Futaba 8FG

Barrie Dav 2

It has been suggested that the Fasst system will be phased out by Futaba. This may be true. I am reasonably confident that even a phased out Fasst system will be supported for longer by many, not only Futaba, by second Tier type suppliers.

I do not think I would be as confident with some other system suppliers.

Does it matter is the issue? I guess in the current world, any electronic system and product will be superceded within 5 years. May be this is how we should view any radio product?

As for how good is the 8FG, I think it is fine. Operationally, by observation it appears to be more reliable that the Spektrum Tx,s in our club.

The issues with the Spektrum appear to be the hardware, batteries failing in the Tx, switches breaking. On the up side, the users now seem to know the issues and how to get them fixed economically. Although a small number of models were damaged. Then again, Spektrum are by far the highest number of 2.4 in use.

Multiplex appear to be bomb proof as does the one Jeti (I think that is what it is). There appears to be at least on Assad?, which appears to be OK. Note the numbers are small. Whereas Futaba and Spektrum are proportionally high.

Edited By Erfolg on 28/09/2012 16:25:46

Posted by Erfolg on 28/09/2012 16:18:49:

It has been suggested that the Fasst system will be phased out by Futaba.

I agree with much of what you say Erfolg - and in the quote above you are fair. But that's my point - its just rumour - "its been suggested", by who exactly? Futaba have made no such statement.

Personally given the investment, and the capability of FASST (S-bus) etc., I find it very hard indeed to believe they will abandon it. They may "back pedal" on it for a while as they may believe the mass market is quite ready for it yet, so they'll push a temporary cheaper alternative. But long term I believe FASST and systems like it are the future - it has far more expansion capability than anything else they have - or I suspect anyone else has.

BEB

I honestly find it hard at this moment to get to excited about the suggestion. of the imminent demise of Fasst. More often than not it is just one persons prejudice with respect to what they what they would like to happen.

The reality is that Fasst as a system works well. The 8FG Tx is an excellent product. As with many devices described as powerful, some study is required to get the most out of it. In the case of the 8FG as a simple Tx it works very well. Where advanced features are required, it also delivers, or shpuld that be excels.

Is it perfect, no. In years to come it will be seen as less than intuitive when using the interface. At this time it is no worse than other manufactures, it is the current norm. At present it is somewhere near the head of the pack.

Where Futaba, JR and a few others score is the robust package. Many budget sets do seem to contain some less durable hardware.

I see the 8FG a sa solidly engineered piece of kit, at least state of the art in its advance functionality.

In the UK market I do believe that both Futaba and JR are currently the best all round buys, considering cost, durability and functionality. Many however also swear by Spektrum, particularly when value for money is a major consideration. Yet to date Futaba has seen many heir apparent come and go over the years,

• 1 month later...