DX8 latest software bug

Tim Mackey

Advert

So I did in fact buy a DX8 taking advantage of the free Rx. I don't have a PID code that has been a problem with some DSM2 Rx's and my gimbles are working fine. I must say I really do like the feature of the set especially the servo set-up features. However my version is 2.02. Should I upgrade to the 2.03? But then I worry that I'll gain these trim bugs?

Prop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Tim I applaud you for putting this warning up. Hopefully people have taken the warning onboard and also Spektrum are working hard to sort this out.

Chris in some ways Spektrum do pay for this rushed approach, I sold all of my Spektrum equipment and have gone over to Aurora.

I hope Spektrum sort these issues out and start to improve the pre-launch soak testing.

• 1 month later...
DX8 Spektrum™ AirWare™ Change Log Version 2.04

V2.04 Software Update
Supports new telemetry G-Force sensors   
Calibration screen/ function has been improved
Elevons when Flap System is active bug has been corrected
Wing/tail channel assignment and switch selection interaction has been fixed 

Edited By Simon Cunliffe on 20/11/2011 18:18:36

All this chat just confirms my thoughts on getting a Futaba FF9 with a speccy module..
Best of both worlds... The ease of Speccy DSM, but with Futaba in the hand.. !

I appreciate there'll be no telemetry, or vibrating, which I fancy, but this endless list of issues is worrying me..

Luv
Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 21/11/2011 16:49:13

No modelmatch either Chrisie (I believe), so you will have the power to use the wrong model memory!
Personally I think modelmatch has saved many a model..

I've had no issues whatsoever with my DX8 and view it as a big positive that they can keep adding features with software updates.

It's a shame it's been so tarnished with little issues, the programming is just soooo much easier than older generation radios from all manufacturers. We never seem to post just how good it is.

• 2 months later...
Ernie,
I have had a DX8 and was one of the users who had the bug and needed to send the transmuter back for the fix. It took very little time to fix and send back (under a week) and since the fix I haven't had any issues with the transmuter.

I did last week have a problem where a receiver would not respond? A quick email to Horizon Hobby with the problem and a fix was pointed out. (I had a break in the cable between the Rx and the Remote Rx) so all I have is praise for the after sales support team.

Spektrum DX8 is a very easy to use transmuter with a nice feel to it so I have no hesitation in recommending it..

Happy Flying
Owain...

Hi All

Got worried that I had an issue with my "old school" DX8 - Still shows DSM2 logo!

TX rebooted whilst I was in the mixing screens looking at the programming for my Radian Pro - happened twice! Found this on the forums - it is a firmware bug.

Shouldn't be an issue when flying - unless you are mixing in flight!

Never had an issue with the TX and it had to go back for the gimble and DSM2 bugs!

Only thing I wish it has is better glider mixing, but would recommend to all.

I got a dx8 a week ago

My thoughts

1) it's quite big and substantial. I've got big old hands (size 9 UK) and it's a handful (literally). I don't usually use a neck strap but might start with this one- it's not light.
2) some side sliders / rotary knobs rather than so many top mounted toggle switches would have been nice. The Aux 3 rotary knob would be much better if it was side-mounted.
3) the programming is incredibly easy and intuitive- I did a custom throttle hold mix without reading the manual
4) updating the firmware is very simple
5) the trainer button is in a silly place for prolonged holding
6) Telemetry is a nice function but by the time you've bought the TM1000, compatible rx and sensors it gets quite expensive
7) having a smooth movement to the throttle rather than a ratched isn't my preferred option (though I understand the hoverboverboys prefer it).

Its possible to make the throttle a ratchet style - although this involves a rather cumbersome and silly system of opening the case up, including having to re-glue the side patches back in place etc. Crazy and quite un-necessary IMO.
Surprised you find it heavy, it feels no different to my DX7 in my experience, pretty light, and boy - have you felt the weight of things like the Futaba MZ14 !!

Yes, I've read up on the ratched conversion, just can't quite bring myself to take apart my brand new tx yet. But it's on my to-do list.

I guess re the weight I'm just used to very basic (and therefore light) tx's like my 6ex. The main thing I was worried about was the tx feeling "cheap" but it's a nice bit of kit.

Any news on how long the nimh battery lasts in use? I've heard the dx8 takes quite a lot of current- is a lipo upgrade a useful thing? I'm aware it's not possible to fast-charge the battery via the charge plug on the tx and I really do need / want at least 6-8 hours usage off a charge. I see hobbyking do a lipo for the dx8 which I might be tempted to upgrade to if these rumours are based on anything...

Re opening the case, Timbo. I needed to replace a gear switch which I careleesly broke - HH put a new one in the post FOC, continuing their good customer service reputation.

With some trepidation, I peeled back the side coverings as per instructions and after I'd fitted the replacement it all went back together again with no re-gluing or problems and still looks as good as new. Just make sure the Tx is at a sensible room temperature and the double-sided tape will reattach itself without any dramas.

I have used a ratchet on the Optic 6 and friction on the DX6i and the DX8 and I definitely prefer the latter. There's enough friction to hold the setting and the Optic 6 seems quite 'notchy' now.

The OEM battery is fine for duration - never tested it but it must have lasted several hours OK. I've now got the HK Li-Po at a fraction of the Spekky price and I've only charged it twice in a couple of months. The higher initial charged voltage gives you plenty of headroom before you get down to 6.4v, the default alarm setting.

Pete

Yes I also dismantled the case, and managed to restick the side plates - but as I say, I found the whole principle unwieldy - why on earth did they design it like that ? - all other Txs I have ever owned ( a lot ) could be opened without the need to peel off adhesive backed rubber grips!
Agreed on the battery duration LOADS of time on one charge of the supplied NiMhs.
Generally speaking, 2.4G sets use far less power than older 35Hhz ones Ben.

I sold the telemetary device a while ago. Not interested in that stuff, apart from rx battery. I like the DX8, not perfect, but ok. Might get the DX18, as the DX 8 is rather limited in the mix department. Also 30 model memories isn't enough, even though the SD card allows many more - I need more than 30 live in the tx's memory at any one time. The DX18 has 50.

Tim I thought both throttle tension and ratchet could be applied just by taking two small plugs out of the back of the Tx and screwing small adjusters? Might check the manual.

I find the DX8 lighter than many other transmitters, especially 35Mhz types and the higher end Futabas and JR's

My standard nimh battery lasts months before it needs a charge, so my advice would be to suck it and see before investing in a LiPo.

I'm very pleased with mine, especially the easy programming and very flexible mixing abilities.

Posted by Chris Bott on 15/02/2012 19:50:23:
Tim I thought both throttle tension and ratchet could be applied just by taking two small plugs out of the back of the Tx and screwing small adjusters? Might check the manual.

Are you sure that isn't just the Hitec Aurora 9?

When I changed the mode over on a mates DX8, I had to pull it apart as per Tim above. I can't remember seeing any plugs to remove to do it.

Edited By Simon Chambers on 15/02/2012 20:16:28

I just tried it.

There are two square plugs on the back of the Tx. One is for mode 1 throttle, the other for mode 2 throttle.

Behind each of these are two screw adjusters. One adjusts the tension of the smooth throttle friction spring, the other adjusts the tension of the ratchet throttle spring, this one is backed off completely in the factory.

I just added ratchet to my Tx and then made it stiff too. Took about 30 seconds...

Changing modes involves removing the back of the case, that is far more involved.

Edited By Chris Bott on 15/02/2012 20:53:55