes I know you can use a sock in fact it's virtually mandatory I was just pointing out that the surface will burn, personally I wouldn't use it again just for the weight and cost issues Profilm under it's many different trade names gives a far better gloss finish is less weighty and more durable.

Edited By Ultymate on 12/06/2011 09:20:22