Saito Newcomer

Hi,

just running my first Saito engine, an 82B - I've plenty of experience on OS 4-strokes, but this is my first Saito engine.

All in all I'm happy. But something is just nagging at me. Now first of all I should "come clean" and admit that I have temporarily misplaced the manual. Which honestly isn't like me - but there you are. Anyway - looked up the on-line generic Saito "small 4-strokes" manual and that has the running in details. Running in is complete and the engine is functioning well. But....

It seems to be happy with the high speed needle open about 21/2 turns. Now on all my OS engines the normal needle setting is about 11/4 to 11/2 turns. So the Saito seems to need quite a bit more. I've checked with a tacho and its reving out fine - peaking at about 10,300rpm. The pick up is clean and without hesitation. But there is more white smoke than I would normally expect from a well set up engine.

So my problem is: function wise it seems fine - leave it alone - right?.

But my head keeps telling me its running too rich because of the 21/2 turns on the needle valve and the presence of definite visible white smoke.

Is all this quite usual in a Saito and should I stop fussing about and just fly it?

BEB

Advert

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 22/09/2011 11:16:48:

...But there is more white smoke than I would normally expect from a well set up engine.

So my problem is: function wise it seems fine - leave it alone - right?.

But my head keeps telling me its running too rich because of the 21/2 turns on the needle valve and the presence of definite visible white smoke.

Is all this quite usual in a Saito and should I stop fussing about and just fly it?

BEB

That's just an excess of "soul".
If you're worried about it act on Myron's suggestion.
You know it makes sense.

BEB,

I’ve previously used a couple of Saitos, both, for various reasons, second hand. You haven’t said which fuel you’re using, I was using my standard brew, a ‘watered down’ version of straight synthetic, which after treatment is down to about 15% oil. Although the first engine ran ok I felt there was room for improvement, and as someone had told me previously that Saitos prefer a nitro supplement I tried adding some. This certainly made a considerable improvement. I went for about a 10% by volume increase, I think that perhaps even up to 15% might be worth a try.

I’m afraid I don’t really know why you have the excess of white smoke, is it possible the engine is running a bit hot and a more than usual amount oil is getting burnt? Although burnt oil might tend to be more on the blue side, perhaps. In general model engines don’t seem to actually burn too much oil anyway, rather they tend to just spit it out. That seems to apply equally to 2 or 4 strokes. I personally wouldn’t be to concerned about the needle valve, in my experience they can vary considerably between makes; and if it’s running ok surely it can’t be that far adrift? I’m sure you don’t need me to warn about the dangers of detonation, as a result of a weak mixture. I think this was well covered in a recent thread; this is indeed a rare occurrence, but not entirely unknown. As far as I’m aware, Laser engines are the only 4 stroke engines that won’t detonate, and I believe this is a result of, to some degree at least, their wedge shaped combustion chamber.

Four stokes can sometimes run quite hot, I have a friend with a Laser 150 and he wanted to extend the exhaust outlet, but rather unexpectedly this proved to be quite difficult, it just kept burning everything off! In the end I think he used a piece of the flexible steel pipe.

I don’t know if any of the above is of any use, but I’d certainly continue to run it. I’m never particularly fussy over engines, for instance, I never bother to note how far the needle valve is in or out unless there is a specific purpose for doing this.

Just kick the tyres and light the fires……….

PB

To my fellow "oily hands" many thanks for the reassuring advice. To the smart alec "electron worriers" Prrrrrsssss! <- sound effect of a big rasberry!

I know you're right too rich can't really do any damage. And I should really be be more pragmatic as Peter says - if its running OK why worry?

I ran the engine again tonight in the garden for a tankful. As I say it runs fine and throttles well. Its not burning the oil - as Peter says its just throwing it out - quite large amounts of it. But any attempt the take the needle in pushes it into lean territory.

I'll stick with it. I spoke to a friend of mine today who said that sometimes Saitos are a bit "greedy" for the first hour or so.

I'll also check out the website you suggested Tom.

Thanks again guys

BEB

A quote from the website Tom pointed me at:

"...don’t be concerned if your engine runs optimally at somewhat different setting from other people’s engines. How the engine runs is important, not the number of turns on the needles."

Wise words!

Also I've learnt from the site that the smoking is not unsual - apparently the low speed needle is set about one whole turn rich on a newly shipped engine and should be left there for the first gallon of fuel or so.

Well, you lern something new everyday!

BEB

I have an 82a in my funtana and don't get as much smoke as you describe, but I do have to run it richer than I would have expected as it seems to more readily throw the prop if leaned out at all. More so than other 4 strokes I own. So I guess if its running fine, then just fly it BEB, can't do any harm!

I've had a couple of Saitos BEB and they both took a good few tanks and, in one case, a slow running adjustment before settling down. One did seem to smoke a bit at times but being a leccy man at the time, I did the sensible thing and just ignored it

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 23/09/2011 07:48:17