Band saw by power line-burgess model BBS-20 mark 2

Elkana Jacobson

I
recently received a band saw by power line-burgess model BBS-20 mark 2

Does
anyone happen to have its manual?

Does
anybody have any instructions on how to set the blade?

Unfortunately
I don't have the blade and belt and would like to know what is the blade size -
length, width, thickness, number of teeth?

What
are the sizes of the belt?

Is it
possible to buy the plastic ring the saw passes through?

Is
it possible to purchase any or all of these items?

I would
love to have websites or phone numbers of stores, and will appreciate any help.

Does
anybody happen to know where was the band saw manufactured?

Thank
you very much

Elkana

Advert

Sounds like an ALDI special? - and unfortunately, "Powerline" have gone bust, and I think it may be the same organisation so you may be struggling here .

However, you mention Burgess in the name also, so Im a little confused as to exactly what it is. Can you post a picture of the thing, or maybe the nameplate /ID label etc?

Edited By Tim Mackey on 27/12/2011 09:27:32

No, not Aldi. Burgess is a well known make from Sapcote Leicestershire and they were using the Burgess Powerline name back in 1970's then  became Record some years ago. Blades for this model are a standard length which will be available from Axminster Power Tools ( also they make any size )  Burgess BBS 3.4 & 5 use 54.5 inch blades while BK 1, 2 & 3 use 56.5 inch blades according to a 1993 Record catalogue.
There is an american book Bandsaws Handbook or something probably by Patrick Spielman & published by Sterling which tells you how to adjust any bandsaw.

Edited By kc on 27/12/2011 10:42:27

Edited By kc on 27/12/2011 10:52:07

The blade length for BBS20 mark 2 is shown as 1435 mm in the Axminster 2011 catalogue while the BBS 20 is slightly different at 1448. This catalogue also advises on blade selection for different materials. ( free, phone for a copy)
Dont expect too much from any small 3 wheel bandsaw but his would be as good as any small cheap modern Asian model I would think. OK for aeromodelling light stuff but not really any good for carpentry work.  Worth spending the 8 pounds for a blade if everything seems to work and its complete with  a fence on the table.  Probably spares would be available from Record Power as it's a popular model made for decades.

Edited By kc on 27/12/2011 11:14:42

I have both an original Burgess BK1 and a Powerline BK2.
For what they are both are very useful machines and with care can cut quite thick wood.

Getting the blade to run true and properly supported is quite an art (there are many things to adjust) but when you do it cuts very well.

3 wheel bands saws have a relatively deep throat but use small diameter wheels so the blade has to flex quite a bit which can reduce their life. The chances are the blade will break from fatigue before they become blunt.

No longer in production so, apart from belts and blades, spares are difficult.

Thank you all for answering and helping.

Since you have a similar device would you be kind enough to
help me in the following questions?

What is the right length of the blade in the catalogues it
is written the length 1435 mm. I gave the device to a repair shop and they
installed a 1446 mm length blade. What would be the correct length or does this
device allow all sizes between these measures?

What is the thickness
of the material it is made of?

In the device I got the 4 wheels (stoppers) are not
connected to the body of the device.

Would it be possible to have a picture, drawing, explanation
on how they should be attached, connected?

Does the blade on its back side need to pass through the
slot of the iron wheel?

In my country it is difficult to manufacture 0.014 inch
blades, I can manufacture iron wheels identical to those I have, in which there
will be a slot that will allow 0.025 blades to pass trough. Would it harm or be
problematic for the device to work properly?

Do you happen to own a user manual?

Thank you very much for your help

Elkana

• 1 month later...

Hi, I was a rep for Burgess Products (Sapcote, Leicestershire) in the late 60s and 70s. The BBS20 in those days cost about £25.00. We sold thousands of them. It was a great machine, and like many Burgess Products it was well ahead of its time, both in design and inovation. It had its foibles though. Throwing its blade being the worst of them. There was a knack to setting one up properly though, and once done they worked very well. One tip; Once a curve has been cut with a bandsaw blade theset of the teeth changes. This makes it almost impossible to make a straight cut with a guide, and this has to be done by hand, giuding material through at an angle. When I worked for the company in those days, if a customer had problems we would visit them and fix any problems they had. Can you imagine service like that these days?

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is nearly 40 years old and is still used more often than any other power tool I have. I don't have the manual,but I can measure the blade length and width for you.

I don't use the guide - all done by hand to pencil/pen/scribed lines. If you find a blade, get a metal cutting blade - it will happily cut fibreglass sheet (PCB material), brass, copper, aluminium, mild steel up to about 16swg, but take it very slowly. It wont cut piano wire though - use a grinder.

I haven't had a problem with throwing blades, but it doesn't like tight corners, this will break the blade, although my current blade is now 15 years old.

It is superb for cutting balsa block and thick sheet, quite accureately if you make sure the table is level (it can be tilted).

Martyn

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you very much to all of you who answered my questions!

I will be happy to receive a copy of the manual by e-mail or snail mail.

[email protected]

Since I am a complete rookie in this field any information I can get is a tremendous help.

In Israel there is no option of getting parts and almost impossible to get any information so I will be more than grateful (as you all are novice), if you could answer some of my questions.

Thank you for the source where I can purchase blades for the saw… is the right size 1435/56.5 or 57 as one of the writers mentioned?

Which blades should I buy? Width, no of teeth, manufacturer?

Basically I am planning of making small accessories and wooden toys for my grandchildren, a child chair and such and not “real” heavy furniture. The materials I will be using are 21mm plywood, wood up to 50mm thick and soft metal pipes about 10mm and materials thinner than 1mm.

Can I buy and where can I buy the plastic disk the blade passes through and the fence or stopper that sets the distance and angle of cutting?

What is the size of the belt that starts the machine (the belt of the engine)? Where can I purchase it?

Thank you again for all your previous help and any additional help, and more than that thank you for willing to assist.

Since you all wrote and answered I looked into some of the companies who sell saws and unfortunately they do not ship oversees. Would you know of another source who does?

Sincerely

Elkana

Thank you very much to all of you who answered my questions!

I will be happy to receive a copy of the manual by e-mail or snail mail.

[email protected]

Since I am a complete rookie in this field any information I can get is a tremendous help.

In Israel there is no option of getting parts and almost impossible to get any information so I will be more than grateful (as you all are novice), if you could answer some of my questions.

Thank you for the source where I can purchase blades for the saw… is the right size 1435/56.5 or 57 as one of the writers mentioned?

Which blades should I buy? Width, no of teeth, manufacturer?

Basically I am planning of making small accessories and wooden toys for my grandchildren, a child chair and such and not “real” heavy furniture. The materials I will be using are 21mm plywood, wood up to 50mm thick and soft metal pipes about 10mm and materials thinner than 1mm.

Can I buy and where can I buy the plastic disk the blade passes through and the fence or stopper that sets the distance and angle of cutting?

What is the size of the belt that starts the machine (the belt of the engine)? Where can I purchase it?

Thank you again for all your previous help and any additional help, and more than that thank you for willing to assist.

Since you all wrote and answered I looked into some of the companies who sell saws and unfortunately they do not ship oversees. Would you know of another source who does?

Sincerely

Elkana