McDonnell Douglas DC-10

Brett Jones

hi guys, need some advise about to release my own design version of a dc10, made from 3 and 6 depron, all cnc cut. full 6 channel with retracts, flaps and lights. 35.5'' span weight so far 300g. pusher prop in the tail.

If i buy a kit sometimes ill change the hardware like hinges etc, so are these needed to be supplied by me or shall i release and that the buyer must sorce there own? the cost is only pence but if its not worth me including then i would rather not.

I know everybody is different and has there own preferences, please comment to help me make my mind up

thanks brett

Edited By Brett Jones on 04/10/2011 22:11:10

I agree with Kevin - if you are going to include them then make them worth using. Nice hardware impresses the customer and helps create a feeling that this is a quality kit. On the other hand poor hardware really can do an otherwise good kit a lot of reputation harm.

I think another factor to bear in mind is who do you see building this? If its likely to bought by less experienced builders they would probably appreciate the kit the more "complete" it is. But if you see the market as being mainly well established and experienced builders, then they tend to have their own prefered way of doing things and their own stock of stuff like hinges, clevises etc.

You could always offer a "hardware pack" as an additional purchase?

BEB

I hate it when, having bought a kit, I am then expected to buy a load more stuff that is needed to build it. It still rankles me that my Flair DVII came without wheels! I still think Flair are taking the....erm....Mickey with that one.

If I bought a kit without hinges, clevises etc then I would be annoyed- unless it was made expressly clear before purchase. Even then I think it might still bother me. As to the additional hardware pack option- again I am not convinced. It's a kit- it should contain everything needed to build the model. If it doesn't then call it a plan and CNC wood/depron kit or a short kit.

ps I agree with the other posters though- nice looking plane. Any chance of a bigger one? For some reason I can't bring myself to build small sensibly sized planes!

I agree. Supply good hardware. One reason is that you have designed the kit around what you used. It will ensure that the builders get things right if they have the same parts.

Also you should be able to buy at trade prices which will mean you can include the hardware and increase the value of the kit over and above the actual cost thus making the kit value look even better.

Thanks for your opinions guys, It helped me make up my mind and i will be giving hardware with the kits as i want the kit to be value for the money.

This will be my first kit to be released and i will be doing this in my spare time around my job. Peter how do i go about buying at trade prices?

Below are some more designs to be released, dh comet and airbus a380.

Edited By Brett Jones on 05/10/2011 20:25:43

Ah hardware, well, another mans hardware is another mans junk, you will NEVER please everyone, i have my favorites, he will have his, and you will have yours, just list on here what you intend to include, and watch the use this use that forunites shout out with their mines best wisdom, with a model of this type, it wont be bought by a beginner, but it may be bought by an artf-r, who does not have a stock of the things needed, minefield, innit?

cracking ideas though, they will sell quite well i would think, as for getting trade, company headed letter, should fill the bill

You just have to contact the distributors of the harsware that you use and explain that you are producing some kits and ask if you can buy the stuff at trade.

It would help if all the hardware comes from one distributor. However this should not be a problem as I can't think of any hardware sold in this country that isn't good.

The worst that they can say is "no"

Posted by Erfolg on 06/10/2011 12:49:14:
Brett

You say about to be released, how?

How much demand do you see for a DC 10?

Nice aircraft to fly on though, seemed more spacious than a 747.

Hi erfolg, im going to be selling them through ebay untill i have a website set up. I have a cnc machine and cut all the parts myself. For this kit alone it has 169 precut parts from 3mm & 6mm depron, balsa and ply that slot together.

As for demand there are not many airliners around and this is a park sized jet. Im hoping that peolple will want one as i do not know of any dc10 kits around. It is simple to construct if you can follow a 25 page full photo build manual.

brett