Ad-hoc flying sites?

Tim Kearsley

Hi all,

Fairly new to model flying, but I've persevered and just got my "A" certificate.  Now the learning really starts!

I've applied to join a club but sometimes I'd like to just go out and fly on my own for an hour, perhaps after (or before) work.  Do any of you have a site where you can go and fly when you feel like it?  Also, does anyone have any experience of approaching a landowner with a view to being allowed to fly a model occasionally?  I only fly electric power at the moment, so noise isn't much of an issue.

I know the BMFA regard flying a model alone as a no-no because of safety issues, but in all honesty is it really any more dangerous than solo walking, climbing etc? If you do fly alone, does the BMFA insurance still cover you? 

I'd be very interested to hear of experiences in this area.

Cheers,

Tim.

Advert

Good points, all of 'em!  I do acknowledge the dangers of flying alone.  My own opinion is that we sometimes go over the top with attempting to eliminate all risk but that is of course just an opinion.

Notwithstanding those points though, I would be very interested to hear of anyone's experience in negotiating with local landowners to be allowed to fly a model aeroplane or finding opportunities to fly outside of the conventional club environment.

Cheers,

Tim.

Tim

I belong to a club and fly in the traditional sense with my mates on the Sunday flightline. When we moved house 5 years ago we ended up (unintentionally!) with a park behind the house some 4 football pitches in size. It has become my park fly ground. It's a treeless area (apart form goal posts) that's owned by the local Town Council and used exclusively for Rugby and Football.

I fly early morning (7-8am) and late evening when no one is around bar the odd dog walker and when the wind is slight. Dog walkers tend to go around the edge of the park... I fly small electric models so foamie GWS fighters etc - anything in that category. The largest model I flew was a Twinstar but I decided that was too big. My park hack this summer has been my ArtTech Mustang (upgraded with a better motor) and no one has had a bad word to say. One chap even used my flying to support his campaign to (successfully) stop the council developing the land as a way of showing the diversity of interests being persued on the ground.

Dog walkers even lined up to give me a round of applause after one flight! Some have said they enjoy watching me fly and I've made some friends in the process amongst those who like to stop and chat. I've kept the models small, quiet and deliberately unintimidating and I clock up more hours in the park than anywhere else. This extra stick-time has improved my flying without a doubt.

I wouldn't fly i.c. alone at a club site of course but, for me small electric models have their place and have allowed me to fly more often. 

David,

That's most interesting.  It's good to know that the uninitiated general public can appreciate our skills!

I suppose what I'm really looking for is a quiet spot where I can develop and improve my skills to the point where I'm at ease flying in the company of others.  At the moment, although I'm competent to keep the model in the air without drama I do still feel self-conscious.

I do only fly electric at the moment and I will definitely keep I.C. flying for the club.

Cheers,

Tim.

Hi,

I fly exclusively at my local park, admittedly its out in the sticks, with no play equipment and its too rought for rugby/football pitches. So its just me and the local dog walkers and my mpx electric EZ* and EZ glider.

When I first tried flying I did go along to the local club, but having to wait for a slot and travel 20miles did not really work for me. The park is only 5 mins away and well away from housing.

So it works for me, but the safety thing could be an issue. I thought I was safe but had a narrow miss. I had just done a range check and was walking back to my EG, and in the process of picking it up the throttle went full as the Tx strap caught it. The prop wacked into my Tx ariel, bending it in half, then pulled the prop adapter off and shot off past my head for another 15m or so. Could have been nasty! As you say you are never safe!

The only time I have had entertained the dog walkers was when I landed my EZ* in a tree, but never got any applause for that one!

nick

Well there's some interesting replies there!  Unfortunately, I don't have any decent sized parks close by.

Has anyone had any experience of approaching a local farmer or landowner for permission to fly a model in a field?  I know of several fields locally which look as though they could be very useable for occasional flying but how the heck do you find out who to approach for permission?

Cheers,

Tim.

