Funtana 125 Maiden and Defective landing gear

gazzazh

This is the maiden flight for my funtana 125.. On approch and after landing.. there was a cross wind.. when i came to correct... the wind pushed the wings and the landing gear came off.. It was not the right way to correct but definatly not strong enough to break the landing gear .. see for yourself and let me know what you think. http://youtu.be/BJRlQmhVm-8

Every time i try to add a youtube video.. its says can't find page?? 
Cheers

Edit CB - video corrected.  Please read tutorial here for adding videos.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 16/07/2012 22:19:05

Advert

I have the 120 funtana and that to suffered the same problem. it appears with some models glue on the joints is an optional extra. I am only glad the same company does not make full size!!!
It is a great model other wise I love mine i goes where i want it and can fly way beyond my abilities. So much easier than a trainner but then it is abit more expensive!!

Hi Gaz,

Its a great model indeed, but for a company such as Horizon Such mistakes should not exist.. I am not saying a made the best landing in the world.. It was not a great landing at all.. but it was not hard as well... I tried to correct while on the runway.. and BUffff... Landing gear is gone....

Posted by Steve W-O on 28/11/2011 05:16:29:
Very surprised to see the wheels fall off.

Wouldn't be any good for me, I often land sideways, would be off on the first landing. (Well, that's what happened anyway, so I must remember never to consider one )

HI Steve, I totally agree... its disappointing for a company such as H9 to produce a kit with such a flaw.. but then again.. maybe someone in china was a bit sleepy..

Cheers,

Yep, always worth checking.....lack of glue, poor wood & downright bad design means your undercarriage can depart on a less than perfect landing......or even on a perfect one in some cases.....

Copious use of epoxy glue & triangular fillets are recommended if possible or the application of some glass cloth & epoxy around the U/C mounting is very worthwhile. I also think its worth adding a "weak link" in the form of nylon U/C bolts if possible. I had an Extra that used 4 x M6 metal bolts to affix the U/C....it was always pulling the mounting plate off so I fixed it with epoxy & birch ply......next time I ran off the patch & into the long grass it took out a lump of fuselage....there was obviously no way those bolts were gonna let go & the forces merely sought out the next weak point.....

It is a trade . Either the uc gives or it rips off the complete under side. I have repaired mine and since been having so much fun. The elevator and rudder hinges are now tired and will be replaced. This modelis heavily used and is prob 6 years old. It was the fibre hinge which had come loose will pin the new ones as wellllll

I used radio south ca hinges on all the controlls. I hope the will hold. I also sent horizon the video and waiting for their reply. I have a pulse 60 from H9 that I have abused for many years and never had a problem. With the funtana it's defiantly a manufacturing defect. I would understand if this happened after at least 30 flights but not on the first one.

• 7 months later...

Mine has died. After replacing the elevator and stabiliser . Checked all out pinned, and taped . Trimming in flight and settled into smooth circuits . Nothing aerobatic just smooth left and rights then,boom tail foutail gone. Now llooking for a frame to fit radio and 120 four stroke. I did enjoy the plane and it was not a complete right off but I think it's about knowing I got away lightly with the tired airframe and wood,covering etc will be more thana replacement

I too love my H9 Funtana x100, flies like it's on rails and is the same airframe as the H9 Funtana 125 (the only difference is the covering).

Hanger 9 Funtana X100

Had to replace the undercarriage last year as the carbon fibre legs split and failed on a heavy dead stick landing, now replaced with the newer alloy landing gear legs from the 125.

Hangar9 Funtana X100

She flew again this Sunday but got damaged in the pits when a flying wing crashed.
Anyone got a right side wing?

MMMh It depends on how damaged your wing is??? The right wing ( as viewed from the rear ) is the one with damage to the leading edge and ribs the left one(as viewed from the rear) has a few punctures and damage to the tip . Fuse is a no go as i have already stripped it out and the engine mount was U/S and the tail was N/A.

Posted by Gaz Elliott on 16/07/2012 14:52:37:

MMMh It depends on how damaged your wing is??? The right wing ( as viewed from the rear ) is the one with damage to the leading edge and ribs the left one(as viewed from the rear) has a few punctures and damage to the tip . Fuse is a no go as i have already stripped it out and the engine mount was U/S and the tail was N/A.

Hi GAZ,

So sorry to hear about your accident. The funtana is a great plane.. the power 2 wight ratio is really amazing.. its very light and flies great.. I have noticed to issues on my funtana, first as you can see from my previous posts.. the landing gear ( Shame on horizin) They did send me a new fuselage.. after debating with their tech support for weeks.. another thing is the ( it likes to fly tail heavy and will alwyas bubble on landings..) i have noticed that triming it that way is almost impossible.. its will either ballon up.. or go down.. the only solution was to add more weight to the nose.. which fixed the issue of balloning on landings.. Hope you can post some pics of the damage..

Cheers

Thanks for looking Gaz thumbs up, these wings are now discontinued and completely out of stock.

My right wing (as viewed from the rear) has damage to the end (tip) leading edge and where the side force generators attach.

I'm probably going to have to peel back the film and repair, could have been worse I guess.
I was hoping to pick up another wing as trying to find spare time for the rebuild is going to take me weeks to complete a days work.

Another issue with this model ( the 125) is UV rays yellowing the the printed graphics, living in Scotland and the weather were having this "summer" I have to be really careful with mine!.

Gaz thanks for the heads up on this weak point, I'll be looking at this when I assemble mine. Its sleeping in the loft waiting for my flying skills to improve.

John

I did a perfect first landing with my BH T-26 Trojan. Full flap zero airspeed touchdown with no roll and no bounce. Both legs pulled out when I taxied back. No glue at all, just a small blob of glue and no reinforcement or gussets to spread the load. Now put gussets and loads of epoxy. Only a massive crash will remove my u/c!

Edited By Paul Marsh on 16/07/2012 20:38:23