Oh dear, winter's here, how much flying are you getting in?

Sorry Guys and Girls but I had the temptation of a beautiful blue sky calm day here today after the mist cleared. After doing my chores I found the time to test/play with my Fun Cub out the back of my house. Up to know I've only flown it at the 'piste'.

The track up to my house is quite rough but no problem on take off there and had really good time out playing around with the FC in flight. I think there is a danger it will make me think I'm a brilliant aerobatic pilot!! Great easy approaches with first stage flap and landings almost at my feet.

A short walk back as it got cooler - a cup of tea in front of the log fire and Lipos all charged up and ready for the next time!

Terry

Advert

Lucky Terry and Martin, all the daylight hours of the day today where spent in the workplace.

I will be flying tomorrow PM depending on what weather we get/availability of instructors.

I will be flying my EasyFly if possible, for a couple of hours if I can.

Olly

Sympathy accepted Erfolg, I think we need even more of it now. Wild out, with hail in the proper West Highland rain. The Cairgorm mfc got my appologyby E-mail,, AGM tonight, word back,, likely to be snow there. I do believe I might have to resurect the old computer and play the old model flight sim. Just till the weather freezes up----- frozen = dry

I suspect that we are all starting to feel much the same, that is frustrated. Oy, steady on, because the weather is getting in the way of flying. Not for any other reason.

On my regular flying days last week, I was either in Ilkley, baby sitting, or is that chauffeuring around young socialites to there ballet lessons, swimming lessons and parties (how many parties can there be?). Whilst their parents escape to do on calls. Then it was to Lytham Saint Annes, baby sitting again (Wednesday), whilst, yes, you have got it, their parents house hunt.

Neither day (Sunday and Wednesday) was brilliant though.

Now it seems that that Friday will be to windy, to fly here in the north west (England, before I upset Flyingtilbroke). Sunday also looks questionable.

The upside is I may do a little building tomorrow, if going to the field is out. That is if the better half does not drag to the shops looking for tiles for the bathroom. Again it is a case of once this is done, i have no more plans to renovate the house in any way. Hump, if only.

Looks like tomorrow is going to be windy here too, mind don't think I'm far from you Erfolg.

Anyone know anywhere between Oldham and Stockport where I can glide or Slope soar? must be somewhere in the dales?

SWMBO wants me to move some stuff to the charity shop if weather too bad to fly - so will have to be really bad! Just some Ironing to do tonight and a little work on the easyfly - it's good but there is a few things I want to tweek.

Olly

Olly

I am considered to be located South Manchester (now), not far from "Simon the Depron Man".

Not a slope to be found here, the nearest for us is Helsby.

Isn't Hartshead Pike (Mosely) a flyable hill, if the wind is OK. There used to be nothing near it, that was in the dim distant past though.

When I worked in Cumbria, I used to just find a likely looking hill, with a foot path, just walk high enough and launch, landings would not be, go to the back of the hill, avoid curl over type landings. They would take the form of work low to the hillside, by tacking , then airbrakes out and fly down the slope, avoiding speed build up.

But I am not a regular slope flyer, like many.

I also now just fly my electrics of the Moorland, on my way to Ilkley, Water board land seems to be unfenced etc. Any sign with ********* WTP, always seems to lead to a small remote reservoir, served by a service road, when in the hills, nothing ever seems to be near them. No one seems bothered when you are the only one, flying occasionally, causing no bother (electrics being silent).

Edited By Erfolg on 25/11/2011 11:01:43

Thanks Erfolg - I live in Stockport so, can't be too far from you.

I'll try and find a likely hill on the way along the woodhead or snake pass this pm, wind is getting up now so club will probably be a bit too windy....might call in tho as only 10minutes off route.

Lunch Time!

Olly

I would expect your nearest RC glider/electric model club would be BATS. The full name is "Bramhall Area Thermal and Slope Club".

I am sure you would also be welcome at our club, which is Thermal and electric model club. Just drop me a line if interested. For visitors who are considering taking up modeling, the requirement for BMFA insurance is waived. Membership or a number of visits does require insurance.

However I did go to the field. Surprisingly I was not the only person to go, nor the first there. Three cars were parked. At the gate, it did not seem to windy, however on reaching the flight line, in the open, it was a gale. A small number of seagulls attempting to walk, were being blown backwards. A small flock of very small birds, possibly wrens, shot through, like jet fighters. Only a bird of prey, had no trouble at all, as it searched for prey.

Our latest member, one of the proprietors of Revolution Models, started to assemble a Radian. First the model box hurtled of down the field, I had several attempts to intercept the box and now a wing panel, before success. Then a long walk back. The assembly continued, with first one ting, then another, taking to the air, finally success.

The model was firmly held, to allow the Lipo to be inserted. Watching, I could see the tailplane assembly, in fact the whole back end, doing its own thing. The wing assembly was flapping like a Kestrel in the hover.

Someone had to ask, "are you really sure, that this is a good idea". Of course it is, just pass that lead billet, was the reply. Fortunately the same question was repeated, as the wind nearly ripped the transmitter out of his hand, the model box, plus the Aluminum transmitter case (two transmitters in the same box, posh or what) blew down the field. The model was riving in his grasp, the wing and tailplane, behaving as they were on different models, not connected. Only then was defeat accepted. Everything was captured by the assembled team,as we staggered back to the gate.

