E-Flite Mig 15 UMX with AS3X

Allan Bowker

Advert

Based on the swept-wing jet fighter that launched aerospace into a new performance realm, E-flite® brings an RC ducted fan with true jet performance you can fly almost anywhere. Its appearance is stunning with crisp scale features like a near exact outline, cockpit interior and surface details as authentic as it gets. Its DSMX® control system offers the utmost in precision plus the versatility of a full working rudder and proportional nose wheel steering. To make every flight rock solid, onboard AS3X™ System technology will have you believing that you're at the controls of a giant-scale model, even in moderate winds.

• High-output E-flite 28mm Delta-V® 180m EDF system
• AS3X System for ultra-smooth handling and precision
• Four-channel control including scale working rudder and nose wheel
• Fully engineered intake and exhaust ducting for maximum thrust
• High-speed brushless inrunner ducted fan motor, 11750Kv
• Near perfect scale outline, authentic detail, and graphics
• Includes high-power 2S Li-Po battery and fast charger
• Removable landing gear includes simulated gear doors
• Full Range 4+ Channel DSM2™/DSMX Aircraft Transmitter Required

Wingspan: 16.2 in (412mm)
Length: 15.9 in (402mm)
Wing Area: 53.5 sq in (3.45 sq dm)
Flying Weight: 2.75 oz (77.5g)

It does sound an incredibly hot motor David but I guess it's only on 2S and is very small. So may not be a typo?

Can anyone get better shots form the vid than these efforts?

Sounds an interesting concept, I'll be watching closely.
Of course when the price is announced I'll be put off, thinking of what else I could buy with the same money...

I know what you mean David, that KV does seem high, I guess we will have to wait and see.

Chris, your video still captures are very good, I couldn't obtain any that were better or any different, nice work.

Olly, the spec says that it's removable gear.

I doubt I will be buying one, I'm currently working on a 75" secret project myself.

Edited By Allan Bowker on 17/01/2012 12:16:40

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Admin on 17/01/2012 08:48:27:
Looks interesting, a micro EDF eh?

Do you think they really mean 11750Kv?

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 17/01/2012 08:51:16

Having heard it in the video I also don't think that 11750kV unreasonable, particularly given the diameter of the fan is only 28mm.

Very rough calculation:
11750kV x 7.4v x 80% = approx 69,000 rpm

Pete

Reply from a question to David Payne at HH on Lipo size and pricing:
The battery is the 2S 200 25c. It is the same battery as the UMX Gee Bee and the UM Stryker. The flight time are 3.5min+ just depending on how you treat the throttle stick.... The MiG has a wide speed range. It is just as comfortable flying slow as it is flying fast.

Pricing will be similar to our other AS3X equiped models.

David Payne
Horizon Hobby

• 5 months later...

I recently, on a whim, bought one of the new E-Flite MiG 15 micro foam models. I'm not really a fan of either very small models or foam, but I bought this one for two reasons:

1) A very good review in another magazine (sorry!)

2) I wanted to see just how effective the AS3X technology really is

So, with a day off work today, light wind and NO RAIN, I took it to the patch. Blimey, I am not kidding you, this is one impressive little model!! It flies as straight and true as a die and genuinely does fly like a much larger model. Speed is not at all bad and it will fly a good range of maneouvres. Landing it is a doddle, as slow-speed handling is superb.

I'm generally a bit cynical about manufacturers' claims but if this little model is anything to go by then HH really have worked wonders with AS3X. It;s uncanny hearing the servos chattering away as you move the model once the AS3X is "armed".

By the time it had its last flight of the day the breeze was a bit stronger and a bit gusty, but the MiG just shrugged it off. I am going to LOVE flying this little beauty!!

I must say, finally, that I have absolutely nothing to do with any dealer, in case you think this is an advertisement! I just think praise where praise is due, and Horizon Hobby really have excelled in this one.

Tim.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 10/07/2012 08:35:29

I'd love the Mig, to add to my Carbon Cub and Sbach UMX hanger.... The Sbach hasn't got AS3X but is still rock solid, and proper fast... The Cub is a joy to touch and go for 3 packs (18mins), and I like the AS3X in it.. I don't even notice it, it's so transparent, but Paul Marsh didn't like it at all.. ?! Each to their own..

Are you using the E-flite 180 lipo, or a 200.. ?? How long are the flights.. ?

How 'nice' is it to hand launch.? Have you tried a ROG..?

Tell me tell me.... I need one of these in my life..

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

• 1 month later...

Flew my little Mig the other night. Such fun! teeth 2

Very easy to hand launch, and does not need to be thrown like a javelin to get going.

Only problem was that following a roll the battery fell out and was dangling underneath! Brought it in for a bumpy landing and resulted in some impact damage on the nose. Quick insertion into hot water and all is well. I reckon that by jamming the power leads into the battery well it may have lifted the battery off the velcro. Better to leave the wires dangling down or perhaps put a bit of retaining velcro over the battery well to hold everything in place.

• 8 months later...

I've a Visionaire with AS3X installed and it really does work well and you can switch it to high or low gain.

Being a mode 2 man that throttle with the chin manoeuvre does seem strange...

My son is left handed which you might have thought was better for mode 1 but he still launches with his right hand and uses left finger/thumb on throttle/rudder as we're all mode 2.

Might keep an eye out for one of these round the shows - I'm still waiting to try out HK's version of AS3X