Totally Gutted!!

JayCee

Yes,
Totally Gutted!!
My pride and joy, SebArt 'Shark' that I thought long and hard about before buying, £185.00 just for a trainer! a lot of hard earned money.

But it was fantastic, not just a trainer, it could and would do everything!

But after only 6 flights it is no more! Flying like a dream......and then....nothing!
No power, no control, all I could do was watch as it glided gracefully from about 100 feet. At first it didn't look to badly damaged, but on closer inspection at home it's pretty bad. Anyone that knows the 'Shark' will know it's not the easiest plane to work on, I'm not sure it could ever been repaired successfully.

And this is what caused it:-

How did that happen!! Well on doing a few mock ups it looks like that the lead shown burnt out above was rubbing on the side of the 'Out-runner motor' where I guess the friction gradually started to wear through the wire. Again a guess, but I assume as soon as the wire was worn away enough the amount of current drawn just did the rest.

Going down the pub to get drunk!!

JC

JC, sorry to hear of the loss! Adleast it is an excuse to buy another and drinking in a pub isn't the way to solve your sadness, try drinking and raving in a nightclub and then stumbling back through the door at 2:00am. I've been told it solves the problem for a while, until you sober up again, so best bet just get drunk on searching for a new plane

Tom

Thanks Guys

Gone ages without any major damage, and then 2 in a month, a lovely 'Spit' bit the dust when for no apparent reason the Elevator servo just decided to stop working and then this!

Golf tomorrow..........bet I come last!!

JC

It happens like that - you go ages and no serious losses - then you get a whole bunch of them! There is nothing else for it really - just got to get your head down, believe it will pass and carry on

Pity though, pretty model the SebArt Shark - pricey too! - but as you say the structure is very complex it always seems like a large matrix of holes connected together by thin strips of lite-ply to me!

BEB

BEB

Yes you are right, I have done some pretty complex rebuilds in the past but when these collapse they really go!

I just have the feeling I could spend weeks trying to rebuild it but it would never fly the same you just can't keep the weight down with all the repair work!

I have plenty of other planes to fly, but although I only flew the 'Shark' a few times I knew immediately it was a bit special, a trainer, maybe, but not like any other trainer I've flown.

JC

J.C. Sorry for your loss, but, and you're probably not going to thank me for saying it, your problem was to a degree self inflicted. I see from your profile that you're a retired electrician who above all should know that letting your wiring come in contact with rotating mechanical objects is in the fullness of time going to let the magic smoke out. Bend down and kick your own backside and get back on the horse. Hope the golf's going better

Posted by Ultymate on 03/07/2011 11:09:11:
Bend down and kick your own backside and get back on the horse.

JC, do let me know when you're going to follow Ultymate's advice - I'll come along and watch!