Where is everybody?

At our club, it's noticeable that attendance is down this year.

It's possible, I suppose, that the committee have driven everyone away with unreasonable demands, unfriendly attitudes and unfair rules but I sincerely (as current chairman) hope this isn't the case and as far as I'm aware, those who turn up are always met with a warm welcome.

First off, is this a trend or are we unlucky? (some might think we're lucky never having to queue for a slot!)

If so, what's the cause? Is it the state of the economy, a reflection on the almost constant high winds we seem to have had for the last couple of years or maybe ARTFs making the sport too easy to participate in without the level of long term commitment that builders seem to develop? Perhaps all of these to some degree?

What I have noticed is that those who turn up week in week out are, in the main, "traditional" modellers who build (although most of us also fly ARTFs as well).

We organised a friendly competition for last Saturday lunchtime in an attempt to bolster enthusiasm and we did see a small increase in numbers over recent weeks - but this was the best Saturday in ages and in years gone by we'd have expected to have to fight for a place in the car park - let alone the flight line!

Advert

Interesting question.

From my own club's perspective I'm not really qualified to comment on weekend attendances as due to my lad's sporting commitments I don't get much opportunity for Sat/Sun flying.

Not certain that the poor economic situation contributes. Sure, that may stop you shelling out on a new kit or artf but provided you can afford glow fuel, and to run the car to the patch and back, then surely that's all it takes to keep flying.

However, its interesting that you think the "trad" builders are the ones who are predominantly keeping going. That might suggest that the "artf only" brigade are more interested in buying the next box than in sticking with a model for a season and improving a particular skill?

From a different perspective, I was a member of the Flying Druids Club in Wiltshire, until my job moved me to the USA for a few years. A fanastic club with a great grass strip; I quite liked the fact that it was uncrowded.

Here in the US, Most saturdays we have between 5-12 pilots flying. you can only fly until about 11 am, after that its too damn hot. Last weekedn we had about 5-6 planes in the air most of the time. The club is very heathly and good fun. It has about 32 members although its usually the same 5-7 that always fly.

What concerns me is that in both clubs I was one of the youngest at 38.

Funningly, it is this 'hardcore' of 5-7 that are mostly trad builders, flying kit build aircraft and a few ARTFS.

I will be interested in the current price of glow fuel in the UK (just to pre warn me before i come home). Over here not many people fly electric, less the few small foamy toy type planes, most are IC flyers and many are now converting to petrol to save money. I've just sold my only petrol EDGE 540, and suspect with UK fuel prices this is just as expensive as glow. I currently fly 4 strokes or electric.

I get the impression that club dynamics or politics has a lot to do with how many people turn up at the field.

When the atmosphere is relaxed and easy going, the marginal attendees will be there, but as soon as there is any cliquishness, those who don't want to decide which group to support, tend to have other things to do with higher priorities.

Organised events at the field seem to repair the situation for a while.

I rarely see anyone at the field, as I get there ready for the light, most others fly IC so they can't fly at that time. By the time any of them have arrived, I have had a good few hours flying and packed up.

For the next two months, I will not be able to fly, but the reason has nothing to do with the club or flying.

I'm sure the spell will pass, and people will be back.

From my own point of view there are two big reasons for not flying (electric, not slope) at my club so much this year.

The state of the weather, or rather the apparent inaccuracy of weather forecasting.

I have a 56 mile round trip to make. A number of times I have checked the weather forecast in the morning (for the area of the club) and it shows 6-8 mph wind. When I get to the field it is about 12 gusting to 15.
On one particular day the forecasts were all showing sun and cloud, no rain at all, but I spent a couple of hours at the field waiting for the rain to stop then gave up.

The other reason, which is connected to the first, is the price of petrol.

Posted by Richard Bond on 08/07/2011 07:14:58:
From my own point of view there are two big reasons for not flying (electric, not slope) at my club so much this year.

The state of the weather, or rather the apparent inaccuracy of weather forecasting.

I have a 56 mile round trip to make. A number of times I have checked the weather forecast in the morning (for the area of the club) and it shows 6-8 mph wind. When I get to the field it is about 12 gusting to 15.
On one particular day the forecasts were all showing sun and cloud, no rain at all, but I spent a couple of hours at the field waiting for the rain to stop then gave up.

The other reason, which is connected to the first, is the price of petrol.

