SE5a I/C to electric

Advert

• 2 months later...
Mine has a Graupner Compact 390 motor in it, with a 12-cell GP3300 or GP3700 NiMh pack, and a Jeti Advance Opto Plus 40 ESC. It turns a 13x8 APC E prop.

It's about to be converted to a 5S A123 pack (just a rearrangement of the battery bay) because my NiMh packs are nearing the end of their life, but it may need a bit of lead in the nose with this.

Since I did that conversion I've become addicted to AXI motors. If I were doing it again, my selection would be an AXI 2826/12 with 5S A123 and a 12x6 APC E prop (that's what I use in my Magnatille, which originally had the same OS48FS engine as my SE5A) or a 4S LiPo of similar weight to my 5S A123, for longer flight times.

Edited By Allan Bennett on 28/12/2011 20:37:53

• 3 weeks later...
Mine has a modest 400W setup, and flies as well as one I had 20-odd years ago with an OS40 4-stroke. The motor is a 900kV unit (E-Max I think) from Giant Cod, rated at 50A and turning a 11x7 prop. I've used a cheapie GC ESC rated at 60A, with a NiMH for the radio in case this smokes - it was only about £12! No problems so far though. Lipo, again from GC is a 3s 3000mAh Loong Max Tipple.
Performance with this set-up is very scale, ample for easy take-offs and half throttle cruising gives an easy 10 minute duration. We often over-power our models, but this aircraft just wouldn't look right flying like a Pitts!

Hi kc, this was one of those models that you struggle with. Firstly I didn't build it, it came from a guy near me. He had built it really nicely, however the wing incidences were all different, and the panels were twisted. I ended up having to make new wing struts to get them all to work together. Once I got it sorted I sold it. Wish I hadn't now as it looked great in the air.
I had it to go along with a Flair Triplane. I was trying to muster up a squadron of Flair Scouts at a fun fly. Failed miserably

Anybody want to try at the Greenacres/RCM&E bash for a Flair patrol??

Cheers
Danny

Posted by Danny Fenton on 18/01/2012 17:17:36:
Snip...
I had it to go along with a Flair Triplane. I was trying to muster up a squadron of Flair Scouts at a fun fly. Failed miserably

Snip...
Anybody want to try at the Greenacres/RCM&E bash for a Flair patrol??

Cheers
Danny

Danny I don't have a Flair model but I do have a Ripmax SE5a which I flew at Greenacres last year. I have also flown it in formation at our field with a Flair Cub and Puppeteer amongst others. Covering needs some TLC at the moment but I'd love the opportunity to join in if you will have me. This is it at the Delyn 2010 unlimited Scale competition. (I didn't do very well - too windy):

(Also see RCM&E March 2011 page 84 page heading image)
Edited By Ian Jones on 22/01/2012 16:23:26

Oh, it's not electric power either.

Edited By Ian Jones on 22/01/2012 16:25:24

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry Ian, I must have missed the nottification on this one, of course you can join in we just need to get a few more
Young Mr Binnie has finally got back onto his Flair Triplane. Anybody else fancy a lazy WW1 session at Greenacres?

This is the leccy crowd from 2011 yours truly, Gavin Mack, and Prop
Cheers
Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 03/02/2012 15:50:20