'Stick-on' balancing weights

Prop Nut

Needing some stick-on weights, recently, an internet search threw up some that are 4 x 5gms and 4 x 10gms on an adhesive backing, which most model retailers price at around £4 for three strips. Postage can be quite eye-watering as, by definition, weights are weighty! (A well-known online model shop charges £3.50 for 3-5 day delivery). However, I found an Ebay supplier marketing the identical item as motorcycle/car wheel weights (though he also includes model aircraft in the body of his listing) at £5.69 for ten strips, with free First Class postage, a saving of around two-thirds! I ordered one day and received them the next. His Ebay member ID is budgettyres, or you can search for 'stick on wheel weights'.

Tyre depot for me to.
Slip a lad a couple of Her Majesty's finest and come away with a pocket full.
I do tend to wick a bit of cyano as a back up to the adhesive tape, never had one fall off, yet.

Phil

I melt mine down into a circular mold (two bits of mdf which I clamped in a vice and drilled into along the joint line). Then with the same drill, I drill into the model (somewhere not structural), then a bit of epoxy, glue them in flush with the surface. A bit of trim then goes over the hole to hide the end.

If you need a lot of weight, say to balance a war bird check out diving weights on eBay.

Funy how sometimes modelers can be helped by other hobbies.

Now diving weights are heavy and are only any good for those who are looking for a lot of weight, but I have a club mate who needs about a kilo on the front of his fairly large hurricane, and I reckon a 1kg lead weight for about ?7 is one of the easiest ways of fixing that kind of mass at the front of a plane. A few chunky cable ties should fix it easily given the shape.

Also real lead shot is surprisingly cheap when bought for diving purposes if you want to melt it to make your own shapes.

It is odd that lead is readily available to divers but not modellers. I reckon that the reason that we are not allowed to buy real lead from the model suppliers has to do with model equipment being classed as toys by the powers that be. Either that or they reckon we can't be trusted not to put it in our mouths!

Edited By GrahamC on 06/01/2012 23:20:00

Edited By GrahamC on 06/01/2012 23:32:52

Working repairing full-size propellers, we use 'lead wool' stuffed up the bore for balance.
Not the most convenient for models, it needs to be compressed firmly or else little pieces drop keep coming off, however Occupational Health and Safety told us at work never to touch it with bare hands, and always wash-up after. Never had it in a model since and
now just use the steel stick-on weights mentioned. As for melting, the fumes are toxic too.

Fishing sinkers come cheap in all sizes, and we used to play with them as kids! My liver
probably needs all the help it can get.

For those that want to melt a bit down budget brands of air rifle pellets are cheap and easily available on the high street.
i've just weighed half a tin of .22 caliber and it's 10 oz,so for about 6 quid you should get about a pound of lead in small easy melted peices.

Edited By Del Wheatley on 07/01/2012 01:57:51

Posted by Del Wheatley on 07/01/2012 01:30:28:
For those that want to melt a bit down budget brands of air rifle pellets are cheap and easily available on the high street.
i've just weighed half a tin of .22 caliber and it's 10 oz,so for about 6 quid you should get about a pound of lead in small easy melted peices.

Edited By Del Wheatley on 07/01/2012 01:57:51

and if it doesn't work, you can always shoot yourself...........................

I have a nice large stock of remeltable to any shape/size lead piping, from my house, removed 1981 and still plenty stashed away down the bottom of the garden!

BTW, if filling a nose, much easier to make pellets by dropping into water (and safely keeping your distance of course), then using epoxy to hold in place.

Just dug an old recently inherited gliders pelleted ballast out of a nose to motorise it, been there OK 40 years plus ....held in by plasticine!!

• 1 year later...
Posted by Reno Racer on 06/01/2012 19:57:24:
As piece of mind I also drill through and then screw the weights onto my planes.

The reason being that in use they are secured by centrifugal force exerting on the weight, forcing it towards the inside of the wheel rim.

A 30 gram weight held on by the flimsy tape supplied will give when subjected to a high G turn.

They are fit for the intended purpose of use as wheel balance weights, but in time the elements will weaken the tape...

Do you feel lucky...

David