Boeing B52 PSS Glider

Tim Mackey

Gradually trying to distract myself from things by getting the BUFF back on the bench, but its only going to be slow and small progress. Stiull, as they say, do a little bit every day, and one day its finished laugh

I changed ny mind a little on the radio install, and purchased one of the new AR9020 Xplus recivers, with 2 satellite receivers, together with a telemetry module and sensors. As the elevators are split with their own servos, and its a 4 servo wing, togehter with obviously rudder, and then tow release etc, I was struggling to get the contrils I wanted with the AR7000. I want to have fullspan (mixed ) flap to aileron, as well as camber/reflex, and crow on throttle stick, and fancy the altimeter feature of the telemetry. The TM1000 also features antenna performance monitoring for all three receivers. I have fitted aluminium tubing to the nose section, and made up 2 x 2p A123 sticks which are slid way inside up front to assist with COG.. A balance plug is fitted to the radio tray, and will also be the charge point. I fitted a main on/off switch at the rear of the wing seat area, easily accessed by simply removing the wing cover hatch.

I then tackled the joining of the two fus halves, and due to some discrepancies in the CNC cutting data, they didnt match very well, so a lot of sanding, filling and more sanding etc has got them looking good.

Radio all wired up and working on the 4 servos fitted so far ( el rud and tow rel ), but servo wiring yet to be tidied and fitted correctly. Next its onto building up the full nose section profile from 12mm balsa sheet, and then glassing the whole fus ready for painting, before tackling the wings.

Edited By Tim Mackey on 16/05/2012 22:58:57

Advert

Tim - I've just got myself an Airbrush (my sister used to be good when we were young 'uns). If you let me know when you want to do some test painting I'll probably have some practice by then, and will try to persuade SWMBO to let me come across to my birthland and do some painting.

Olly

Thanks chaps - encouragement is much appreciated at the moment yes

I had originally planned ( and was well on schedule to achieve ) a maiden flight at the first PSSA meet of the year, but the slippage will mean now that its more likely to be the last ( October ).

Although Ive already glassed/poly-c covered the rear section, and its had around 8 coats, Im still not convinced about its overall durability for slope use. Im now seriously considering splashing the cash and covering the lot with solartex, ready for a camo paint scheme - yes - I have changed my mind again - with some appropriate mumblings from Simon Cocker himself dissaproving of my earlier matt black scheme.

Also of course, solartex will not only add strength and scuff resistance, but is an almost instant finish compared to all that glassing and coating, sanding, and spraying. Im thinking maybe  green, and then black / tan sprayed camo.

Edited By Tim Mackey on 17/05/2012 23:44:21

As these schemes have a lot of black, maybe I should use black tex? - but anyone have any idea how well the green and brown will cover if sprayed on the blackfrown

I always assume that the base covering should be the lightest of the colours, with darker shades added.

Like I say, this stage is my least fav, give me a nice complex radio install anyday.

Then I guess the best would be to cover with the sand/tan but then very little of that would remain unpainted, and that adds more weight no

I think a fair compromise will be to use the lighter of the two green shades, and then paint on the tan, darker green, and finally the black. As the entire rear section and tail feathers are already glassed and coated, I think I may just paint these, leaving the covering to taper off as it reaches the L/edges of the feathers IYSWIM. This will help to keep weight off the back end -especially as the rear is predominantly blackso would need to be overpainted as well, its also going to be less fiddly than trying to get the covering right around all those edges and curves. Theres a rear gun/radar assembly to be made and attached yet too, and that would be almost impossible to cover with tex.

I think Im right in saying that matching paints are avaialble for the solartex range of colours?

Next off....who has the best prices on solartex - or is there an alternative tex covering?

Timbo

I painted some green Solartex parts on the topsides of my Puppeteer with matt beige Humbrol to sort of go with the natural linen colour Solartex on the undersides (together with struts / U/c fairings etc etc)Turned out OK with just one coat !

Useless bit of imformation I suppose 'cos I doubt you'll be using Humbrol the price it is and the area you have to cover sad

Welcome backthumbs up

Edited By Myron Beaumont on 18/05/2012 10:57:20

Posted by Matt Jones on 18/05/2012 10:41:15:

Dare I add that a lighter and smoother finish will be achieved with Solafilm, a wipe of Prymol and then paint? cheeky

Dunno Matt, TBH I've never painted over solar - anything before so I'm on a voyage of discovery. Tim will probally change his mind again so I'll wait before I devote time on research wink

As I say Tim, we can try some airbrushing if you want. I've got some off-cut black solar film and while I don't have camo I have some transparent colours I can try out - I need to practice a little before I spray mine anyway. If the weather is good this weekend (well sat pm) I will have a look at a trial and let you know how I get on.

Olly

I've got some Createx Airbrush paints, black and white opaque (none see through) which apparently don't blend with other colours - they are dominant if on top and dominated if underneath.

I also have transparent Red, Blue, Yellow and Green, all bright versions, and these will blend to give intermediate colours. I will need the paractice anyway, so will try some offcuts of black Solar film to see what effect I get. I will also be spraying on PolyC and Glass Cloth covered wings, base coat of white, followed by red or blue depending on which wing.

I also have camo coloured Tamiya Acrylics, which I might have a go with last, to see how they flow and look on the black solarfilm.

As I say tomorrow PM at best, I'll let you all know and get some photos up hopefully afterwards....

Thanks Olly - do let us know how you get on.

Right, some digging around in my stock of coverings has revealed two unopened rolls of guess what - satin solartex in olive drab !! Despite most retailers claiming the roll is 26" wide, its actually 27.5" and few calcs on a fag packet show that I can cover the whole model with 6 rolls. At £7 a roll, It seems logical to me to utilize this new found stock, and I then need to buy just £30 worth to do the lot, plus paint of course.