Boeing B52 PSS Glider

Tim Mackey

Advert

One thing to bear in mind - which I learnt in spades in my railway modelling days - nothing but nothing on this earth is black. No matter how black you think it is its actually a very very very dark grey, or even blue! But never black. With an aeroplane this is even more true because we see them "from afar" and the intervening atmosphere washes out the colours even more. So, for your B52 actually say 500m away to look the biz - ie like the full size say 2000m away - then you really do need to back off the "blackness" of the black!

BEB

PS And before Seamus posts pointing out that Father Ted said that priest's socks realy really were black - he was wrong!

I have to agree with Phill, After spending a lot of time, effort and money on this wonderful creation which was originally to fly at PSSA meetings have you lost sight of the fact that true PSSA is about trying to replecate a model of a real aeroplane sopported by Photgraphs? (and possibly drawings). I'm probably digging my own grave here (coz I know who will end up painting it ) but, "why spoil the ship for a happ'oth of tar"?
You have the Sqn Badge, why not stick with that Sqn colour scheme?

Edited By Marty Ball on 08/02/2012 11:02:24

Edited By Marty Ball on 08/02/2012 11:03:23

Ok, after much coffee and chat with Zaidy and Marty at the hangar today, I have decided to go for Matt Black - my ace painter Marty suggests that after the first light spraying, if its looking naff, we can sand it back, then go camo. I think .

Got the front fus halves joined last night, and did a bit more on the wing fixing.

I decided to make up some aluminium "top hats" on the lathe that would spread the load, as well as act as a guide for drilling down into the captive nut ply plate below.
Drilling holes through the wing panels for the 6 mm bolts didnt go well, and the veneer splintered a bit - but the top hat covers it
The captive nuts will be affixed at an angle to suit the bolts - the ply plate is also angled to reflect the wing profile.

Ive added a cross brace to strengthen the fus walls in the wing seat area, and this is PU glued into slots cut in the foam, and also a slot right through the ply spine, before the two halves, two formers, and spline are glued in place and left overnight. Here you can see the position of the brace, and the wing fixing plate spreader plates.

And this is what it will be like after gluing the lot in place.

Edited By Tim Mackey on 09/02/2012 17:25:02

And here's my apprentice balsha basher Zaidy and his efforts so far.
Being a mere nipper, and having been fed a diet of nothing but assembling helis, ( which of course as we know dont count as aeromodelling ) a Wildthing and a Luna ( both pretty much ARTFs ) I think, considering this is his first ever build of a model from nothing, he deserves a round of applause

Thank you all very much for the kind words, I wouldn't be at this stage if it wasn't for Tim's guidance and help and I am really looking forward to seeing both B52 fly on the Orme it will all be worth it at the end. Three weeks ago I was looking at Tim's back end ! of the B52 LOL thinking to myself I will never get this far! and I feel good about getting to this point hence, the huge grin on my mug...

I Have installed the servos and Bind the RX to the TX and all seem to be moving in the right direction.

Tim, just letting you know that the Balsa glueing worked really well, and now both sections are in their saddles. So in the next couple of days the should be glued nicely to the foam.