BMFA classified ads with no pics

Tim Mackey

I often look in on the latest BMFA ads, but am always staggered by the number of people who advertise things with NO picture at all!
Even more bizarrely, some folk do provide pictures of simple things like a servo, or a battery, yet when it comes to actual airframes or transmitters - NOTHING!
I even found a couple of Turbine jet models this evening for sale with not a single picture.
Personally if I see that an ad doesnt carry a picture, I simply ignore it.
Is it me

I told a seller on ebay as much, he was selling plans mostly RCM&E and Nodel World etc and giving the model name which to the most part means nothing, what you want is a picture or illustration of some sort so you know what you are buying.
When I emailed him he said he just didnt have the time to take all the photos, needless to say he didnt sell a lot.

I couldn't agree more, picture, no interest. I've seen engines on ebay as well with no size mentioned.

But it is not limited to models, people advertise property without pictures as well. Total waste.

I guess they are hoping for people desperate to buy the item/property regardless of condition in orer to get their high price, and any picture or accurate description would destroy their hopes.

HANG ON A MINUTE!!!!!!!!!!! some of us dont have a digi camera, and if you go past my adds, you have missed some superb gear, one member on here is tickled pink with his new plane, so dont right us off as stupid, or lazy, some of us just have not invested in techno stuff we dont need, and my phones a MUCH battered nokia 6310, and you know what is does? it takes and recieves calls, like a phone should do, no silly gizmos, i have a film camera, it gives good results, i bought a digi for the hols, only to have the ruddy thing break on me, never again!!!!

I'd hazard a guess that for the most part, where the picture is missing it's a stock item in reasonable nick, as the real jokers seem keen to display the absolute $&!t they are trying to flog - you need only look back at some of the ebay ads that have been highlighted here in the past. Particularly with airframes a picture just tells you the advertiser knows how to display an item - I've had a couple of close calls with models that look fantastic in a picture, but once you get to lay hands on it you realise how much damage can be hidden with a heat gun. As for NIB or 'as new' - that covers multitude of sins.
"as new" - or at least as a new item is after falling out of a 4th story window
NIB - at least the box is new

Even if it is new in the box, a photo could be essential.

If the item was a bar of lux soap, most people would know what it looked like.

Many models I have no idea what they look like. Many other items I am not sure about certain details (carb on front or remote for example) and a photo would show it.

The photo is not only to show the condition, and as stated, may not show hidden defects.

Or maybe the seller expects the buyer to do half their work and search on the net for a photo? Like shops who think they are doing the customer a favour bu opening their doors?

My wife sells quite a bit on ebay, and it has been shown time and time again that effort put into the description and proper photos increases the seling price a huge amount.

Not having a camera is a point, but it is a choice, in the same way as to pass over ads with no photo is a choice. I have bought 6 & 8 megapixel cameras at boot sales for under £10. Probably get the money back with a better price on one item sold.

The last one was a Kodak C623 for £6, and a couple of months ago a Casio for £7.50.

Can't answer about the film, I gave away all my darkroom equipment bout ten years ago, and all my 35mm cameras in the yes since then, quite simply, unless you do it yourself, or can afford a proffesional lab, a very modest digital camera gives better prints up to 10X8, and the DSLRs I can crop and print to A3 with better detail than I could ever get from 35mm, unless using Kodachrome. (or B&W).

Maybe it is worth another try for you, very unlucky to have a digital camera go faulty on you.

Posted by Alan 4 on 18/07/2011 23:14:34:
a digi camera for under a tenner??? SOLD, but what do i do with all the film i have

Just bought two more this moring,an 8.2 megapixel Samsung P800 for £3, and a 6 megapixel Oympus FE-120 for £5,still in the box with all the bits and a 1GB card.

The camera never lies!

Apart from when a dodgy seller posts a picture of something else or uses a misleading photo - the recent LEO 40 sale on Ebay for £200+ is a good example.

I have learned never to buy from EBay unless I go and see the plane first, then pay or pay in cash. EBay seems to have changed from a good place to grab a bargin to an opportunity for people to sell overpriced rubbish, in some instances by misleading buyers.

See here for a really expensive examplem, although not EBay.

• 4 years later...

Ive sold many items on the BMFA website, none with a picture only because Im not overly clever at getting pictures on.Tried once and it said "picture too large" and that was it....I was stumped.Pretty much all I sell is new in box, be it an engine or an artf kit. I can only assume that those who buy my bargains know what a new in box product is so maybe for them a picture is superfluous?.To be honest, those who have asked by email for a photo, have sadly tended to be timewasters.So words only and a fair price have always done it for me.

I'm pretty sure I've bought one of your bargains Gareth, and it did not disappoint. As you say it was bnib, so I wasn't bothered about a pic. I would not buy anything used without a pic as people's descriptions sometimes tend towards the overly positive! Having said that I've bought a lot of good stuff from eBay etc, but I try to be a bit wary.

Edited By Rob Tothill on 16/08/2015 19:08:06