Why laser cut when you can scissor cut?

Steve W-O

Cutting out ribs must be one of the biggest justifications for my B. Proc. degree

Printed out the ribs for the Linnet,stuck them onto the 1/16 sheet, and instead of using a knife, cut them out with scissors. Much quicker and easier!

Very slight "crushing", but hardly noticeable and will be covered with capping strips anyway.

Advert

Must try that on the "Queen" if I get round to building her.....

Especially as I'm thinking of makig the 1/8" ribs by laminating 2 pieces of 1/16" together. Save's spending money....

Mental note - don't use SWMBO's Sewing Scissors, or they'll be used on me....when blunt.

Edited By Olly P on 20/12/2011 14:41:53

Posted by Myron Beaumont on 20/12/2011 16:53:32:
If you are capable of holding the blade (a sharp one of course )at right angles to the wood and travelling the right way with the grain of the piece so that it doesn't drift off course then I don't see why you should use scissors .Do you use garden shears for cutting plywood I wonder ?
Myron YO13 proper engineering dept

Garden shears? No, don't be silly, I use a 200cc petrol angle grinder for the fine cuts, and a 4' chain saw for roughing out, much more effective.

I was taught to make scarf joints on ply skin repairs on full sized wooden gliders with a 5 inch angle grinder (admittedly with an abrasive sheet disc rather than a grinding disc) so you're not that far off the mark.

A mitre saw with whopping great carbide teeth cuts balsa beautifully athough I haven't tried it on smaller than 1/4 sheet. 

Edited By Martin Harris on 20/12/2011 17:36:04

Posted by Martin Harris on 20/12/2011 17:31:41:
I was taught to make scarf joints on ply skin repairs on full sized wooden gliders with a 5 inch angle grinder (admittedly with an abrasive sheet disc rather than a grinding disc) so you're not that far off the mark.

A mitre saw with whopping great carbide teeth cuts balsa beautifully athough I haven't tried it on smaller than 1/4 sheet.

Edited By Martin Harris on 20/12/2011 17:36:04

When I was building a KR2, I made the scarf joints with a circular sander, and lapped them in with G100 glued back to back.

I haven't tried a cut off saw on balsa, interesting idea

Posted by Steve W-O on 20/12/2011 17:18:38:
Forgot to add, I follow proper engineers procedure, measure with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, and cut it with.................well the chain saw and angle grinder of course, have to copy the engineers!
What you don't use a bread knife - coward !
BB

Posted by BB on 20/12/2011 18:49:29:
Posted by Steve W-O on 20/12/2011 17:18:38:
Forgot to add, I follow proper engineers procedure, measure with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, and cut it with.................well the chain saw and angle grinder of course, have to copy the engineers!
What you don't use a bread knife - coward !
BB

I wouldn't say so on a public forum, I will have the Balsa Welfare knocking on my door, quoting a whole lot of H&E regs and balsa abuse regs, threatening to lock me up and take my balsa into care.