Boeing B52 PSS Glider

Tim Mackey

Advert

Whilst Ive got a couple of watchers, I need help. Im faffing around like an old woman with indecisive-itis over the scheme I was going to do THIS

But now I am leaning towards a matt black stealthy scheme.

Mainly cos I dont want it to look like the existing ones that we have in the PSSA, and also because it should be a doddle to do!

HELP

Well ..................... PSSA or not to PSSA!
Tim, does what ever you choose have to have been actully used in service?
Having decided that, the next thing is, after spending all this time (and money), and boring us all to death , I don't think it's a good idea to choose a colour scheme that may give you even the remotest chance of an orinentation issue! I am not challenging your skill or ability but this ain't exactly a bouncy wild thing! Zaidy would be a bit miffed if it ended up parked in his windscreen! (Don't worry about hitting the rest of us who fly with you ... we're all used to getting hit by your models! PMSL).
Well those are my thoughts.

Thanks for thoughts chaps - I especially like the grim moderator idea Pete
Interesting comment about visual appeal Matt - but this is a mean bombing machine and not necessarily something I want to like looking at IYSWIM , besides I would have thought MATT black would be right up your street LOL
As for Marty's comments - I doubt orientation will be a problem with this bird - Ive flown Simon's several times, and I can assure you, that 11 foot wing, and overall size and presence of the beast in the air really focusses the mind! I dont plan on performing too many aerobatics either, so having to know which way up it is shouldnt arise
Keep en coming guys - except the pink Mr Blobby style suggestions - Zaidy has reserved that for his.

I think its either one of the two shown and nowt else, so just need convincing which!

Posted by Keith Simmons on 07/02/2012 08:10:58:
Black as well, Yoy can hide any joints. About access, How about two half pieces for the nose, and slide it into the fuselage and clamp the front end by screwing it in? Your photo gave me that idea in your thread earlier over the nose profile. Just my thought,

Edited By Keith Simmons on 07/02/2012 08:11:53

I actually quite like that idea Keith - I just worry a little ( its my way ) that it may need all the rigidity and strength it can get in the nose area for the stress of aero-towing.
But at least that way, I could get the batteries right up front.

Edited By Tim Mackey on 07/02/2012 10:14:56

Tim, I know from the picture you showed me of a full size that the panels are not exactly smooth but black will show every blemish or imperfection. Having said that I LIKE black! My U2 us gonna be Black! my bike is Black! So, paint it BLACK mate coz it looks so menacing with ATTITUDE!
Do you remember the Grim Reaper I had on my Mustang? we could do that on the Buff!

Tim, you're right to have the nose as solid as possible. If for any reason the tow line goes slack during the tow then the resultant 'yank' can be quite violent, especially if it's off to one side which is usual as it tends to occur in turns. My suggestion is to make everything up front solid and bullet proof.

Colour in the air is a mixed topic. Much of the time you're looking at a silhouette so it doesn't make a difference what colour it is. You will aerobat it but lets be honest, at that size orientation won't be an issue. The only time you might want more to look at is when you're below cliff level looking down on it and for the resultant photos. I've never picked a scheme for any historic significance, just what I like the look of.

Also don't forget that if you get some decals / stickers for this that they much prefer a glossy surface for adhesion.

hehehe - this is an emotive subject - one where you'll never please everybody Tim - and Im sat here chuckling to myself that after all this brilliant design and building already complete and blogged on this fine forum - there is by far the most active period on the thread when we discuss 'What colour to paint it?'

The decision is of course yours only, my only request would be to please keep it scale and representative of a full size B-52 either past or present... (you'll score more points in any future PSS comps that way!)

Enjoying the build, looking great, keep up the good work!!

Yes, Im acutely aware that the paint job will make or break it .
I quite like the wavy line....and of course the underside in white is the anti flash coating which would, of course, have completely protected the crew from the effects of that humungous nuclear bomb they had just dropped in someones garden
Either of the two schemes wold be authentic, and having done a lot of researching into the BUFFs, it seems that they were done, at one time or another over their very long history, in almost every colour imaginable!
Anyhow, I am on target to be completed, and ready for painting in about 4 to 5 weeks time, but by then, my airbrushing pal ( hiya Marty ) will be back at sea for his next shift, so it will be 8 weeks before I need to make the final decision.
All good feedback chaps, and it does help honest.

I thought the B52 I saw flying along the Duddon estuary (Cumbria), some 30 years back was plain grey. Looked impressive to me.

I think some feel as I do, maximum visibility is one of my priorities now. In one of my Bipolar moments recently (joke, no offense meant) , I said to myself, thank God, I ensured that the underside contrasted strongly with the top, as I had doubts which way the model was going. It seems more of an issue this time of year, with a low sun, generally flat grey sky, with little brightness to provide contrast. Just the sort of weather I am sure that Druids, when they flocked to Wales were seeking (it wasn't fleeing Romans, I am sure). Or is Llandudno different?