APC or Wooden Props?

Adrian Smith 1

Advert

I think the reason why people use wooden props on larger engines is that they are lighter so the engine gains revs faster. (somebody correct me if i have been told wrong) Useful for 3D flying but thats about it. Id stick to what works best for you, although there is no harm in experimenting.

Edited By Olly Giles on 23/07/2011 10:23:24

I'm using wooden props on my big aerobat, 35cc pertol, and they work great. not had any problems with them breaking during normal running. As martin says the flywheel effect is lower as they're lighter, but on bigger engines i don't think this is as much of a problem. And the JustENgines ones are much cheaper than using APCs

I use wooden Turnigy's 17 x 8 (incl 10 pec duty & carraige) from HK they work out at £4:30 (ea). I find them durable. I use 79 grm weight. You loose some RPM but the torque is almost the same as the 85 or 92 grm versions.

I guess it largley depends on the airframe your flying aswell as the type of flying you are trying to achieve with said airframe.

I have hit the dirt with my wooden props and with any prop damage to it is dependant on how hard the strike was.  I grounded yesturday at above tickover speed, the prop stopped dead.  But was ok, to my surprise.  At £4:30 ea I don't mind if they break. It has less impact on the engine.

BB

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 26/07/2011 19:49:49

I started carving my own wooden props many years ago for my control line models when it was a case of buying a new prop or another half pint of diesel fuel from my meagre spending money.
Largest I've made was around the fourteen inch diameter size and I've never had one break except when misjudging height and hitting the ground with the engine at full blast - no throttle on the engines I used then.
I believe that many large engine operators use wooden props and they were used on full size aircraft in the early days of flight.
Malcolm

My thoughts exactly Stefan. I would rather break a prop than an engine carrying low to mid torque in the RPM range on a heavy unexpected landing etc...

I was once told that you couldn't 3D with a wooden prop - rubbish. You can.

The props I use now are regulary sold in the UK for between 8.99 - 13.99. I buy x10 at a time from HK. I've yet to exhaust my current supply. I have had x2 ground strikes this season so far, x5 last season. I've x13 of my current stock of wooden prop for the airframe Im currently using Wot 4 23cc Zenoah with magneto. Eg, 4 seasons at £45.00 as opposed to the £63.00p I would have spent in the uk for the x7 broken so far, in 2 seasons.

BB

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 26/07/2011 21:14:11

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 26/07/2011 21:33:03

Hi Guys, I prefer wood, you can work and finish hem so that they weigh less, and have a magnificent finish. Also, balancing can be made perfect. I've never had one throw a blade, but of course, they break on the slightest impact

ernie

and they look great