Wot 4 Foamie - New Motor Required

Ron Wylie

Advert

The original uses a 920kv 3536 motor.
A suitable replacement would be something like

You'll get a little more current draw due to the slightly higher kV but in my experience the kV ratings are rarely accurate so it may be exactly the same

The feedback looks good as well.

Edited By Ben B on 16/11/2011 09:52:48

I would think any of the ones mentioned will be slightly more powerful than the original - and there have been stories of the supplied ESC being weak, so you would be well advised to fit a larger unit - they are relatively cheap these days, and having a good 20% or more headroom on the ESC rating is never a bad thing.
Beware the upgrade path though...... some electric ( and IC for that matter ) just don't like too much power, and I have seen more than one modeller do the walk of shame to recover the wreckage after their massively overpowered model let go of something - usually the motor mounting or surrounding area.

I've read of people putting a 3542 motor in with a suitable (40-50A) esc, but you are limited by the battery size that will fit. The motor packed up on mine after a recent incident, so I've just put a GT2812 1060Kv in as the 3536 were out of stock at the time. I'd already fitted a 40A Hobbywing esc, now I need to play with props as it seems a bit tame with the new motor.

I think this motor is identical to one already recommended but it's half the price & IMO better quality than the slightly cheaper Turnigy/XYH with a thicker (5mm) shaft. I recently got one for a motor glider & checked it out at 250W on 3s driving a 10x6 folder. I wanted to use it with a 25A ESC so deliberately kept the current down to 21A by using a relatively small prop for glider. It should handle up to 30-35A used with a 40A ESC. Although it's stated as 920Kv I checked mine out at 1000Kv.

It's supplied with a collet type prop adapter, alloy X mount etc, male connectors are fitted with matching females for the ESC but annoyingly these were 4mm whereas 3.5mm is the normal standard.

• 11 months later...

I used a XYH 35 x 36 @ 1050kv motor from GC. £10.17. In my recent repair of my damaged Wot 4 foamie. it appears to have the same dimensions as the original motor but is much stronger and needed a 40 esc upgrade. the model climbs vertically now and carrys on until its a dot in the sky. I just glide her down gently and as a result can stretch flight times to 30 mins or so. This model should come with a motor such as this from new as standard as it is much more exciting but on the other hand can still be flown gently if you want too. Numbers are 11x8 prop. 410W @ 37A Really exciting to fly now.

Edited By Dean B on 25/10/2012 04:01:08

• 3 weeks later...

I fitted one of the XYH35x36 and a new 40A ESC to my Wot4 and on a well used 3S 2200mAh it flew OK but not any better than the original motor. The next time I flew it I used a new 2200mAh 3S nano-tech battery and cooked the motor after about 4 minutes (it smells burnt !). GS state that this motor is not suitable for the Wot4 Foamie and definitely not 11" props so be careful before you spend your money.

reply (edited) from GS

I think motor is rather small in terms of power output for a Wot 4. it's current rating of 25 amps equates to around just 262 watts. (25amps running current X an ON LOAD lipo voltage of about 10.5 volts)

What size prop was fitted? Its possibly been running far too hot, magnets may have become detached as a result, or the windings may be cooked. It's possible to use a larger diameter prop when operated with 2S lipo.

Did you measure the motor current with an all in one meter and the prop you fitted? I've seen the incredibly optimistic reviews regarding the use of 11 inch props for this small motor...they are wrong.

You may also find that your ESC has been damaged as a result of the motor drawing excessive current.(speculation)