January 2012 issue

Steve W-O

Advert

I didn't delete it SOL - but as you insist on repeating it again... this time I have deleted it.
This forum's guidelines are quite clear on this sort of thing - if you wouldnt say something to a persons face, then dont say it on here either.
Defamatory opinions about another person are not welcome, simple.

Edited By Tim Mackey on 29/12/2011 17:47:09

Posted by Tim Mackey on 29/12/2011 17:46:28:
I didn't delete it SOL - but as you insist on repeating it again... this time I have deleted it.
This forum's guidelines are quite clear on this sort of thing - if you wouldnt say something to a persons face, then dont say it on here either.
Defamatory opinions about another person are not welcome, simple.

Edited By Tim Mackey on 29/12/2011 17:47:09

I would be perfectly happy to say it to his face actually. And if you consider what I said defamatory, then, with all due respect, I don't think you understand the meaning of the word.

Regards
Tony Jones

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Admin on 29/12/2011 17:50:59:
I deleted it Seamus and you know the drill. As Tim says, it's quite simple - we welcome feedback of all sorts (and we like criticism) but not blatant rudeness. There are plenty of ways to make a point without resorting to that sort of thing.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 29/12/2011 18:00:34

On reflection David it was probably best you deleted it before Mr Whittaker had a chance to read it. Can't risk RCME's most frequent contributor suffering a nervous breakdown, can we.

Regards
Tony

Posted by Tim Mackey on 29/12/2011 18:12:56:
OK Tony, enough eh.
Accepted. My reply to David was posted before I saw this.

So may I ask a genuine question: What was the point of the article showing the chaotic state of Alex Whittaker's shed? On occasion - when he isn't playing the role of 'Just the average club flier, me', he purports to be an expert on a variety of aeromodelling subjects. Showing us the disastrous conditions of his workplace is hardly likely to do his reputation - and by association - that of the magazine in a good light is it?

Genuinely mystified,
Tony.

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Admin on 29/12/2011 17:50:59:
I deleted it Seamus and you know the drill. As Tim says, it's quite simple - we welcome feedback of all sorts (and we like criticism) but not blatant rudeness. There are plenty of ways to make a point without resorting to that sort of thing.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 29/12/2011 18:00:34

David/Tim
I didnt make the initial remarks, (but got an email as I bookmarked the thread like everyone else)
and as I was quoted in the comment I am getting confused with TJ's comments.
Whether I agree with them or not is immaterial.

No confusion here Seamus - I know you were only quoting TJ.

Tony.... youre probably right - I shouldn't have used the word defamatory - but I think we know what I was getting at .
Anyway, as to Alex's shed - I have seen many a modellers retreat as bad or worse than that LOL.
Couldn't be doing with it m'self, I'm more your OCD type .

Tony

You've contributed to RCM&E yourself in the past and you're a writer and journalist I think I'm right in saying. I'm not interested in whether you'd say that to Alex's face, that's not the point here (as you're well aware). There are plenty of places on the web for rudeness but not here and a clever man like Tony Jones is perfectly able to express himself without the need for that

Anyway, what do you mean 'disastrous conditions'? You think we should perform spot checks on our contributor workshops, just in case they're getting a bit untidy? You're volunteering for the role right?

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Admin on 29/12/2011 18:57:34:
Tony

You've contributed to RCM&E yourself in the past and you're a writer and journalist I think I'm right in saying. I'm not interested in whether you'd say that to Alex's face, that's not the point here (as you're well aware). There are plenty of places on the web for rudeness but not here and a clever man like Tony Jones is perfectly able to express himself without the need for that

Anyway, what do you mean 'disastrous conditions'? You think we should perform spot checks on our contributor workshops, just in case they're getting a bit untidy? You're volunteering for the role right?

Hello David

OK - if you and Tim both consider that my remarks constituted rudeness, then I withdraw them. They seem to have touched a very delicate spot.

On the second point, I'm obviously NOT suggesting that you conduct spot checks on your contributors' workshops. What I don't understand is why anyone - let alone a technical contributor - whose workshop is in the state Alex's is in, would voluntarily publicise the fact. Perhaps he finds it amusing? Or Is he trying to elicit our sympathy? In which case, for me, he failed completely on both counts I'm afraid. But then I am a fully certified GOM these days.

Best wishes
Tony

Posted by wayne drinkwater on 29/12/2011 19:32:05:
January 2012 issue!!! I wont get to see that issue down under until at least March 2012
So I cannot comment only wait with anticipation!!!!!!
How come Wayne? Surely it must be possible to get the mag to you quicker that that? Even if it goes by sea it shouldn't take that long...

Regards
Tony Jones

, not everyone subscribes . wayne possibly gets his book from the news agent.. my RCME usually arrives before these latest posts are started.
One question . why does a tidy workshop make a difference.
many a great project has come from a less than ideal shed. and if one is very busy then time to clean isnt a priorty until saftey is involved.

good job with RCME again .

Edited By kiwi g on 29/12/2011 20:36:34

Posted by kiwi g on 29/12/2011 20:34:20:
, not everyone subscribes . wayne possibly gets his book from the news agent.. my RCME usually arrives before these latest posts are started.
One question . why does a tidy workshop make a difference.
many a great project has come from a less than ideal shed. and if one is very busy then time to clean isnt a priorty until saftey is involved.

good job with RCME again .

Edited By kiwi g on 29/12/2011 20:36:34

Ah, yes. I had assumed he was a subscriber. But I'm surprised the newsagents don't get their copies until 2 or 3 months after the UK publication date. I thought all printed material travelled by airmail these days.

As for workshop tidiness, I'm sure any Formula 1 or aviation facility would be happy to explain. And if you took your new BMW or Mercedes to have it serviced and glimpsed a dirty, untidy, badly organised workshop through an open door, would you feel confident in them doing a good job on your car?

Regards
Tony Jones

Well Stephen, I may have got it completely wrong. To check it out with people far more knowledgeable than me, next time you are passing, call in and explain to the service managers that they are wasting a whole load of time and money in keeping their facilities well organised and spotless because the customers really don't care. And please let us all know what their replies are.

Regards
Tony Jones

We are talking of a private persons worksite not a commercial workshop.
Like in my trade the reason for commercial cleanliness is for OSH reasons . I would bet that up until the late seventies your average workshop was a grungy little garage servicing cars as good as they do today . However once occupational saftey kicked in these workshops needed cleaning. .

Last question ,. does the workshop mentioned produce commercial model aircraft and employ staff ??

If not then the owner can work in it however he likes. .

Posted by kiwi g on 29/12/2011 22:29:53:
We are talking of a private persons worksite not a commercial workshop.
Like in my trade the reason for commercial cleanliness is for OSH reasons . I would bet that up until the late seventies your average workshop was a grungy little garage servicing cars as good as they do today . However once occupational saftey kicked in these workshops needed cleaning. .

Last question ,. does the workshop mentioned produce commercial model aircraft and employ staff ??

If not then the owner can work in it however he likes.

Indeed he can Kiwi G. But whenever I read technical features written by this gentleman in the future I will bear in mind that that is the environment in which he chooses to work. And I remain convinced that cleanliness, organisation and tidiness are great aids to quality - not just burdens imposed on us by the 'elf 'n safety' mafia.

What do others think?