DX8 owners thread...

Tim Mackey

I know it's a bit of a moot point, but the DX8 DOESN'T include a LiPo balancer.

The balancing and overcharge protection is done by a circuit built into the Spektrum LiPo battery.

Here is the BATTERY spec:-

Key Features

• Built-in cell balancer
  • Built-in safety current prevents over charging

Overview

The 4000 2S LiPo offers not only double the flight time as the stock DX7s/DX8 battery but also advanced safety and features. It also includes a built in safety current that shuts the battery, to avoid overcharging and damaging the battery and radio. Plus a built in balancing system to make sure you get the longest life and power from your pack.

Advert

Hi Chris,

Thanks for clarifying the LiPo charging/balancing point, as some others have said, and I agree, it's a good "peace of mind" solution to battery maintenance on the DX8.

I notice the new DX6 sticks to drycells but offers a LiPo with charger upgrade.

Regards

John

• 1 month later...

Hi All, I've been using my DX8 for some time now. No problems

I'm now installing a AR600 RX in a new glider. It all worked well, but now, suddenly nothing.

Yes, it's bound to the TX. Yes the lipo is charged. When I switch on, the hold led lights up (it doesn't flash) The other orange led doesn't light at all. The TX is normal, correct model entered etc. But nothing works, not even a twich. I've tried with an AR8000 Rx, and again nothing. not even a LED Of course, I don't want to get it checked, 'cos with the good weather, I'll loose up in the air time. Am I missing something really stupid?

ernie

If it does the same with a receiver pack and all you get is the solid "Hold" light that means the RX is in failsafe due to no radio signal.

It could be that there is a fault with your DX8, a club member lost 3 planes due to a RF board fault (here we go again..... ) He got it repaired free of charge... but not the planes.

Hi Ernie, I'm sure you've tried all the obvious but it won't hurt just stating it.

How about selecting one servo and a NiMh battery. Then go through the bind procedure again. Bind plug in first, then the Rx battery, then switch Tx on while holding the bind switch. Make sure the Tx is a good distance (4 to 6 ft) away from the Rx while binding.

If this doesn't work with two different receivers, then It really is pointing to a duff TX.

By the way, do you have any other models that the transmitter does work with?

Thanks all, Yes I've tried all that. I reckon its the TX. I'll check out the failsafe. Mon dieu, After all that rain the sun is high (20°C) and no TX; I'm not risking 35 after the last fiasco,

I think I'll try with my old Futaba T6EX

ernie

• 2 months later...

Hi all, hope someone is around on this blog. I have a small DX8 problem. I have recently sold my unused DX8 to a Heli flyer and he is very pleased with his purchase. I had to change the Mode over for him as I fly Mode 1 and he wanted Mode 2.

I must have registered the DX8 in my name last year when I purchased it, and now my new buyer wishes to register the set in his own name, but the Spektrum site is telling him that it is already registered.

Is there a way around this for my buyer, or do I have to do de-register it myself, and if so, how do I go about it.

I think I read somewhere that you can contact Horizon Hobby and get this done through them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated by myself and my buyer. Tony.

Hi Tony,

Just log in to the Spektrum Community found here **LINK** you will then see any radios that are registered to you. You can then just deregister by clicking the link at the side.

If like me you can't remember your password you can have it emailed to you straight away.

i deregistered my DX8 Friday, as I have just sold it, the process took less than a minute.

cheers Adrian

Edited By adrian lawrence 1 on 08/06/2014 07:15:45

Hi Adrian, that was a quick response, and yes the deregistration was also very quick. Thanks for your help. The trouble is, at my age,73 your brain power seems to diminish and simple tasks become a nightmare. But job done and my buyer will be pleased.

I am just waiting now, to get my hands on a New Spektrum DX6. It's already pre-ordered, I just have to be patient.

Have a great day, and thanks again.

Tony.

