Saw the mighty Vulcan yesterday

Dean

I live in Cottesmore and from time to time i get to see some pretty cool things but yesterday topped them all the Vulcan was circling round the camp, apparently it was doing a display at Wittering for families day.
It done what seemed to be practice approaches then opened up the olympus engines to climb away the noise was amazing and the whole ground vibrated.
It done this about half a dozen times.
Suberb, long may it contine to fly.

Dean

Advert

during the 90's when we used to go to the yorkshire air show...and stay for the week-end...they used to run up the victor bomber(lusty lindy) to open the show on each of the 3 days.......talking to one of the helpers..he said they run it up to 80% power and then released the brakes and you could feel the aircraft wanting to lift off......he also said that over the week end they would use £1200.00 worth of fuel.....it was bought and given to someones son as a 21st bithday present and stored/displayed at the YAM..and still is.....he also said it would need a couple of million spent on it then to get it back to airworthyness...the victor was one of a series of the V bombers built the same time/era as the vulcan......l/lindy last served in the 1st gulf war

ken anderson ne..1 air history dept....

Ken, you might remember this too...

Sometime back in the 60s there was a show (Tyneside Summer Exhibition?) on the Town Moor, Newcastle. It wasn't a flying show, but a Vulcan flew over as part of the show. It came in low and slow (they'd never be allowed to do that these days) and right over the crowd opened the throttles and pulled hard back into a steep climb. Hear it? We FELT the noise!

i remember see Concorde for the first time at farnborough air show.
it did a touch and go, wow the noise made your skin move.

the vulcan flew over my house earlier this year.

and i had the great sight of 3 concord's in line astern as they came into heathrow for the last time.

get allsorts over my house, had the lancaster this year at about 200 ft up.

Edited By tony bennett on 24/07/2011 13:49:59

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...