Hi guys,

Here in la belle France, I searched for weeks 'tll I found a flyable field on the salt marshes beside the Gironde. Take off are impossible, but the views and the climate are to kill for (18deg and no wind today) So,I knocked together a 'marsh flyer' with no UC, upright engine etc. from some bits and pieces of broken fun flyes. Eventually, I found the horny handed grape farmer who owned the tiny strip. He thought I was barking mad..toy planes.mon dieu.There was a conference in the village square, and with great ceremony, permission was granted...Yesterday, I was down there, the field hd been ploughed, but  a perfect strip was left for me to fly from

ernie

Hi Tim, The best advice I can give you is find out who owns the land you have your eye on and just ask for permission to fly there,having flown in one farmers field and built a flying field in anothers  http://www.tomlaird.com/articles/flying_site/diary.htm we found out that if you don't ask you don't get, the worst thing that can happen is they will say no.The safety issues have all been documented, but I do agree with David that small electrics should not pose a threat if used wisely.

If you do get somewhere to fly as has been said good housekeeping pays dividends as does letting the owner know of any potential problems ie broken fences,poorly animals and at this time of year a decent bottle of his tipple helps to cement a good relationship.    Jim.

INTERESTING CHAT - OUR CLUB IN THE NE HAS SEVEN DAYS A WEEK FLYING FOR A RENT TO THE FARMER TO CUT A 40 METRE SQ STRIP IN HIS FIELD.

HAVE FLOWN ON MY OWN OFTEN BUT NOW THINK TWICE SINCE I CHOPPED MY LITTLE FINGER NEARLY THROUGH ONE SUNDAY WHEN I STUCK MY HAND IN THE IC PROP (STILL DONT KNOW WHY I DID IT) AND WOULD HAVE BEEN IN A RIGHT PICKLE IF NO ONE ELSE HAD BEEN AROUND.

REMEMBER IC PROPS STOP WHEN INTERFERED WITH BUT ELECTRIC KEEP GOING!!

Tim

It may help if you add a hint of your location to your profile.

A group of fliers I belong to have access to a superb field (if a little bumpy) where we fly a whole range of craft. We are not a club since we prefer the loosness of flying as we want although we have a "gentlemans agreement" which restricts the time we fly IC (local house owner sufferes from the noise) and how far down the field we fly.

I suggest you speak to your local hobby shop owner as they may be able to put you in touch with someone who has access to exactly what you are after.

Prior to finding this group and site I flew for the last 3 years or so as a "Park Flier" so normally flying alone.

I too used to get people watching especially the dog walkers, and I would often approach them after landing and chat about what I was up to and about the site in general.

I never had any problems with anyone at this site and I spoke to the people in the local office on site to make sure I was OK in doing what I was doing. The reponse I got was incredibly positive, unknown to me - when they were quiet in the office they used to watch my planes to reduce the boredom!

Well thanks very much to all those who have added some very helpful comments.  It sounds like there are a number of people "going it alone".

just this morning I was out for a walk and spotted a Funjet buzzing around the sky!  I found the guys flying it and stopped and had quite a chat.  It turned out that they were part of a group of just four - not a club - who had use of what is a superb field.  Unfortunately I don't think they wanted anyone else!!

I've written to some local farmers and I'll wait and see what comes back.  In the end I just want to fly my models, safely and legally but when I want to and am able to.

To you Andy, by the way, I'm in East Northamptonshire, close to the borders of Cambridgeshire and Bedfordshire.

Cheers,

Tim.

Tim

Sadly the journey to our place would be a little far for a regular trip but if you are in Essex with a model - give me a shout.

I would be tempted to visit the group of 4 a few more times. From the conversations you have with them and the regular visiting you may find they come to accept you as a serious modeller who is not just on a "Fad" and may invite you to fly with them.

It is worth a try, failing that they may be aware of another facility you could use.

Congratulations on your A, that is my target for the start of next year

Good Luck

• 1 month later...

One can always fly electric on common land unless the commoners (the legal users( object - this may be by way of bye laws or something more brutal,

They would certainly object to IC and be careful when horse riders are about.

I have had two Electric Gliders eaten by cows they are extremely inquisitive and will form a circle to investigate a model.

Best wishes John