Hi Tony,

No problem, I'm glad to be of help. I'm 58 and often find the simple tasks harder than the complex ones

the new DX6 looks a good set, I plan to get one now my DX8 is sold. I have a DX18 too and wanted a spare radio that would take the saved model memories from it, the DX6 will do that.

hope your set arrives soon,

Happy flying and safe landings

Adrian

Thanks again Adrian. I think Spektrum may have played a trump card with this new DX6. No Bling but plenty of extras as standard. It seems to me that they have taken the best bits of the other radio's and combined them into this set. I can see them becoming the "Market Leader".

I am only a Sport and leisure flyer, no competitions for me, although I admire the people who put these helicopters through their respective routines, but I still prefer a leisurely flight at a nice steady speed around our patch, I leave all the speed stuff to our younger member,(we have only got one, luckily), we could do with some more new blood though. Most of us are well into our 60s and over.

Anyway, we are off to Weston Super Mare for a couple of days, my Missus wants ti go and se the Wookey Hole caverns again, she has not been there since she was a child. A bit of nostalga.

Best wishes and happy flying.

Tony.

I wonder if anyone knows anything about an interesting problem we encountered recently. We had a couple of young blokes flying a foamy power glider. The older of the two was pretty good, the younger was just learning and they were passing the transmitter over when he got into trouble. I suggested trying a buddy box, so we had a go at buddying up my DX8 with their DX6. It worked, with mine as the slave, except that all the controls were reversed when the slave was in control. Reversing on the slave made no difference, and of course reversing on the master was no good since that would have reversed the controls for the master as well.

So is there some reason why a DX8 can't be a slave to a DX6? Or am I missing something?

John

Is it a DX6 or a DX6i John? - two very different beasts smiley

I have buddied various spektrum sets and not had any problems ( even mixing modes where the trainee was on a different mode to myself ) and using "Pilot link " style training in the master menu, all just works fine and dandy. There is no need to alter trims, servo reverse etc on the slave, the system sorts it all out automatically.

PS: Of course, you must ALWAYS check for correct operation and direction of surface travels etc before you commit to aviation, just to be sure surprise

Edited By Tim Mackey on 08/06/2014 11:32:52

Just having a google around for info on this relevant to the new superduper DX6 and found the following which may be useful to others. Someone contacted HH about the issue, and here's the reply.

Thank you for contacting Horizon Hobby's Product Support Department.

Here is a list of all the buddy box combinations that can be used. You can mix modes of transmitters because when the master releases command to the slave, the master becomes an antenna to the receiver and all the programming on it is not used.

DX8 as MASTER works with DX8, DX7, DX6, DX6i, DX5e, 9303, 9503 622 and 7202. (It is necessary to have 7202 programmed to be SLAVE.)

DX7 (DX7s) as MASTER works with DX7, DX6, DX6i, DX5e, 9303, 9503, 622 and 7202. (It is necessary to have 7202 programmed to be SLAVE.)

DX6i as MASTER works with DX7, DX6, DX5e, 9303, 9503, 622 and 7202 when set as SLAVE. Some controls were intermittent at times, but may be due to issues with this particular 6i.

DX5e as MASTER works with DX7, DX6, DX6i, 9303, 9503, 622 and 7202 when set as SLAVE.

DX6 as MASTER works with DX7, DX6i, 9303, 9503, 622 and 7202 when set as SLAVE.

The DX5e did not function properly as SLAVE. When control is given to the (slave) DX5e, there is no Throttle, but instead the Aileron stick of the DX5e operates the Throttle channel of the Rx. Subsequently the Elevator stick drives the Aileron channel and so on. This is an issue between the Txs and not with the HAN cable.

JR9303 (with DSM module) as MASTER works with DX7, DX6, DX6i, DX5e.

JR Txs were not tested with the other JR Txs as these are known to be compatible.

The higher end transmitter should always be the master, especially when it is a programmable transmitter being used with a non-programmable transmitter.

I was always under the assumption that when you use the DX8 as the master, you select P-Link on the DX8 which means that you do not have to worry about getting the two transmitters with identical settings, as you have to do with the others in the range.

But I agree that you should still check that all the controls are acting in the correct sense, for the aircraft that you are flying.

Hope this helps.

Tony.