Panther Trainer Autogyro

Richard Harris

Yes a brass tube works well, but I did leave it off the finished model as I had a thought that some builders may well still be using 35mhz and metal to metal joints can cause interference.

I have been pondering the lower battery position over the last few days and think it may well lower the CG positoin, this may upset the stated set up. I am not 100% sure of this and will have to test the set up myself, my gut instinct tells me that the pitch may become sensitive.

What we have to remember is that the downthrust of the motor is set to 6 degrees for a reason and that is so that the thrustline passes above the CG position to keep the nose down. Alter this position and may well have an effect. I did however extend the blade length by 20mm to that of the prototype to compensate and give a little more tolerance.

I will get back on this one, need to get my model back as those Ashers have it still!!

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 14/02/2013 22:18:10

Advert

Malcolm . I see what you mean alot simpler and easier to cut more accuate, I've already made mine but will remember if I build another.

RActive. The head bearing unit can be any shape you fancy, Heres a photo of one I made earlier for a twin rotor gyro based on a Focke Achgelis FA61 1930s German helicopter ( should of done a build blog)Bearing Head

The Bearings are model car wheel bearings from LMS or from Model Fixings .co.uk for this unit they are 5mm id: 11mm od: 4mm d. The prop adapter was 4mm but tapped out to 5mm to fit the 5mm threaded shaft the grub screws add belt and braces.

Hope this is useful if you want a drawing let me know.

Regards Stephen

Edited By Stephen F on 14/02/2013 22:29:06

Edited By Stephen F on 14/02/2013 22:33:08

Stephen,

The mark shown on the plan is infact it's balance point horizontally and not its true 3 dimensional CG , this true CG position can alter from one model to another depending on a lot of things. This was taken into consideration when designing and the reason for the 'built in' down thrust.

Your thinking is correct regarding reducing the down thrust to compensate but lowering the CG can, in some circumstances bring the vertical thrustline of the rotor a bit too close for comfort when it is tilted rearwards.

I have tested the Panther really hard over 12 months or so, different blade configurations, power plants, props, thrustlines, electrics etc....the one thing I haven't tested and didn't even think about was lowering the CG by moving the battery downwards.

It will most probably be absolutely fine and I am more than likely worrying about nothing! I would just like to know for certain before anyone commits to flight.

autogyro vector jpg.jpg

Rich

Posted by Richard Harris on 13/02/2013 15:55:25:

BigT,

Mixing opposite roll with rudder is something I wouldn't recommend for someone who is starting out. Take for instance...the model is on it's take off run and starts turning to the left, instinct is to apply right rudder. With the mix suggested this would add left roll and would almost certainly roll the model over, more so if the rotors weren't up to auto rotational speed.

It is just better I think to have a model that is trimmed true rather than compensating with mix functions.

Yes Rich I agree it could cause a problem, I have my mix switchable so I can have it on when in the air and off when taking off or landing. It's just something I used to do on big prop warbirds and scale airobats like the CAP. Now I use a heading hold gyro on the rudder. Cheating really! I agree with Rich E though, Gyro's do make you a better pilot.

Well the sun appeared this afternoon so it had to be time for a bit of Panther Play!!

Just a note for anyone thinking of going down the (properdevil) suck-squeeze-bang-blow route......depending upon the weight of your lump you may have to add a hatch to the underside just behind F4 to put your receiver and battery behind the mast for correct weight distribution. I also made F7 full fuz depth to complete this compartment.
panther hatch.jpg
Cheers
Rich

I'm making the cowl now, not done this before so its all guesswork!

I made a dummy ply ring and used this as a target help position the balsa blocks. I think the David plane and permagrit are going to be working overtime tonight

img_0672.jpg

img_0673.jpg

img_0674.jpg

I covered the back of the dummy ply ring polythene just in case any glue decided to wander.

In the week I managed a bit of balsa bending as well which worked a treat

img_0671.jpg

soaked in warm water for about 6 hrs (I forgot about it) then dried around a wine bottle for a day or so. The soft 3mm balsa could be amost folded in half when soaked, but dried out to hold a the perfect curve for the decking

Malcolm

Well, having just enjoyed a bottle of Jurancon with some ricotta and cinnamon pancakes, I would recommend one of thosethumbs up

Thanks for posting that, Malcolm. I haven't had the pleasure of forming 3mm balsa before, so I shall use that method when I reach the decking - still at the tail end this evening!

Pete

Pete,

I havent got a photo of how I did the rear decking, but as you know this changes curature from the mast to the rear.

The bottle of wine is fine for near the mast, I then put 2" cardboard postal tube over the neck of the bottle for the narrower section and banded the balsa around this as well, the unsupported bit between the bottle and the tube just needed a wrap of masking tape to stop it bowing out.

Note that the kitchen paper towel against the bottle is important, otherwise the balsa just doesnt dry where it contacts the glass, needs the towel to wick the water away to evaporate

Not sure i've explained that well,

Malcolm

No, that's quite clear, Malcolm, thanks.

On the decking between F4 and F9 I was planning to do it it 2 pieces, as RH suggests, but I'd make a card template to gauge the narrowing and possibly kerf the underside of the sheeting if the radius is tight.

I'll give your method a try.......smile

Pete

Pete,

When doing my decking I applied one side and overlapped the top centre line by 10mm or so, then using a straight edge and a new blade in the trusty scaple cut along the centre and broke away the remaining over hang.

The second piece was then applied but only glued along its bottom face to start with so that it could be moved about, its top was wrapped over the first peice and marked and cut to suit it. Then just a simple task of gluing it into its final resting place.

On my second model I made a mistake and left the second piece too short, no hardship as it was easy to over come with an infill piece in the gap.

Hi Terry,

As long as the blades are fitted and spread roughly 120 degrees apart, this should be fine.

Regarding the CG location, one idea that has been sent to me is to glue a couple of servo brass eyelets in the correct position. A piece of string or wire can then be used to suspend it, leaving your hands to move things about inside if need be.

panther cg.jpg

Rich