Another member had arrived, asking how was it? To windy was the reply. Seems alright, to me, he declared. He was so right, by the gate, in the shelter of bushes and trees. In the field was a different matter.

It was back to the cars, vowing to return on Sunday.

Went out to or strip at lunch time today for a quick fly with the WOT 4 XL. I didn't think it was that windy After watching my plane take off as soon as it started rolling forward I thought "this 'll be intersting getting back down". Throttling back and the model just went backwards. Flying around the air was quite smooth but boy did the Wot dissappear downwind fast! In to wind, lined up and gradually throttling back produced a vertical landing. The plane really landed with absolutely no forward speed. Was great balancing it on the throttle. It was so much fun I had to have another go. Shame I was there on my own cos I'd have loved to get it on video. All in all a hours good flying.

Andy

Yes but he hasnt any planes so it doesnt matter.Now Im working from home I have less time.Waited in for a customer all day and he phoned just now to say he is coming 11 am tomorrow,with the light diappearing so fast by the time I finsh with him it probably wont be worth going.Im looking forward to the last GP and as its at 4 pm all fitted in well until now,maybe I can rush him,but wages pay for flying so he has to be the priority especially this time of year when they are thin on the ground.

It is Friday it has been very windy over the last few days, which I think we all are aware of.

I had gone to the field on Wednesday, arriving late, everyone was leaving, was it my lack of deodorant? No it was to cold, calmish lower down, quite bumby higher up apparently. So I had gone home.

I had noticed on approaching the field on both days that in one ploughed field, there were a hundred or so Seagulls standing in the bottom of each furrow, about 2 or 3 meters away from each other, none were flying.

At the field, I was the first, shortly another 4 arrived, I was second up, stooging around with my sports model. The third model was launched, along with a lot of shouting, then a very loud crump. I looked down, to see a pile of apparent bits, which were covered with Solarfilm.

Being nosy, I landed, to see what was going on. A crashed model, most obviously, no apparent cause, as everything worked, as expected,

I reach launched, did another 10 minutes perhaps, and landed as it was so very, very, cold. I had another two models in the boot to fly, though the current Lipo was not flat. No, it was time to go home. Leave the rest to it.

Now you may think I was under dressed, not really, I had my winter jacket, complete with inner heavy removable lining, A Thermal hat, my walking boots.
It seems I need my walking socks,over my std. socks and heavy thermal trousers. Although not as cold as apparently last year was at this time , it was cold.

Ah, Sunday!

Has no one else gone flying? I did, so why no one else?

Having walked for my paper, in very light occasional drizzle, had breakfast, I thought, do I want to sit and watch TV all day. No said the wife, I have vacuum cleaning to do, the house needs straightening up, can you not go out till lunch.

I was very doubtful, loading one model only. I knew the lads would be at the field. Arriving at the field, I was greeted by emptiness. The light occasional drizzle was now a proper shower, still looking into the far distance, there was a glimmer of light on the horizon. I think I can see just about 5 miles, being pretty flat. I put on my jacket, hat (new fashionable winter hat, how the jokes keep coming) outside of the car and assessed the situation. The wind was light at ground level, the grey crud scudded across the sky though. It should not be long before better weather arrives.

It seems that the Seagulls in the ploughed field must be permanent winter visitors, just standing there as usual. I think this lot have lost the power of flight. Seems the Crows are always here, flying in squadrons in and out of the large copse at the bottom of the field. Ionly saw two more birds, a hovering Sparrow Hawk, a few fields down and a singular Thrush. It is so bleak now, most trees having shed there leaves, just a splash of yellow and gold on those still in the process.

Not one other modeller turned up. All safely ensconced in their modelling dens, I guess, or reading the Sunday papers and me, I waited, for better things.

The rain had all but stopped, so I took my model out of the boot and went into the field. I possibly flew for about 5 minutes, before a shower enveloped me, I rapidly landed and scuttled of back to the car.

On arriving home, I was greeted by "to wet then was it?"

At least that it is not as brutally cold as this time last year.

Hi all, I think we all must take advantage of lulls in the wind and rain,and put up with the cold.Otherwise we will have to wait until next May to fly.LoL. I have found with my one and only electric plane (Tom Wright's Twin Boom) that 2 quick fights when possible prevents withdrawal symptons. I think that these "fly and dash" electric sorties are grand for winter flying. Cheers.

Weather! Sleaty of mixed type, rainy snow, rainy hail (snow pellets) all being driven by a good blow. The hills they is getting white too, the up country cars passing with a good layer of snow on them.

Which minds me, that is why I did not go to the AGM of the Scottish Aeromodelers Association this year again. Three and a half to four hours drive each way, no contest, much as I would have liked to go.

Posted by flytilbroke on 04/12/2011 20:23:45:
Weather! Sleaty of mixed type, rainy snow, rainy hail (snow pellets) all being driven by a good blow. The hills they is getting white too, the up country cars passing with a good layer of snow on them.

Which minds me, that is why I did not go to the AGM of the Scottish Aeromodelers Association this year again. Three and a half to four hours drive each way, no contest, much as I would have liked to go.

Well we might be much further south than you FTB - but the weather is the same here - rain/sleet/hail and blowing hard. Very limited flying previous weekend, none at all this last weekend.

BEB

PS I'm beginning to get twitchy!