Legrand Simon LS60 build blog

IT is very stable. No washout. I ever bother on parallel chord wingss. The wing drop is very gentle and you have be pretty brutal to get it to drop.

A take oiff at half flap and model took off, reared up and stalled. Onle minor damage luckily but it doesn't like flaps at full power.

It might be better with just a smaller amount of flap but quite frankly its normal take off is about five yards without any flap so why bother.

It does nice but very non scale loops and rolls. Landings with oor witout flaps are great. I think it needs less flap at both settings.

I wish that Spektrum allowed one to use infinitely variable flaps like my old Futaba.

Advert

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I have had two lots of proofs for checking. Most the plan in the magazine seems OK now BUT take note.

The holes in the ribs for the 8 SWG wire dowels are way out. The holes on the fuselage rib where the tubes come through are the closest to accurate so, if you are cutting out your own parts make the holes in the ribs to match that. The holes in the ribs should be central to the spars in height and fore and aft.

I have sent the corrections to SLEC who will get the job of cutting parts out.

Quite honestly I wonder how such errors can creep in. I built from a print of the same plan that I sent in and it was accurate.

Posted by Peter Miller on 16/11/2011 18:43:10:
Hi Tim.

Thanks for that.

I am very fond of this model. I am sure that it will be electrified by lots of people. Actaully should make life a bit easier for them.

Just hope people don't get too messed up with the rib holes.

I would think that anyone who builds it, is not going to be the person who would no check as they go, and have a complete picture in their heads as they go along.

The leading edge reminds me of a more modern one I built, the C H 7 0 1.
The CH701 full length flaperons mounted below the wing that also keeps full control down to low speeds.

I used a ramin J section, and filled it with balsa for the leading edge slats.

Just found this, after getting the mag today..

Pete, I don't know you, but we must be on the same wavelength some how.. !!!

I saw a FF Tailwind pic, loved it, and really wanted one, then the NEXT week, the mag comes out with your Tailwind plan...

Now, I've recently found the CH701/750, and here you are again... !!??

Bit spooky.. !! You're not net-stalking me are you.. ??

I've already got plans blown-up for a big CH750, and have just started cutting ribs for a smaller one, BUT, your build has proven useful in respect to bending the wood for the slats..

Regards Pics, give me a minute and i'll get mine up for you..

Luv
Chrisie.. xx

OK..

You ain't gonna like my methods, a bit heath robinson by all accounts, but..

I used Microsoft picture and fax viewer, and set the following zoom setting, before taping greaseproof paper to my PC's LCD Monitor, and tracing it.. !!

The first is a non-scale 3v CH750.. By zooming to 35% for the top view you get a fuse length of 540mm (W/S 728mm). The front n side views need a zoom of 34% to get a 537mm length..

This wing section is pilfered from the 'Design of a STOL' pdf, freely available from the zenithair www..
Enlarged to 92% to give a 105mm chord minus ailerons

The final one is only for consruction reference, i've not used it directly

For the Tail sections I used a pdf of the CH801 component parts, which is actually to scale, and would have made a better base-plan to work from.. It's a 1:40 plan which I zoomed to 375%
I've just had a quick look, but cant find it.. Everything I got was from http://www.zenithair.com/stolch701/7drawings.html plus the other planes and various info...

Soz if it's not up to your usual standards, but hope it helps point you in the right direction...

PM me if you have no joy, and i'll email the pdf...

Luv
Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 22/11/2011 23:42:40

Hi Chrisie.

It doesn't matter how you do things so long as it works for you.

As I said somehwere else on the Forum. I had works drawings of the 701 but can't find them at the moment. However I recently did a model from the same stable

This is the Zenair Super Acro.
The 701 does not really apeal to me and I have several other projects on my list of "To build" models. In fact it grows longer every week.
The slats are fairly heavy and on your smaller version you could leave out the 1/64" ply lamination if you wanted to. Main reason for that was to get a good sharp knife edge at the trailing edge of the slat.

Cutting nice clean holes in any soft material is easy, I use diamond coated hole saws which are dirt cheap on Ebay, they go through Depron, Balsa or anything else without tearing or ripping grain out, when they get bunged up you just burn off the residue and wire brush the stuff off.
Diamond hole saws for tiles and other ceramics start at around 2mm up to 60mm and a set of six 2mm to 10mm will cost about four quid and last a lifetime.

• 10 months later...