Panther Trainer Autogyro

Richard Harris

Not read the whole thread but very tempted to fly a Autogyro seems easy on Phoenix but I am a heli flyer too, and with regards to putting holes in the blades to balance them why? Just simply add small strips of tape or even nice hologram stickers which shine up nice in the sun (if we get any that is !)frown to the heavier blades !

Edited By Delta Whiskey on 31/01/2013 11:24:49

Rich,

My RCM&E arrived today and the Panther article is really great, a very detailed account of the build - you have put in a tremendous amount of work into designing, testing and getting the plan published - all credit to you and to the Team at RCM&E for great piece of work

Malcolm

PS

Having now read it multiple times, can I point out a small discrepancy. In the write up you talk about the head support brackets (Tongues) on the mast being made from Birch Ply due to the loads encountered, however the Plan labels them as Liteply - oops! (or is this the same thing?)

Malcolm

Malcolm,

Many thanks,

As you are well aware I have built 2 Panthers. The first one used Lite Ply tongues and the plan submitted was based on that, move on 8 months and I then did the write up based on the modified second model. This uses birch ply for the stated parts and to be fair either has proved to work well, but my engineering head will side with the birch ply.

But...this is no excuse as I tripple checked the plan to the write up so have to hold my hands up and appologise, thanks for the heads upthumbs up

Have not seen the print as yet but will hopefully get down to WHSmiths this weekend.

I hope you have a crack at it?

Rich

Rich,

Its a fact of life! I've been writing, proof-reading and presenting for over 20 years and I know that you always read what you thought you wrote, and proof readers can read what you intended to write. As soon as you publish someone will find something.

I'm definately going to have a go! I've followed the thread intently and was very impressed when I first saw yours flying at the Walsall meeting a while back, whilst I was flying a first generation crane Fly.

Since then I've kind of had a heads up on progress as I've jealously watched Tim fly his week after week at our club. So I'm fully prepared and fully stocked with motor, ESC, gearboxes, undercarriage, Fibreglass, covering and piles of wood. Hope to have it completed within the week all being well,

Malcolm

Hi Dave,

I get mine from my local model shop, it is stocked by McGregor. A quick search on flea bay reveals this which is perfect for the triangular flexible plate. 1.5mm/1.6mm or 1/16" thick works fine.

FIBRE GLASS SHEET

Another source is the stuff used for printed circuit boards, available at places like Maplins electronics. It comes with a copper coating but this does not effect what we will be using it for, infact it makes the marking out a little easier.

Have fun and be sure to post photos as you go along.

Rich

I have looked at the area for the Lipo.

I can just fit a 2200 lipo horizontally. I am now assuming that the intention is to insert the Lipo at an angle, then support it with both a protective and supporting expanded polystyrene packing. One of my Lipos would not fit, allthough an oddball size (wrapper).

I guess it may be possible to adjust the position of the firewall with some motors to create more usable space for a Lipo?

Wow Richard,

This build is easily the most inspiring and informative RC article i have ever read.

I learnt more here than all my RC books and mags combind about various building techniques. And what a brilliant subject.

If you ever decide to do similar with a catalina I will be 1st in line at the viewing table

Rob,

I believe that CNC part kits will be available soon which will certainly make things a little easier for those who are in the same boat as yourself.

Carl,

Mine flies with a 3000mah 4 cell Lipo and this just fits in diagonally, absolutely no reason why the nose could not be extended to suit. The thing that is important is the relationship between the rotor spindle centre line and the CG position shown on the plan. This CG is not the 'normal' way it is done in rotational circles (no pun intended!) , the 'hang angle' is generally the way it is undertaken. This is I believe can be a very hard thing to measure which is the reason why I went down the fixed wing route, plus it is more accurate and takes a lot of the guess work out of the equation.

But this will be covered in the next issue I believe.

FlyOz,

Catalina!!...isn't that one of those fixed wing things! disgust

Rich

Erfolg,

I can get a 3850mAh battery in the bay when at an angle

img_0654.jpg

However I prefer to have my batteries flat and strapped in, so i have enlarged the ventilation hole to allow this.

Doing this I can fit a 5000mAh 4S easily with it only projecting a little through the firewall. I suspect a 5000 would be too heavy so will stick to 3000 initially.

img_0655.jpg

I am going to fix a nylon strap across the front to stop the battery moving too far forward should the velcro straps fail, or in the event of a heavy arrival.

Malcolm

I did assume that the Lipo had to go in at an angle, although there is little space left for protective polystyrene packing, Although I may be the only person to provide protection to the Lipo.

The modification by Malcolm, seems to be a worthwhile modification, that is making an aperture for the Lipo in the firewall.