I agree, my latest trip (Tuesday) forecast was for 7mph winds, at the site almost 20mph and as others have said its nearly always the same few members that turn up and yes they do seem to be the people who build their own. If I can fly then a gallon or two of petrol is acceptable price to pay otherwise its a pure waste

Our club numbers seem healthier than they have been for long while, and I often see new faces at the strip when I attend. Unlike others comments, I have to say that the "hardcore" member / flyers are not trad builder types, many of them fly competitively, so are keen to get in as much practice as they can - and they fly mostly large ARTF type models. They also live local to the field - I have a round trip of about 26 miles, and TBH, the slope is a little closer for me.
There are indeed a few regulars who are trad builders - and damn fine ones too, but they tend to be retired, and often attend during weekdays, when I suspect our field gets as much use, if not more, than a weekend!
As has been said, I think a lot is to do with the distance / petrol prices, and poor weather.
One of our members has a 110 mile round trip !

It has been mentioned above but the wind always seems to be blowing these days. I remember days or a couple of weeks at a time when there was no wind at all. I don't know what the average has been for the last couple of years but it does seem to be a lot higher than normal.
So no wind when I could slope soar and now I fly IC (no slopes here) it's too windy. Maybe someones trying to tell me something

Posted by Martin Harris on 08/07/2011 13:41:45:
Round trip! Pah! He's a local...

One of ours used to commute to our club in Hertfordshire from Telford (123 miles each way) at least twice a week...tried a couple of local clubs after he moved but couldn't tear himself away. He did move back eventually.

His firm pays for his fuel for private use though.

Until 4 years ago I travelled 158 miles round trip from Talerddig in Mid Wales to my club nr Stafford, I still go but now I live nearer it's only 126 miles!! and I buy my own fuel.
Re' weather forecasts, ACCUWEATHER is by far the most accurate, updated EVERY hour for every spot on the planet and it gives every possible weather parameter you can imagine.

Edited By Keith Lowe on 08/07/2011 14:56:52

Posted by Martin Harris on 08/07/2011 13:44:12:
Andy,

Funnily enough I read an article in the paper last week that said that average wind speeds have been dropping over the last couple of years. I must say that I found it very hard to believe, based on my own experience.

I agree

Isn't it all to do with the polar jetstream dropping south and passing over the UK? This naturally wavers around, so we'll get good years and bad ones, but I certainly think we've had more than our fair share of unseasonal high winds in recent years

The wind here is extreme, normally 20+mph and its hot, like standing inside a hairdryer, buts thats the south mid states deserts for you. I also use accuweather and tend to find that dawn is the best (and in many cases only) timne to fly.

Interesting comments about the 'feel' of the club been a factor. When I started out at clubs, the first few put me off; overly restrictive rules, an inner circle of committee members and limited flying times. I finally settled on a club that has minimal committee emphasis, has anyday flying and intellengently applies BFMA rules without been too restrictive or dogmatic. Again, this means that people travel many miles to be at a 'good' club.

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 08/07/2011 18:23:27:
The government has arranged for all this wind in order to make it look as if all our tax money is being usefully employed in building all theses white elephant wind turbines.

I wonder when the public will realise that the things attached to the blades are effectively big electric motors connected by big fat cables to the National Grid. It's funny how the wind increases when they're whirling round...

Edited By Martin Harris on 08/07/2011 19:04:06

Our attendance has been down over the past year In 2009 the women who owns horses at the bottom of our field complained that our silent gliders were disturbing them, personally we think it was just a spooked horse but that's a different matter . As a result weekday flying was suspended and we lost quite a few members, plus others were scared to fly in case they caused any complaints. Last year I seem to remember only have 3 occasions where more than 2 people showed up

Edited By James E on 08/07/2011 19:06:04

Martin,

Interesting statistic about the average wind speed. I can't believe it either.

Went to the patch yesterday - perfect flying weather and only a couple of people turned up - yet you go when it's really blowing and loads of people turn up but can't fly - strange but true. A couple even said that it's only their second outing this year due to the weather.

Don't tell anyone but I think that the wind turbines are being powered by any excess capacity on the grid to make it look they're actually doing something - hence the wind speed

Most of the posts paint a sorry picture,to come to firm conclusion as to what is actually behind the apparent trend ,would i think need a much more thought.
I am part of a small group ,six in all ,and at least three at a time turn up to the field
and fly at least 3-4 times a week.
One factor i find encourages regular attendance is a constant stream of new ideas ,there is aways a keen interest in new and different models and they don't necessarily have to be hundreds of pounds worth of ARTF stuff .