Delta wing I/C model

Christopher Mayers

Advert

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 21/12/2011 23:26:13:
I built the old SAS Delta a few years back (irvine 46) and when i bought it they said it was one of the last ones.

Weston UK do a IC delta ARTF, but I can't think of any kits.

Building from plans you could consider the 362
An excellent suggestion Frank ,the 362 is a beautiful aeroplane to fly.

Tom (A friend of Peter Russell)

Anyone have any knowledge of the 'THING'?? A one metre span delta type with simple box fus slung below trhe wing. I had a '25 powered version until recently when it became a victim of a dead battery. I'm told that someone, somewhere does occasional batches of kits??

Any leads would be much appreciated.

stu k

Edited By stu knowles on 22/12/2011 09:55:09

Hello Alan,
Yes mate,I'd be pleased to get any info. I'm sure there was a comment about this model on one of the forums, but which, when and what was said, I've no idea, at that time, I didn't need a replacement.

I've had mine for 10 years on more, bought on a 'Model Shop Safari' to Blackburn models, (hanging up in the shop), and since then it has had three engines, each getting a bit bigger, and it became my fave, cold weather model, just lift out of the car, fuel, fling, fly, and off home again to thaw out. and Fast!!, up there with the best of them.

Really gutted when it went in.

so yes all info to track down another appreciated. I have googled but not found anything.
Cheers
stu k

Just to let everyone know -

I have been speaking to a kit manufacturer in the USA who makes a delta model call Wild Wiz..

This delta is available in both 0.25 and 0.40 sizes.

He is currently putting together a price to ship the kits to the UK.

If anyone would have an interest in ordering i would be happy to chuck in and see if we can do a deal with him.

I will post on hear a price for the kits and then we can discuss postage.

These kits are not available over here from what i can see.

Edited By Christopher Mayers on 22/12/2011 17:07:58

Posted by Alan 4 on 22/12/2011 23:22:55:
all the SAS foam wingers are owned by Wes Braithwaite, formelry of Lancaster models, now semi retired, and working from home, he can be found on ebay, or this link production of the thing and sas starjet delta is to be resumed in the new year, we flew for Wes at a fews shows, the models are simple build, and all fly very well

That is good to know, as my SAS Star Delta (in the pic) has now gone to the great hanger in the sky, and I've wanted to build another. Looks like I'll get my wish
Steve

Posted by flytilbroke on 23/12/2011 21:51:01:
Not knowing what you fancy as to size,,, Northstar. The plans are still about on some of the forums, do a search. The Kits are still done as far as I know and even better, they can be used on both land and water. On the water they excel.

or on a smaller scale try a Google search for the Polaris, it's a foam scale model of the Northstar for electric power and flies a treat.

• 7 months later...

img00217-20120824-1935.jpg

Hello Gents,

Thanks to Al C and this thread I was able to track down a new kit for a 1 metre 'Thing' which I test flew just before the light totally faded last night. It flew well although this is NOT a model for poor light - too small - too fast!!

Mine is slightly over powered with a Leo 37. Its a great all weather flier.

Cheers Al, thanks for the contact

stu k

Hello Stephen,

It's a glass finish using pond sealer and then painted. It was a bit of a try out for something else, I wanted to see just how little resin I could get away with and how light it could be done. There are a couple of patches where the cloth wave is still visible but it was a useful exercise.

The colour scheme is taken from the Lancaster Models web site. When you decide to look for a kit If you get no response from the web site then Allan C who contributes knows Wes who produces the kits. I think that it is a bit of a one man band, I had to wait for mine but he did come good and deliver as promised.

If you have an OS FSR in yours I imagine that the performance is similar to mine, PDQ!

Hi Stu ,

Mine was clocked by the Police at 150mph wink .

I was a bit worried when two police vans turned up and a load of police men got out and watched .

One Copper asked me to do a high speed low pass and clocked it with his Raydar Gun .

Was kinda fun to see a load of coppers jumping up and down like school Kids . cool