Panther Trainer Autogyro

Richard Harris

Rich you can have the head start, but my Panther weight is over 4Ibs2oz without fuel!

Me thinks that's not good.no What do you chaps think?

Now I can't tell you my secrets, (well not yet) I'm not a panel beater, more an egg beater! LOL You chaps guess. Clue.. how are model cars painted?

The engine is out to investigate why she won't run. The engine went into the mud when I crashed last time so I decided to strip her down to washout. I forgot to fit the backplate screws tight so that is why she would not run! blush Also I think it best if I can fit a pressure tapping to the exhaust. So where is my scrap engines box?

Sorry Gav can't answer your question, but look in Q&EFlight and I think its soon! Do you know more Rich (Harris)?

Regards

Andy

Thanks Andy & Dave

Trying to find a copy of Q&EFlight in my surrounding news agents is like looking for unicorns, and always two months behind.

Fortunately Santa renewed my RCME subscription for Xmas, so I am guranteed to not to miss an issue.

"Coming soon...." does mean in the next 012 months, right David?

Andy, I am going to take a stab and say, vac formed cowl, painted with chrome lexan paint, possibly from the inside to get that perfect reflective finish. Am I anywhere close?

Andy,

Any chance you have got the original silencer for your engine? it will rev better through the entire throttle range where you will need it most rather than at full RPM? But it does look good!wink 2

I am presuming it is the same motor that was fitted to your Kellet trainer?

Wrong mag! (shame on you!!)

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 27/12/2012 21:53:10

Posted by Richard Harris on 27/12/2012 21:51:26:

Andy,

Any chance you have got the original silencer for your engine? it will rev better through the entire throttle range where you will need it most rather than at full RPM? But it does look good!

I am presuming it is the same motor that was fitted to your Kellet trainer?

Wrong mag! (shame on you!!)

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 27/12/2012 21:53:10

Yes shame on me. Dave won't speek to me now.blush

The engine was from my PT25. The ASP36. I will look for a smaller unit in my scrap box.

Efrolg,

Perhaps my thinking of the Panther has been wrong but I wanted it to be suitable for all standard power plants, not everyone is into electrics. So the design has been very specific taking into consideration the CG issues that could possibly arise and the room needed to fit Lipo's or a tank. The only way to achieve this has been to ask others to build the model and mount different power plants to fully test things. And tested they have!! but this has all taken time but I am 100% pleased with the results and feedback these gents have given me, but all will be revealedwink 2

To answer your question about scaling down Panther? it is a simple yes it works and it works very well. My Panther Cub was built last year and has now been sold on, it used a single servo for roll control and an elevator for pitch control. The head was hinged with a single pin hinge and its rearward tilt was built in. It is a very basic form of control and has some draw backs but it worked at this size and pretty well.

panther cub 2.jpg

panther cub 1.jpg

Fund this photo on my computer of one of the gents who has been a guinea pig, Jim from Florida made a super job of his.

jims panther.jpg

Rich

Richard

My main objective in considering the concept of reducing the size, was reading that the model was IC powered by a 40 & then 41/2 pounds.

I was thinking that is a lot of power if electric, possibly needed to lift the weight.

When I saw pictures and a video, it had not dawned on me that it is a big model, I just saw a piece of art.

Yet looking at the model, it does not strike me as being obviously heavy, or that big, then appearances can be deceptive.

At the moment I am awaiting the delivery of a C60 head.

Until the publication of your article,  before the publication I will not be dong anything. As an ideal i will be looking for something that draws 25-300w, using a 3s lipo. Oh, yes using that C60 head.

I am hoping to draw on your experience and any others, both in the build and technical advice.

It could be that  Foamy Dave's model of the Firefly, made from Depron, is not just about one of his preferred materials, more about weight reduction.

Edited By Erfolg on 28/12/2012 23:02:46

Hi Gang

The engine was finally sorted today,

I changed the pipe to a standard exhaust, no change. I found a hole in the fuel tank clunk, in that small diameter fuel pipe. That would account for the engine stopping but she still would not run well. So I tried different fuel, but no change. So a new glow plug and finally it was sorted.

How does it fly. . smileyEngine at 1/2 power and she just lifted off without any trim adjustment ! so I just let her climb. The chaps at the field gave me applause. embarrassed

I have the head dimension at 208mm rather than 205 from the top deck, and it also has a little left roll to the head. I looked at my RPG for a ruff setup before the flight. When I reduced the power I noticed I could have done with more forward stick or perhaps a little more nose weight. The balance point is bit rearward of the mark. So this is of my making. I should have fitted the MG90 rudder servo in the fuel tank bay.

The blades have some negative shim. I have fitted about 0.5 mm, just to help spin-up.

Rich would feel at home with my build as I have flown his and its just the same. Nice and slow, smooth, and well like a pussy cat! Thanks mate.

Andy

Hi Rich

Thanks mate. I might try the pipe exhaust again when I have a few flights under my belt.

See me in the flesh, you say!!! I am not taking my clothes off at the flying field, it's too dam cold.crook

Best Regards

Andy

Edited By Andy Nash on 05/01/2013 22:10:16

Edited By Andy Nash on 05/01/2013 22:10:58

Hi Chaps

So here is the video. Its only 2-3 mins long, and sorry for the quality but the light was very low.

Also thanks to my club Secretary Chris for taking the video.

All the best

Andy

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3R6Wcus1wc"

Still cant get the picture to open!!

This must be an IC web site, as I have had so much trouble that it's on par with an IC engine. LOL

Any ideas??

Edited By Andy Nash on 06/01/2013 20:15:53