Panther Trainer Autogyro

Richard Harris

Cheers Kev,
Have taken a good look over it and the fuselage can be repaired but it would just be quicker to make a new one. Taiplane,UC,mast ,cowl and blades are all unmarked so I will get on it and make up a new fuselage.

Here is a short video of Old Warden taken Sunday, autogyros, CL, pipe laggers and a full size which came in (not sure what it is though?)

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 24/10/2011 15:29:02

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Andy,

Well I thought it would be quicker to build a new onesmile p but I have found it hard work building a second but I am nearly done!

It has given me the chance to improve on things a bit, a few extra formers here and there and some ideas from others. Just need to fit the canopy/ pilot and cover the spats and I am ready for a maiden. Then I will put it to one side so it doesnt get bumpedwink 2

It has been a huge effort to get motivation.

A BIG thanks to Tim Calvert for supplying the decals thumbs up, makes my home made ones look a little poor to say the leastembarrassed

Will post a few photos if it goes ok. Now you watch the weather change!!

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 29/03/2012 16:37:00

• 2 months later...

Due to the rubbish weather I have finally completed the new model, I have added some finishing touches to try and make it a bit smarter.

Made up a couple of dummy cylinders from depron and tidied up around the canopy and push rod exit points. Wider UC has been added along with some carved wooden spats.

I took it out this evening and I was shaking at the sticks! I just didnt want to bump it but it did fly fine.

No Weston park for me this weekend so managed to do a few jobs around the house and has given me the Brownie points needed for next weekendthumbs up

Will bring my new Panther alongsmile

img_0240.jpg

img_0253.jpg

img_0297.jpg

img_0292.jpg

img_0236.jpg

img_0234.jpg

img_0233.jpg

img_0232.jpg

img_0231.jpg

Made a short video and will upload tomorrow.

Chuffed to bits

Rich

Rich the Dummy engine heads are sharp, On the first picture I thought you went to a nitro engine instead of electric.face 3 Nice clean lines I repaired mine and just have to touch up the coveringface 4 will soon be back in the air. I am going to pie plate under the triangle plate to try and keep the blades from another tail strike on those less than perfect landings.face 19

Bill

Bill,

The dummy cylinders are really simple to make and weigh virtually nothing, get that Panther back in the air!

Tom,

Didn't realise it was an Irvine spinner, I think I borrowed it of my dad! will keep an eye out for some more as they are good.

Simon,

Thanks for the kind remarks.

I managed to drag Debs out with my new camera, its a bit shaky but then so was I on the sticks!

She had a quiet word in my ear and said the prop didn't look right and that black would be better suited embarrassed

Here is the short video.

Rich

Tom,

It is infact a little heavier than the first one (which has nearly been repaired after a bit of energy!).

The prop is a 13 x 4 and the normal 3 s Lipo I use just didnt give it enough power to be safe so it has a heavier 4s Lipo fitted. I need to play around with props so I can use the lighter 3s pack. It flies fine as it is in the video but back the power off whilst flying slow and it drops a little quicker than normal. I sure sign of a higher disc loading. You can feel it more than you can see it if you know what I mean?

Rich

I quick flight before the storm, Learning a bit more each day about selecting a motor, esc and prop.

Bill

Edited By BILL PETTIT on 25/06/2012 20:55:18

Edited By BILL PETTIT on 25/06/2012 20:57:42

Bill,

You can use a smaller prop, but you would need to increase the pitch to get the amp draw up. It's a bit of a trade off between thrust and speed. Have you put a watt meter on that set up to see what amps you are drawing? It really is the only way to fine tune an electric set up.

If you are struggling for ground clearance, you could always try a 3 blade prop.

Very impressed with the flying, you must be good at judging the distances, or is that the trick of the camera making the model look very close to those trees at times?

Cheers,

Simon

Bill,

You are getting more and more relaxed with your Panther which is great to see. You have got more than enough power by the looks of things, have you tried propping down to something like a 13" x 8 ? this would reduce your current consumption but its whether the thrust will still be there.

Mine is running a 13" x 4 but I am using a 4s 3000mah pack, I have plenty of power to hand to get out of those 'sticky' moments.

I flew mine in wind for the first time last weekend at this forums annual Fly-In, I was really nervous and my thumbs were shaking. But it seemed to handle the wind pretty good and after the first flight I felt confident that it would be fine. I ended up having quite a few flights over the duration despite the down pours.

Glad to see we aren't the only ones with dark clouds at the moment!

I have nearly finished repairing the prototype which is now yellow in colour, my new pusher is all but completed. We have got our Autogyro Fly-In this coming weekend so I am hoping the weather will be a little kinder so I can maiden them both.

The repaired version is a little lighter than the orange one as I have omitted the wheel spats (or pants as you boys call them). Also made up a mould and shrunk a 3 litre cider bottle over it with my wall paper stripper to create a lighter cowl.

img_0238.jpg

Rich

Rich: I was so pumped with the way my Panther flew that I sat down and poured over lots of different motors props and ESC's and ordered this set up.

Emax motor BL 3526/04

HURC 80amp OPTO ESC

12x8E props

BUT!!!face 8 I put one too many flights on her and she wound up back in the deep grass and clipped the tail,AGAINface 19 and this time there is nothing left to glue to.face 14 I think the only option it to cut off the ass end and build a new one.face 5 Well I have a motor set up coming and nothing to put it on. But I'll find something soon.face 23

Bill

• 5 months later...